Confirmed with Link: Mears and Errey fired

SirBrad

Sep 30, 2009
Does anyone really listen to radio broadcasts anymore? Hockey is godawful on the radio. Replace it with AI bots for all I care.

While we're still on the topic, there's a ton of places people want to listen to a game, but not watch it: work, driving in their cars, riding the bus, at the game itself, and so on. A pure on-ice feed doesn't give you any ability to do that, whereas a PBP broadcast is perfect.

I spent so much of my youth listening to games while doing something else (studying, working night shifts, etc.) that I'm frankly a little shocked other people haven't done the same.

Exactly. I moved to the West Coast last year and watched most games about 2 hours after they actually ended by the time I had a chance to sit down and watch. I did pretty good at avoiding spoilers but I don't particularly care for watching sporting events after they've happened. I'm probably going to listen to more games on the radio this year at work and then during my drive home. Maybe catch the final period live when I get home and eat dinner with the fam.

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
When I end up listening to a sporting event on the radio I am usually surprised at how engaging I find it.

Reactions: td_ice

Dennis Reynolds

I have to have my tools!
Jun 10, 2011
Paddy's Pub
Mears was bland. Getzoff is just another flavor of bland. I'm not sure what warranted this change. I'm neither for nor against it. I just can't imagine listening to a Mears broadcast and thinking that Getzoff would be the solution.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
If only there was a well liked player from the glory days with both playing and broadcasting experience and some energy to liven things up while bringing some good hockey knowledge.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
If only there was a well liked player from the glory days with both playing and broadcasting experience and some energy to liven things up while bringing some good hockey knowledge.
Yes, well unfortunately no one jumps off the page in that regard so...

KrisLeturnover

Jan 17, 2021
I can't stand Caulfield, wish he followed Errey out the door.
Jay's aneurysm inducing telestration bits are a trademark of the brand at this point. Dude is impossible to follow.
1696713803245.png

metalan2

May 30, 2008
If anyone wants to know, ESPN plus is $10 a month and you can watch Penguin games if you live in Pgh by using a VPN if you don't have cable. I did it last year.

Reactions: SomeDude

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
What I wanna know is why living over 200 miles away the pens games on NHL are never shown.
I'm closer to Philly and dc and those games are never blacked out

• Wow
Reactions: LOGiK

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
New guys, whoever they are, are just your average run of the mill sports pbp and color.. mears was so awful and erry so senile... that was starting to be the accepted norm... but man were the bad singularly and worse together.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
What I wanna know is why living over 200 miles away the pens games on NHL are never shown.
I'm closer to Philly and dc and those games are never blacked out

A real problem with the league is no regularity to where the damn games are hosted. That AND blackouts.

Hockey? "How do you watch it?"
- Sometimes on ESPN at 6, 630, 7, 730, 8, 815, or 9-930 west coast.
- But it's also on this network called TNT. Might remember it from watching the Matrix at 10pm two decades ago in the cable era. Not sure how to watch that channel anymore. Ask a basketball fan.
- But also this network called NHL network.
- Oh by the way you'll have to check the new shit-tier NHL app that's more confusing than an AI-generated website with ads all over the place. That or the NHL website. There's no regularity to where YOUR team will be shown and on what day - just sporadically through the season. Good luck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad