MDSF Thread: Columbus vs. Pittsburgh (All general series talk here)

blujax

Jun 5, 2008
No one wants Bylsma fired because they don't win the cup every year. I've wanted him fired for YEARS now because he is a bad coach. He is mind-numbingly, infuriatingly, awful. Every single game he will do something that literally makes you want to stop watching. We need to lose this series because it's the only way we'll have another shot at the cup before Crosby and Malkin are 30-something.

Stop acting like it's anything other than that.
Lol 'you've wanted bylsma fired for years now'? When was that? 2010? 2011? He wins u a cup in 09 and u turn on him a year later?

That's the difference between pit fans and Cbj fans right there. We stick with our guys thru and thru. And when we do lose, we don't go around trying to justify to ourselves by blaming everything on the coach or a few players. Maybe the other team is just better than u?

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
...That's the difference between pit fans and Cbj fans right there. We stick with our guys thru and thru. And when we do lose, we don't go around trying to justify to ourselves by blaming everything on the coach or a few players...

Either you're joking or you just arrived on this board within the last few days.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
I don't know if sarcasm was intended but it reads more genuine that way.

OK, I'll go with that.

Nice Cannon Fodder podcast from the Dispatch guys, yesterday. I was particularly amused by Arace ragging on the Chilli Chant after the tying goal Wednesday. Most of the conversation revolved around the crowd, the city, and the uniqueness of this experience. There is only one "first time," so we'll probably never be as excited and enthused as we are now. Win a few Cups and we'll feel just as entitled and whiny as Pens fans!

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
My guess is they are contractually required to play that. Imagine if we win the Cup (someday) at home in the final 5 seconds by a score of 3-2.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
Eh, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. In the case of the Capitals, I felt like they jumped the gun too soon on Boudreau that year. The Ducks brought him in right away, and the change was immediate. I think it's no secret why the Ducks went from middle of the pack to Cup contender. Bruce Boudreau is a hell of a coach.

Must be something about the change that happens when you fire an ex-NHLer of a coach to bring in an excellent ex-IHLer who was fired from his previous job due to circumstances mostly beyond his control involving the GM's inability to put together a multi-dimensional roster with depth.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Must be something about the change that happens when you fire an ex-NHLer of a coach to bring in an excellent ex-IHLer who was fired from his previous job due to circumstances mostly beyond his control involving the GM's inability to put together a multi-dimensional roster with depth.

Cleaning house today...

I mentioned it the day Barry Trotz was let go from Nashville. My money is on him to be the next guy to try and get Ovechkin to play like a teammate.

Palinka

Dec 19, 2007
Cleaning house today...

I mentioned it the day Barry Trotz was let go from Nashville. My money is on him to be the next guy to try and get Ovechkin to play like a teammate.

The next coach of Washington will have an easy job. Ownership is obviously no longer putting up with Alexander Ovechkin's shenanigans, and he'll be sent elsewhere if he and the others don't figure out quickly how to shut up and play like a team.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
well now that Columbus and Pittsburgh have met in the postseason, does one of their games get featured on NBCSN's Wednesday Night Rivalry next season?

There's a good chance, since NBC finds a way to broadcast at least 100 Penguins games a year. Even if they don't play in that many.

Cash for Nash

May 13, 2012
There's a good chance, since NBC finds a way to broadcast at least 100 Penguins games a year. Even if they don't play in that many.

:laugh:

Seriously what is the "hard on" NBC has with them. It's not like they're even a big hockey market. Is Sidney Crosby really "that big" of a can't miss attraction. They've only won one cup in the last 10 years right? Why are they such the network darling?

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.

Seriously what is the "hard on" NBC has with them. It's not like they're even a big hockey market. Is Sidney Crosby really "that big" of a can't miss attraction. They've only won one cup in the last 10 years right? Why are they such the network darling?

Seriously, if you took the entire lineup of games NBC/NBC Sports broadcasted all year, I guarantee that at least a third of them involved the Penguins. And, to that fact, the other two thirds involved one of the NY Rangers, Flyers, Red Wings, Bruins, Capitals, or Blackhawks.

I would love to see them spread the wealth a little bit. Not just for the CBJ, but for some of the other entertaining, but under the radar NHL teams.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Disturbing stats.

Aaron Portzline ‏@Aportzline 12m
#CBJ D James Wisniewski is minus-6 in this series after a minus-2 tonight. That's 324th out of 324 skaters who have played in post-season.

Additionally, I was looking at the playoff stats and Nick Foligno only has 1 shot on goal. I know he has missed the first 2 games but 1 shot on goal is bad even though it was 1 huge shot. Even Blake Comeau and Jack Skille have managed 7 shots each in this series.

Hugg

Aug 2, 2005
Columbus
Foligno really doesn't shoot much. He only had 111 shots on goal in 70 games in the regular season (and still had 18 goals).

1 in 3 games is still way too low though, obviously.

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
Disturbing stats.

Aaron Portzline ‏@Aportzline 12m
#CBJ D James Wisniewski is minus-6 in this series after a minus-2 tonight. That's 324th out of 324 skaters who have played in post-season.

Additionally, I was looking at the playoff stats and Nick Foligno only has 1 shot on goal. I know he has missed the first 2 games but 1 shot on goal is bad even though it was 1 huge shot. Even Blake Comeau and Jack Skille have managed 7 shots each in this series.

Wiz has been bad. Lost in the euphoria of the Game 4 win, I just couldn't believe how terrible he looked that game.

Whale Mingo

Nov 18, 2012
Seriously, if you took the entire lineup of games NBC/NBC Sports broadcasted all year, I guarantee that at least a third of them involved the Penguins. And, to that fact, the other two thirds involved one of the NY Rangers, Flyers, Red Wings, Bruins, Capitals, or Blackhawks.

I would love to see them spread the wealth a little bit. Not just for the CBJ, but for some of the other entertaining, but under the radar NHL teams.

It's actually pretty simple. You don't have to like Sid to understand he is the biggest name in the game right now. That may change soon, but for now it is what it is. The comment a few posts back about ONLY winning one Cup in 10 years is a little silly. Ask Sid's biggest haters in Jeremy Roenick and Mike Milburry how many Cups they wish they would have won. Winning A Cup, ANY Cup is a big deal.

Otherwise when it comes to prime time spotlight games you have to figure Eastern teams will always get the nod over Western teams simply because NBC wants people who aren't tuning in already to watch, and that isn't happening at 10:00 EST here in the East for a game involving Anaheim and San Jose as good as a game as that is. So yes, Pittsburgh, Philly, New York, Boston and Washington are gonna get that prime time spot a lot simply for geographical reasons, not because NBC has any love affair for Sid. NBC loves one thing and one thing only, money.

I would imagine with the series playing out like it is you will see Columbus in that spot more next year and yes, NBC will try to make a rivalry out of CBJ/PIT, it's good for TV ratings. CBJ is gaining a lot of fans around the league right now if only because most fans outside of Pittsburgh are rooting against the Pens. That's how it works these days and I'm sure folks in Columbus will be smart enough to figure out how to turn that into marketing gold, as they should.

Good luck the rest of the way. I still don't understand the hate trying to be generated, I wish EVERY series and EVERY team it didn't have to be this way. Again, that's just how it is these days.......

If you want to hate on Pittsburgh for the sake of hating then let me know and I'll get out of the way, but I'll throw in some facts for you to chew on about Pittsburgh not being a big hockey market. This season will mark the 5th in a row Pittsburgh has the highest share of any NHL team when it comes to local TV viewership. If being #1 of 30 isn't a big market then the market is doomed, no?

Last edited:

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
It's actually pretty simple. You don't have to like Sid to understand he is the biggest name in the game right now. That may change soon, but for now it is what it is. The comment a few posts back about ONLY winning one Cup in 10 years is a little silly. Ask Sid's biggest haters in Jeremy Roenick and Mike Milburry how many Cups they wish they would have won. Winning A Cup, ANY Cup is a big deal.

I believe you're mis-quoting me here, as I wasn't the one who mentioned only winning one Cup.

At any rate, it's easy for you, being a Penguins fan, to have an approach such as this one. For us Jackets fans, who have only seen our team on national television a handful of times over the last 14 years, it makes little to no sense. After all, there's a reason our team flew under the radar this season; and there's a reason there are so damn many Penguins or Rangers fans throughout the country ... it's simply the only two teams anyone gets to watch.

Awful hard to tell people in this area about the CBJ, because most of them have never heard of them. So yes, many of us are bitter towards NBC and their coverage of the same handful of teams all year. It shows us no respect, and gives us little chance to win new fans over (outside of Columbus).

Hence the hatred.

Whale Mingo

Nov 18, 2012
I believe you're mis-quoting me here, as I wasn't the one who mentioned only winning one Cup.

At any rate, it's easy for you, being a Penguins fan, to have an approach such as this one. For us Jackets fans, who have only seen our team on national television a handful of times over the last 14 years, it makes little to no sense. After all, there's a reason our team flew under the radar this season; and there's a reason there are so damn many Penguins or Rangers fans throughout the country ... it's simply the only two teams anyone gets to watch.

Awful hard to tell people in this area about the CBJ, because most of them have never heard of them. So yes, many of us are bitter towards NBC and their coverage of the same handful of teams all year. It shows us no respect, and gives us little chance to win new fans over (outside of Columbus).

Hence the hatred.

I think you may have misunderstood my point, which was, you/Columbus shouldn't take it personally as NBC is just chasing ratings from geographies that make sense popularity and population wise. This is no different from other sports leagues. The NFL has the Steelers playing 5 prime time/national TV games this coming season. Why? Because the country really wants to see an 8-8 team play in prime time? Of course not, it's because the Steelers have so many fans around the country that it's good for ratings, nothing else.

Even if you don't win this series you have made a name for yourself and caught the attention of Penguin haters around the league. My money says you end up on several Wednesday games against the Pens as well as the Wings and probably Chicago and whomever eventually wins the Cup. There is nothing but upside for Columbus hockey at this point. If I could buy stock in them I would at this point.

I added the comment about the one cup in ten years after my original post and yes, it was not one of your quotes so for that I apologize.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
I think you may have misunderstood my point, which was, you/Columbus shouldn't take it personally as NBC is just chasing ratings from geographies that make sense popularity and population wise. This is no different from other sports leagues. The NFL has the Steelers playing 5 prime time/national TV games this coming season. Why? Because the country really wants to see an 8-8 team play in prime time? Of course not, it's because the Steelers have so many fans around the country that it's good for ratings, nothing else.

Even if you don't win this series you have made a name for yourself and caught the attention of Penguin haters around the league. My money says you end up on several Wednesday games against the Pens as well as the Wings and probably Chicago and whomever eventually wins the Cup. There is nothing but upside for Columbus hockey at this point. If I could buy stock in them I would at this point.

I added the comment about the one cup in ten years after my original post and yes, it was not one of your quotes so for that I apologize.

you're both right...NBC will put teams on that gain ratings...its a chicken and egg argument, would Columbus draw better ratings if more people knew about them? or no...really no way to quantify who's right as far as I know

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
you're both right...NBC will put teams on that gain ratings...its a chicken and egg argument, would Columbus draw better ratings if more people knew about them? or no...really no way to quantify who's right as far as I know

Like Pittsburgh, Columbus almost always draws great ratings for the Winter Classic, All-Star Games, Frozen Four, Olympic hockey and Stanley Cup Finals. A good compromise would be to see more CBJ-PIT, CBJ-NYR, CBJ-WASH and so on games on NBCSN and NBC.

Whale Mingo

Nov 18, 2012
Like Pittsburgh, Columbus almost always draws great ratings for the Winter Classic, All-Star Games, Frozen Four, Olympic hockey and Stanley Cup Finals. A good compromise would be to see more CBJ-PIT, CBJ-NYR, CBJ-WASH and so on games on NBCSN and NBC.

I honestly think you will get your wish for a couple reasons. You've made fans outside Columbus notice you by playing so well this series AND you have the All-Star game next year. I'm not sure you will find a better opportunity as a franchise to garner more public interest.

CarolinaBlueJacket

Mar 3, 2011
North Carolina
Its simple. NBC will air what will give them ratings. Unfortunately there are only a handful of teams that will give any sort of ratings at all and none of them are Columbus, Nashville, Phoenix, Florida etc. If the Jackets win a Cup or get to the Finals the they will be on there much more often.

Until the I hope the Jackets win Game 6 tomorrow night.

cbjgirl

Just thinking
Jan 19, 2006
about last summer.
There was an Anisimov discussion in the GDT for game 5.

My opinion, it isn't that Arty has been bad, rather it seems like that combo just isn't clicking for whatever reason. I expect more from that line, but the errant passes and lost pucks... it has just been bad - the combo, not necessarily what any one individual on that line has been doing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad