Confirmed with Link: Media makes a mountain of a molehill re: Chris Phillips quote

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scrub*

Team Canada
Dec 28, 2008
Phillips is my friend and I eat at his restaurant and stuff, how dare u guys. :sarcasm:

To be brutally honest, Phillips sucks.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Phillips is my friend and I eat at his restaurant and stuff, how dare u guys. :sarcasm:

To be brutally honest, Phillips sucks.

Not a fan of his restaurant either. His beer actually is decent. The food is a different story though. (My opinion).

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Not a fan of his restaurant either. His beer actually is decent. The food is a different story though. (My opinion).

Never had the food, only the beer. Pretty decent brew.

On the topic of Sens-owned establishments, I thought Central Bierhaus to be entirely overrated. Better than O'Connors was for sure, but not worth the bill you end up with once your done. It's trying to be a premium destination, and as a premium destination, it falls short.

Senateurs

Let's win it all
Feb 28, 2007
He's had a nice career but he's not a top 6 guy anymore. He used to be a rock defensively, now he's bad at the only thing he brings to a team. He's supposedly a leader but he's been sulking publicly ever since Spezza got the C. That could be bad influence in the dressing room and our future leader Lazar. The sooner we get rid of him, the better it will be for this team.

I know he gets a pass because he's been loyal to the team but I don't get why people line up to defend that guy.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
My issue isn't that he was thinking it. It's that he said it. And because if how he's perceived by the writers it's like some grand honest speech. If like alexandre semin said this it would be a totally dofferent story

Yeah he should know better, especially as someone who has been around for 1000+ games. Frustration probably took over here, he regrets saying it I bet.

Anyone who is outraged by this is likely either really young or just the greatest human being in the world.

SensEnforcer

Nov 23, 2008
Melbourne
Phillips has a good point, as an assistant captain and veteran on the team, its hard to give advice to the younger players and tell them to be patient when they are playing ahead of you in the lineup.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
This is why being candid is not encouraged in sports.

No problem with what he said, but realistically it's probably better to just tow the line with a statement like, "I'm just working hard in practice to get a chance to get back out there, and when I do I'll be ready."

It's obviously affecting him as I expect it would, but he's gonna have to get used to it if he wants to play in the league longer. Neil might be facing this same situation if not this year, probably next year. It's sad to see as a long time Sens fan but it's just the reality of the situation and at least they've got 10's of millions to sit on for the rest of their lives.

Last edited:

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
He's had a nice career but he's not a top 6 guy anymore. He used to be a rock defensively, now he's bad at the only thing he brings to a team. He's supposedly a leader but he's been sulking publicly ever since Spezza got the C. That could be bad influence in the dressing room and our future leader Lazar. The sooner we get rid of him, the better it will be for this team.

I know he gets a pass because he's been loyal to the team but I don't get why people line up to defend that guy.

Were not defending Phillips as a player here, just the taking out of context and exaggeration of his comments.

Would you rather we join in with our pitchforks just because he isn't a great player anymore? Might as well just start making false accusations willy nilly just to ruin his entire reputation!

Sigh.

Flip_4

Mar 22, 2006
Ottawa
Jesus ****ing christ.... THAT'S the quote?!?!?!?

How on god's ****ing green earth could you EVER IN A MILLION YEARS EVEN INFER FROM THAT QUOTE THAT PHILLIPS IS CHEERING FOR THE TEAM TO LOSE?!?!?

The guy even goes out of his way and says "Obviously I'm not hoping for that/a loss". HE SAYS THOSE EXACT ****ING WORDS. THE LITERAL OPPOSITE OF WHAT YOU ARE CLAIMING.

Get out of here with this Witch Hunt BS. Seriously. If you were a reporter and put this "Phillips cheers for Sens to lose" garbage in print, you'd be liable for libel.

You took the words right out of my mouth.

I can't believe that people would read that and suddenly turn him into the devil. Geez!!

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
This is why we can't have nice things......and are stuck with pro hockey players who are as bland as old dish water.

Heaven forbid someone talk honestly and say anything other than obviously, the guys are giving 100%, win one for the gipper, work hard, obviously, woof woof woof, system, team, blah blah blah.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
I think it shows more of an overall problem with the organization than Phillips himself.

What did Spezza say to TSN after he was traded? Something about it being nice to be on a team that is "committed to winning"?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Phillips has a good point, as an assistant captain and veteran on the team, its hard to give advice to the younger players and tell them to be patient when they are playing ahead of you in the lineup.

That's not what he said.

He said that it's conflicting getting excited about going back into the lineup, because if he's going in, it's one of the younger guys he's advising to be patient coming out and he knows full well that they want just as badly to be in the lineup as he does.

It has nothing to do with it being hard to give advice, or them being ahead of him in the lineup.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

Good point he probably shouldn't be on the team or wear a letter then. Same goes for Neil, if the Dallas Stars can part ways with Mike Modano surely the sens can with Chris Phillips.

He played well last night, maybe he needs to be sat out for motivation? His whole career he has struggled with inconsistency at moving the puck crisply. Now he is too slow to make up for it.

Karlsson2Turris*

There's some people offering insightful views (pro Phillips or anti Phillips) and there's people hating on the thread because of an exaggerated title.

Please try to stay on topic.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Good point he probably shouldn't be on the team or wear a letter then. Same goes for Neil, if the Dallas Stars can part ways with Mike Modano surely the sens can with Chris Phillips.

He played well last night, maybe he needs to be sat out for motivation? His whole career he has struggled with inconsistency at moving the puck crisply. Now he is too slow to make up for it.

What Dallas did was a smear on the organization and one of the more embarrassing moments of any franchise, and you want us to follow that lead?!? What the heck is wrong with you?

It's so clear that the line between real pro sports, and video games is so blurred with some of you. THIS IS REAL LIFE WITH REAL PEOPLE. YOU WOULDN'T TREAT SOMEONE RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU THAT WAY, WHY IN THE WORLD WOULD EXPECT OTHERS TO? Even worse, why would people advocate for others to be treated poorly anyways. This is sports fandom, which is based on loyalty, and yet you and others show none. I suppose this is the generation of the disposable heroes, have fun with that kiddos...

Cold hearted anonymous posters, easy to cheer for adversity on the sidelines, lots more difficult to face it yourselves.

So many terrible posts in the is thread.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
There's some people offering insightful views (pro Phillips or anti Phillips) and there's people hating on the thread because of an exaggerated title.

Please try to stay on topic.

Dude, you screwed up, and now you're trying to play the righteous poster calling for calm?

Take your licks and learn your lesson....

Last edited by a moderator:

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
I'm surprised some of you haven't used this in your smear campaign against Phillips...

http://thechronicleherald.ca/metro/...suspect-arrested-there-connected-to-chemicals

Who can blame him? After all these years of faithful service and now being a healthy scratch. He was already fed up , and now this thread. Really its too much.

I for one support him in this act of desperation.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...l-weapons-expert-arrested-in-ottawa-1.2921228

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad