Confirmed with Link: Mears and Errey fired

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I never watch Pregame, Between periods or Postgame I don't need someone to tell what is about to happen, what is happening or what happened

True to a degree. In the end it's not really that big a deal.

But bad PBP and/or color guys yammering on all game and consistently botching the play can wear on my nerves. The in-between period and pre/post game stuff I just go refresh my drink or make a sandwich or something.

EDIT: It wouldn't be good for more casual fans or people trying to learn the game but I'm kinda with @Big Friggin Dummy on this one -- just gimmie an ambient stream with the sounds of the game as opposed to a couple of meatheads blathering on about "old time hockey" or whatever.

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
Yeah, I'm cool with a rotation for the color analysts and it's kind of what I was expecting. I would Imagine Colby and Rupp split the majority of duties with Bourque getting a handful of TV games.

Factorial

Oct 7, 2019
In the old days, Lange did the games by himself and when on TV would be simulcast on both radio and TV.
Yeah, I'm cool with a rotation for the color analysts and it's kind of what I was expecting. I would Imagine Colby and Rupp split the majority of duties with Bourque getting a handful of TV games.

Borque when the other two are not available.

Victor Z

Trade me right f**king now!
Sponsor
Apr 10, 2018
The Burgh
Armstrong is OK and will probably only get better. All of Bourque, Rupp, and Caufield are definitely not my cup of tea.

Rupp is fine, and actually insightful sometimes; Caufield adds nothing aside from illustrating what is already obvious to everyone; Bourque is a blithering idiot who actually detracts from the enjoyment of the game unless you're a fan of having blood ooze out of your ears when he's talking.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Bourque is so bad. Awesome. I think he's at least Steigy level bad.

True to a degree. In the end it's not really that big a deal.

But bad PBP and/or color guys yammering on all game and consistently botching the play can wear on my nerves. The in-between period and pre/post game stuff I just go refresh my drink or make a sandwich or something.

EDIT: It wouldn't be good for more casual fans or people trying to learn the game but I'm kinda with @Big Friggin Dummy on this one -- just gimmie an ambient stream with the sounds of the game as opposed to a couple of meatheads blathering on about "old time hockey" or whatever.
I genuinely want this to progress to where you can pick different audio options like that. Seems like the technology would come eventually. I'd especially love it for group settings or multitask watching.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I genuinely want this to progress to where you can pick different audio options like that. Seems like the technology would come eventually. I'd especially love it for group settings or multitask watching.

Yes exactly. I get wanting to have it there if you want it. But I've been watching the sport so damned long that I don't really need two guys waxing on and on about how "you gotta dump the puck in there" or "they need more guys to go to the net" or "that play all goes back to the faceoff win" or whatever tired old ground these guys love to go over again and again. Just gimmie the game and I'm happy.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Yes exactly. I get wanting to have it there if you want it. But I've been watching the sport so damned long that I don't really need two guys waxing on and on about how "you gotta dump the puck in there" or "they need more guys to go to the net" or "that play all goes back to the faceoff win" or whatever tired old ground these guys love to go over again and again. Just gimmie the game and I'm happy.
Yep. Sadly mute just isn’t the same though. I want the sounds.

I think we need cable to officially die first and then streaming may bring more options like that.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004

I think we need cable to officially die first and then streaming may bring more options like that.

For sure... I want to hear the guys skating... the puck hitting the bar on the way in... the boards thundering when someone gets tagged... the roar of the crowd when someone gets sprung for a breakaway etc. I think a "just the game" feed would be awesome but I also get that people who are newer to the sport might be a little lost at times and the sport could always use new fans.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
For sure... I want to hear the guys skating... the puck hitting the bar on the way in... the boards thundering when someone gets tagged... the roar of the crowd when someone gets sprung for a breakaway etc. I think a "just the game" feed would be awesome but I also get that people who are newer to the sport might be a little lost at times and the sport could always use new fans.
yep you can't just get rid of it for sure. But a toggle would be amazing.

Reactions: Riptide

Factorial

Oct 7, 2019
All right I will say this. Bob Errey not being replaced with some kind of of job in the Pens organizations is just a stink fest and should not be tolerated by the garbage going on in todays society.

Friend Mario is gone.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
You have to remember these announcers and analysts are intended for casual fans. Some people actually learn the sport while watching. Of course we aren’t going to care about a guy pointing out what’s obvious to us. However, if my kids want to watch by themselves, they’ll be able to learn a bit by what’s being said.

I learned by watching, myself, so I think it’s important to remember that.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
I liked Errey. It's entirely possible that FSG proposed a reduced schedule for him, with the intent to work Armstrong, Rupp, etc. into the mix more, and Errey declined.

Or maybe he's just getting screwed.

Reactions: Riptide

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
It's weird to think that the announcers are so superfluous when Mike Lange defined the Pens for decades. The legacy of a great announcer is something the city still feels, it's part of the identity of the team. Dude will be gone to his eternal reward decades from now and people will still know some of those calls.

And I get trying to change the identity a bit as the city and team change, but man, like none of the options FSG picked are good ones.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh

yep you can't just get rid of it for sure. But a toggle would be amazing.

The toggles should be.

1. For the hockey knowledgeable fans. Like what you hear for practices. Play and fan reaction only.
Maybe pan to a couple dummies. (which would be hilarious)
Seg3JEq.png

2. Hockey for dummies.

The tech is already available. Give the viewer the choice.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

There's times I'd use it... but I'll be honest... I like having good PBP crews to listen to. I can watch the game and understand what's going on... but they can, because they're there live, see more than just what gets picked up on the TV feed. They also hear far more than we'll ever get on the TV feed. And it's those things I like getting from them.

And honestly, given how broadcasters get their revenue... I'm not sure they'd be willing to cut out their PBP audio as an optional feed. Something like that would only be available via some kind of streaming service anyway (to cut various audio feeds). I mean unless someone was going to pay extra for that feature... what is the incentive for it? That said... it would be nice. But it's not like I'm going to stop watching Pens games and switch to Rangers games for a feature like that...

Bc she's cute?

I mean it certainly doesn't hurt. Apparently she's been working hard for an opportunity like this. But lets not pretend that her appearance isn't a factor at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad