Post-Game Talk: Meaningless game in November

Status
Not open for further replies.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
The Boston series and the Philly series have too many similarities to dismiss. Sid and Geno stopped playing quality hockey and started to get mixed up in the garbage right off the bat in both series. The only real difference is that we were in the Philly series because they were an awful team. Boston put us in our place like a legitimate contender should.

Both series were lost as soon as we stopped playing disciplined hockey. That's on the coach to reel the guys in and calm them down, and reinforce productive hockey. Were the players blameless? Absolutely not. But when guys get away from playing hockey and get into silly **** like that, it's one of the coach's main functions to bring them back.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
The struggles were completely different because the opponent was completely different. What was consistent was the lack of adjustments or an "answer" for the problem from Bylsma. When "Penguins hockey" doesn't work and the team become unraveled, he is completely clueless (or seems to be).

Bylsma did adjust (as much was acknowledged before Game 3 on the team site), which is why the Pens played better in Games 3 and 4.

The team just couldn't convert.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I disagree. We scored 2 goals in 4 games. We played more than 4 bad periods of hockey.

If you think we played poorly against the Bruins outside of the 3rd period of Game 1 and all of Game 2, then yeah, we're not going to agree.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
So they're different things because the same problem was semi-corrected in one year vs the other?

They're different things because although the Pens had discipline issues both years, it was addressed after Game 2 last year, and the problem boiled down to not being able to score.

Not being able to score in a series has been a complete aberration for this team the last couple years.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Bylsma did adjust (as much was acknowledged before Game 3 on the team site), which is why the Pens played better in Games 3 and 4.

The team just couldn't convert.

Alright it's obvious you have an excuse for everything and that's cool. Being optimistic is a good thing. I will be interested to hear your interpretation of the results this year if the Pens fail to meet expectations again.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
They're different things because although the Pens had discipline issues both years, it was addressed after Game 2 last year, and the problem boiled down to not being able to score.

Not being able to score in a series has been a complete aberration for this team the last couple years.

Boston was by far the best team we've played in that time. They took advantage of the same problems, they were just much better at doing it. They came in prepared to counter Penguins Hockey, and Disco didn't have a damn clue what to do about it.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Alright it's obvious you have an excuse for everything and that's cool. Being optimistic is a good thing. I will be interested to hear your interpretation of the results this year if the Pens fail to meet expectations again.

you have unrealistic expectations

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
My thoughts exactly. I can't stand people using advanced metrics (zone starts, GAA, GF) for comparing Sill and Gladams. They're linemates...

That's cool. I can't stand people ignoring pretty damning statistics because they don't like what they say. Sill's numbers aren't just awful compared to Adams and Glass - they are awful compared to anyone. But it's all good. The groupthink has spoken.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
The article pointing out Bylsma for adjusting between games fails to point out that he was adjusting an idiotic plan and finally caving in to commonsense and doing what he should have been doing all along. Playing the correct players in correct roles.

Also, it was two games too late. They were already under Sid, Geno and Neal's skin by then, and it's tough to come back after having thrown away two games against a very good team. Everyone in the league knows that if you get Sid and Geno off of their games, you're going to have an EXTREMELY easy time against the Penguins. Plain and simple, that's why so many guys take runs at them during play and throw cheap shots after the whistle. It's no secret, and while it's on the guys to play a more composed game and stay away from that stuff, it's on Bylsma to make damn sure they don't fall into those pitfalls.

Everyone talks about how teams can shut down Sid and Geno come playoff time. Nobody shuts down Sid and Geno, they get them to stop playing the brand of hockey that makes them successful. If Sid and Geno continue to play composed, they're not capable of both being shut down. It's when they get frustrated and stray from the offensively dominant play and start to get involved in the ****-stirring that those guys--and the team with them--crumble.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

Everyone here only seems to be watching so they can bet on the field vs. the Pens anyway, haha. I'm expecting to be inundated with "I told you sos".

Boston was by far the best team we've played in that time. They took advantage of the same problems, they were just much better at doing it. They came in prepared to counter Penguins Hockey, and Disco didn't have a damn clue what to do about it.

That must be why they looked so overmatched in the first 2 periods of Game 1. Julien countered DB, then DB countered Julien. We lost tight games because our stars couldn't convert for the life of them.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
The 2nd line was changed. The top line wasn't.

I didn't read that as "both" so much as "a change in the top 2 lines". But if that's what he meant, yes, DB only changed 1 of the top 2 lines.

That happens when you can't maintain offensive possession.

Offensive possession has nothing to do with it, m'man. If there are scoring chances, all that's left is to convert.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
That's cool. I can't stand people ignoring pretty damning statistics because they don't like what they say. Sill's numbers aren't just awful compared to Adams and Glass - they are awful compared to anyone. But it's all good. The groupthink has spoken.

are Jonathan Blum and Chris Mueller the best players in the NHL?

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
you don't think you end up with better quality scoring chances when you have more offensive zone time?

Scoring chances are one of the goals of offensive possession.

If you want to talk about maintaining offensive possession to limit the other team's opportunities, that's another argument. If you're talking about our inability to score, then complaining about a lack of offensive possession despite getting scoring chances is moot.

All any coach can hope to generate is scoring chances. After that, it's on the players to exploit those chances.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Scoring chances are one of the goals of offensive possession.

If you want to talk about maintaining offensive possession to limit the other team's opportunities, that's another argument. If you're talking about our inability to score, then complaining about a lack of offensive possession despite getting scoring chances is moot.

All any coach can hope to generate is scoring chances. After that, it's on the players to exploit those chances.

This is only true if you believe every scoring chance is equal. I don't believe that, and I don't think you do either. More zone time will not only result in even more scoring chances, but it will result in better scoring chances.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Disco's biggest adjustment after game 2 was to play safer defense. Our D-men played so safely they were a non-factor in the O-zone. We had even less puck support than normal in the O Zone. We gave up less goals, but we were putting even more pressure on Sid and Geno to carry the offense. Against the best defensive team in the league. While they were already frustrated both by being targeted physically, and by our lack of offense. Most of our chances were one and done rushes.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
you don't think you end up with better quality scoring chances when you have more offensive zone time?

Disco's biggest adjustment after game 2 was to play safer defense. Out D-men played so safely they were a non-factor in the O-zone. We had even less puck support than normal in the O Zone. We gave up less goals, but we were putting even more pressure on Sid and Geno to carry the offense. Against the best defensive team in the league. While they were already frustrated both by being targeted physically, and by our lack of offense.

We let in 6 goals the previous game, man. I don't know why anyone would expect DB to do anything other than adjust to play a tighter game and count on his superstars to convert on their chances.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
We let in 6 goals the previous game, man. I don't know why anyone would expect DB to do anything other than adjust to play a tighter game and count on his superstars to convert on their chances.

Because despite giving up 6 goals, our biggest problem was still the fact that we had only scored 1 goal in 2 games. He shouldn't be that reactive to the bad game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad