MDSF Thread: Columbus vs. Pittsburgh (All general series talk here)

JacketFanInFL

Brick by Brick
Mar 27, 2006
Central FL
That as a Pittsburgh fan, it's awesome that Columbus has came around to the team that they are today. You guys are 180 miles away and I would be more than happy to make the drive just to be a part of your culture when we face off against each other. For the fans that have stuck with the team since the beginning through the hard years, you guys are dedicated fans (much like us Pirates fans who have stuck with the team through all their losing seasons are true fans.)

The CBJ resemble a less-talented Bruins (no offense) without all of the cheap shots and the crybaby coach behind the bench. If you guys oust us, which I pray will happen for the sake of getting our inevitable exit over with and this estranged, arm-folding POS we call a coach fired, I hope that you guys make it far because the Jackets deserve it. You can see it when they play on the ice, players hungry for a win and not a paycheck. It's refreshing to see that in hockey especially since you've been watching the exact opposite from your own home team the entire season (and past seasons.)

Sincerely,

A Pens fan who will root for the Jackets if (hopefully) they beat us.

I don't want to start a war, but how can you be hoping for your team to lose? That is ass backwards.

Heinze 57

Jan 3, 2009
Cincinnati, Oh
They think that Bylsma is the reason they haven't won every Stanley Cup since winning the Stanley Cup with Bylsma in 2009. They're greedy and spoiled.

I'm a big Reds fan and I couldn't stand Dusty Baker and I knew that if the Reds lost in the playoffs last year that would probably mean the end of Dusty Baker. Was I hoping for a Reds loss? Of course not. Where I come from postseason appearances are rare and not to be taken for granted. I will never feel okay with one of my teams losing in the playoffs. When they lost and fired Dusty Baker did I feel good about it? No, I'd have rather watched my team win.

CarolinaBlueJacket

Mar 3, 2011
North Carolina
I don't want to start a war, but how can you be hoping for your team to lose? That is ass backwards.

:nod: This team won the division in runaway fashion and was in the conference finals last year! This team has won too much and a good number of the fans do not appreciate winning any more. They need to feel what it feels like to exit early and hopefully the Jackets will grant their wish.

Last edited:

Brifo823

Apr 25, 2014
Ranger fan here. I remember when Rick Nash was traded to us and all the complaining from Blue Jacket fans about "Who are these guys we got back. We told you that you would grow to love Dubinski and Anisomov isn't bad either. Plus you go Erixon and a pick. Good job so far against Pitt. so far. Now finish them.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
Nice/interesting perspective from PIT writer from Columbus.

And, man, the other side – both the team and the city – is just happy to be at the table and getting fed. They are ravenous, they are happy, they are loving life right now. And they won’t go away. The Jackets have three 20-to-21-year-old budding stars in Ryan Johansen, Boone Jenner and Ryan Murray. They have a good goaltender in former Flyer and 2013 Vezina Trophy winner Sergei Bobrovsky.

And they have mostly otherwise a kennel full of mutts who dump and chase and crack heads on the boards and compete with the tenacity of guard dogs. They just don’t give a damn. They and their fans are having a blast, free of mandate. It won’t ever be like this again.

Sports are so full of joy when it’s like this. When after an interminable drought, suddenly the skies open up and you’re laughing and playing in the glorious rain and rolling around mindlessly in the mud thinking, hey, win or lose, how much fun is this?

http://www.pennlive.com/sports/index.ssf/2014/04/penguins_fighting_their_own_he.html

Bobcat110

Feb 11, 2004
Central Ohio

Yeah...I'm not sure if they know how that looks to other fan bases. I get that the Pens have two of the top 5 players in the world and feel they should be in Stanley Cup Finals every year. But to tell CBJ fans who had never experienced any post-season victories until this week that "we hope we lose to you so we can get people fired because we've only won one Stanley Cup in the last 8 years" doesn't translate like they think it does.

In the end, if it happens, they'll still believe they were the superior team, just that their coach, goaltender, Sid and Geno were at fault. Not that the CBJ earned anything.

To be fair, OSU fans have done it. They hated John Cooper. He won enough to be in New Years day bowls, but couldn't win the big games. Fans hoping he slipped up enough to finally get fired.

We went to the 1993 Citrus Bowl vs. Georgia. My girlfriend (now wife) thought she was an OSU fan at the time and we were in Orlando for a wedding. She ended up confronting an OSU fan behind us asking "Why did you pay to come to this bowl and just sit and ***** about John Cooper the whole game." I think I broke her of the OSU cult that day. God love her:D

CarolinaBlueJacket

Mar 3, 2011
North Carolina

Exactly. I mentioned to one of the Pens fans the other day how it must not be much fun to be a Pens fan. I do this for entertainment and for fun. If its not entertaining and fun I am outta here. Don't get me wrong I have stuck with the team the entire time through some incredible lows. I was at the first preseason game and first regular season game. I had season tickets for years. I moved out of state and stuck with the team. So don't consider me a soft fan. But the moment its not fun I will find something else to do.

I can't imagine having this attitude of wanting to fire the coach the year after he took the team to the conference finals and just won the division. You know, as good as Crosby and Malkin are maybe they are not as good as everyone thinks they are. Don't get me wrong they are 2 of the best players in the league that doesn't mean that they should win the Cup every year ala Gretzky and Messier in Edmonton. Crosby is no Gretzky and Malkin is no Messier.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

It's the same sort of mentality that has folks wanting to tank when the team isn't doing well. Don't care for it at all, but, hey, if it keeps their fans unmotivated so they lose home-ice advantage, I won't complain overmuch.
evilsmile.gif

CarolinaBlueJacket

Mar 3, 2011
North Carolina
It's the same sort of mentality that has folks wanting to tank when the team isn't doing well. Don't care for it at all, but, hey, if it keeps their fans unmotivated so they lose home-ice advantage, I won't complain overmuch.
evilsmile.gif

I don't know. I understand tanking at the end of the season to improve your draft pick but when you have a great team like the Pens and went to the conference finals last year and won your division this year its lunacy. :shakehead

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
Yeah...I'm not sure if they know how that looks to other fan bases. I get that the Pens have two of the top 5 players in the world and feel they should be in Stanley Cup Finals every year. But to tell CBJ fans who had never experienced any post-season victories until this week that "we hope we lose to you so we can get people fired because we've only won one Stanley Cup in the last 8 years" doesn't translate like they think it does.

In the end, if it happens, they'll still believe they were the superior team, just that their coach, goaltender, Sid and Geno were at fault. Not that the CBJ earned anything.

To be fair, OSU fans have done it. They hated John Cooper. He won enough to be in New Years day bowls, but couldn't win the big games. Fans hoping he slipped up enough to finally get fired.

We went to the 1993 Citrus Bowl vs. Georgia. My girlfriend (now wife) thought she was an OSU fan at the time and we were in Orlando for a wedding. She ended up confronting an OSU fan behind us asking "Why did you pay to come to this bowl and just sit and ***** about John Cooper the whole game." I think I broke her of the OSU cult that day. God love her:D

It's simple, losing makes us a better team in the coming 5 years. I'm not actively rooting for them to lose, BUT if we dont win the cup; id rather lose in the first round to ensure those necessary changes happen.

Yeah we are spoiled; but I was also a fan in our dark years and that team is less infuriating as this one. It's like winning the lottery twice, with crosby and malkin; then surrounding yourself with a bunch of coke heads and smoke yourself and your money away. If we lose; we're at least getting ourselves into rehab with half our money left.

Bobcat110

Feb 11, 2004
Central Ohio
It's simple, losing makes us a better team in the coming 5 years. I'm not actively rooting for them to lose, BUT if we dont win the cup; id rather lose in the first round to ensure those necessary changes happen.

Yeah we are spoiled; but I was also a fan in our dark years and that team is less infuriating as this one. It's like winning the lottery twice, with crosby and malkin; then surrounding yourself with a bunch of coke heads and smoke yourself and your money away. If we lose; we're at least getting ourselves into rehab with half our money left.

Yes. It is simple to understand what the Pens fans think will happen. No one is misunderstanding that.

However, it should also be simple to understand why it comes off as arrogance to non-Pens fans. We didn't win the lottery. We've had blue collar our way here and weren't gifted anything. But, it is kind of fun to watch the rich guy piss his winnings away on "Coke". So, hopefully, CBJ will be able take the Pens place in the 2nd round.

Last edited:

IHeartZherdev*

Losing this series, as opposed to in the next round isn't going to change Kris Letang's contract.

CarolinaBlueJacket

Mar 3, 2011
North Carolina
Yes. It is simple to understand what the Pens fans think will happen. No one is misunderstanding that.

However, it should also be simple to understand why it comes off as arrogance to non-Pens fans. We didn't win the lottery. We've had blue collar our way here and weren't gifted anything. But, it is kind of fun to watch the rich guy piss his winnings away on "Coke". So, hopefully, CBJ will be able take the Pens place in the 2nd round.

And even when we traded to get our lottery pick, Nash, we traded him for more blue collar. So yeah not a whole lotta sympathy for the Pens because their Ferrari is the wrong SHADE of red.

FifthLine

@AHartScout
Jul 2, 2011
toronto
As a leafs fan, I am pulling for the jackets. I admire the way your team plays. I wish the leafs play like you guys did. Good luck.

chaking

Oct 10, 2007
Seattle
One Pittsburgh writer who covers the Penguins shared with me in a text when I asked him of the crowd in Columbus for Game 4, the following: “Was absolutely insane. Literally twice as loud as I’ve ever heard Consol. Ears were ringing an hour after game.
http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2014/04/25/colin-dunlap-you-can-learn-from-columbus-fans/

Of course a lot of the article (just like 90% of the coverage of the blue jackets in the postseason) was patronizing... but I guess you have to start somewhere.

Interesting:
Elias Sports Bureau confirmed Thursday that never before has the winning team rallied from two or more goals behind four times in a series, let alone four in a row.

Patronizing:
What shaped up as the NHL's least-interesting first-round matchup has morphed into something wild, riveting and wholly unprecedented.

“It's unreal,†said the man from Elias.

So is this: The Columbus Blue Jackets are playing the 109-point Penguins to a standstill.
http://triblive.com/sports/joestarkey/5983382-74/penguins-game-team#axzz2zugPpyh1

CapnCornelius

Oct 28, 2006
Game 5 - Road Trip Road Call

Who is braving Consol tomorrow for the game? Where the heck is there to hang out pre-game? I'm leaning towards the Church Brew Works because, unless things have drastically changed, there's never been anything worthwhile by the arena.

Should be a good one. This is full circle for me--grew up rooting against the Pens at the Civic Arena. Thankfully, unlike Kings fans, for example, the Pens fans don't spit on you.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
Who is braving Consol tomorrow for the game? Where the heck is there to hang out pre-game? I'm leaning towards the Church Brew Works because, unless things have drastically changed, there's never been anything worthwhile by the arena.

Should be a good one. This is full circle for me--grew up rooting against the Pens at the Civic Arena. Thankfully, unlike Kings fans, for example, the Pens fans don't spit on you.

Wish I was. Really, really wish I was. I went last Saturday and it was incredible. Hope it is the same for you!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad