Post-Game Talk: Meaningless game in November

Status
Not open for further replies.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Because despite giving up 6 goals, our biggest problem was still the fact that we had only scored 1 goal in 2 games. He shouldn't be that reactive to the bad game.

you mean our forwards were having trouble scoring, and our coach's adjustment was to put them in an even less scoring-friendly situation??!!?!?

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
This is only true if you believe every scoring chance is equal. I don't believe that, and I don't think you do either. More zone time will not only result in even more scoring chances, but it will result in better scoring chances.

They generated a ton of great chances in Game 1 and couldn't score.

You're not going to get a better chance than the one Malkin had late in Game 4...melee in front, Rask out of the crease, and Chara reaches out and stops it with his glove. That's the Pens scoring issues in the series in a nutshell.

SidDidNothingWrong

Beau's IcedCapp
Jan 2, 2014
I didn't read that as "both" so much as "a change in the top 2 lines". But if that's what he meant, yes, DB only changed 1 of the top 2 lines.

Offensive possession has nothing to do with it, m'man. If there are scoring chances, all that's left is to convert.

To me, the fear of fizzling out in the playoffs this year isn't as big of a fear as years past. When I watched the Pens last year lose, I was pissed, but not discouraged as to the future of this team. The score line simply did not indicate how close those games were. The scoring chances were even most of the time but Rask stood tall and then the frustration set in. People on this board say we absolutely need to fix the top 6 before thinking about a deep playoff run but I propose the opposite. The top 6 playmakers we already have need to finish. All of you guys see it, as I have seen your posts in this board. "Man, Sid used to be automatic from there." Sometimes he doesn't deke at all and shoots a predictable shot. This team just needs to finish. I have never seen another team in all of sports that can dominate so hard with shot totals and good scoring opportunities and still manage to lose the game. I really hate to jump on the "it is Fleury's/goaltending fault" bandwagon, but honestly it seems to be becoming more and more of a problem. We go out against a lottery team and shoot 25 shots in the first period, ravage their defense, hit the post 15 times and then Flower will give up a goal on the first shot he sees in the last 30 seconds of the period. I just wish we had a goalie like Ryan Miller, a guy who thrives on being left out to dry, so the free wheeling run 'n' gun offense we have can actually work.

Last edited:

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
you mean our forwards were having trouble scoring, and our coach's adjustment was to put them in an even less scoring-friendly situation??!!?!?

He not only took away puck support as a whole, but he kept the 3rd liner with the best playmaker in the world while simultaneously putting the hall of fame goal scorer on the third line. You tell me.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Because despite giving up 6 goals, our biggest problem was still the fact that we had only scored 1 goal in 2 games. He shouldn't be that reactive to the bad game.

Oh man, come on. Talk about damned if you do, damned if you don't. :laugh:

I should've known the "Bylsma never adjusts" mantra would get flipped to "Bylsma's too reactionary" once it was debunked. I just didn't think it would be you, haha.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
They generated a ton of great chances in Game 1 and couldn't score.

You're not going to get a better chance than the one Malkin had late in Game 4...melee in front, Rask out of the crease, and Chara reaches out and stops it with his glove. That's the Pens scoring issues in the series in a nutshell.

Then I guess we needed more chances. It stands to reason that more zone time would have helped with that.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
He not only took away puck support as a whole, but he kept the 3rd liner with the best playmaker in the world while simultaneously putting the hall of fame goal scorer on the third line. You tell me.

at least our forwards aren't emotional and easily frustrated. THAT would have exacerbated the situation!

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Oh man, come on. Talk about damned if you do, damned if you don't. :laugh:

I should've known the "Bylsma never adjusts" mantra would get flipped to "Bylsma's too reactionary" once it was debunked. I just didn't think it would be you, haha.

He doesn't know how to adjust is a better way to say it I guess. He didn't adjust the things that needed adjusting. He adjusted the defense when our biggest problem was our offense. He adjusted the powerplay when it was doing just fine with Iginla. But he kept Dupuis with Sid until the end. I don't get it.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
To me, the fear of fizzling out in the playoffs this year isn't as big of a fear as years past. When I watched the Pens last year lose, I was pissed, but not discouraged as to the future of this team. The score line simply did not indicate how close those games were. The scoring chances were even most of the time but Rask stood tall and then the frustration set in. People on this board say we absolutely need to fix the top 6 before thinking about a deep playoff run but I propose the opposite. The top 6 playmakers we already have need to finish. All of you guys see it, as I have seen your posts in this board. "Man, Sid used to be automatic from there." Sometimes he doesn't deke at all and shoots a predictable shot. This team just needs to finish.

Please stick around. We need fresh eyes.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
"If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. There's no point in being a damn fool about it."

W. C. Fields

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Then I guess we needed more chances. It stands to reason that more zone time would have helped with that.

More chances are always welcome, just not necessarily reasonable against a great team in the ECF. Boston didn't outchance us that series outside of Game 2, they were simply more opportunistic.

He doesn't know how to adjust is a better way to say it I guess. He didn't adjust the things that needed adjusting. He adjusted the defense when our biggest problem was our offense. He adjusted the powerplay when it was doing just fine with Iginla. But he kept Dupuis with Sid until the end. I don't get it.

I don't think his decision to play safer hockey was wrong at all, but I will agree that he should have tried to use Iggy differently, and his promise to Dupuis was Pejorative Slured. He's not blameless. I only ever contended that he did adjust, and that there was a lot of blame to go around.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I don't think his decision to play safer hockey was wrong at all, but I will agree that he should have tried to use Iggy differently, and his promise to Dupuis was Pejorative Slured. He's not blameless. I only ever contended that he did adjust, and that there was a lot of blame to go around.

Our priority should have been to get Sid and Geno going. That is the key to us winning playoff series. If they aren't going, we aren't winning. Its that simple. If they were doing well and we were giving up too many goals, then play safer hockey. But if they are getting shut out and frustrated, do something that will help them, not something that will actually make their jobs even harder.

I agree with the rest of that. Disco isn't the only problem. He wasn't the only problem the year before either. But he is consistently a problem imo.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
This team plays considerably better systematically and less sloppy when injuries hit. That is 100% a credit to Bylsma.

Too bad he can't do that when our stars are in the lineup though.
DB does seem to be able to maximize the impact of marginal players, I won't take that away from him. One thing I think you may have to consider about more strict systematic play is that many of those guys were coming fresh out of WBS. Naturally they are going to be more system oriented.

Though that doesn't explain why the rest of the team tightens up. I'm sure the coaches have something to do with that, which is why it is frustrating to see this hockey return when we get healthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad