McKinnon-Rantanen best tandem in NHL?

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
MacKinnon*

Yes this year they are. I assume they will be for years to come unless this season from MacKinnon is a fluke somehow, which I find very unlikely.

I really doubt it's a fluke. The tools were always there. Even if you point to his highish shooting percentage, you have to also factor in he has almost 260 shots on goal and has a shot of finishing the season with 300+ shots on goal. Even with an average S%, he would still be near PPG.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Brad Marchand
2017-20185831447530
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Bargeron
2017-20185527275426
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Bergeron is below PPG. Both have a really good +/- though.

Last 10g

Marchand

7g 10a 17p +1

Bergeron

5g 5a 10p and +2

I have a hard time putting them above MacKinnon and Rantanen for now. Earlier in the season they were better but now they are not even close. Pointwise Rantanen and acKinnon are way above. Only in the defensive aspect the bruins duo wins this.

You just showed how Marchand has 75 points in 58 games?

Bruins duo is AINEC on defensive play, the only thing the Colorado duo wins right now is the points.
Bruins duo is the best match up duo in the league.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Havent you heard? Rantanen is a bad player and a leech.

At least thats what the people who never watch Avs but know that Mackinnon is really good say.

Wasn’t that long ago that this board was littered with the following (mostly from Leafs fans)

Nylander >>> Rantanen
Matthews >>> MacKinnon

Here we are today, and it’s reversed completely.. AINEC.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
I’m not arguing that having the puck like that isn’t apart of being a good two way line, but regardless it’s still Bergy and Marchand.

I don't disagree with your conclusion at all. But, I think the "two way play" argument is closer than the relative defensive skills would indicate, due to how effectively some of the other duos control the puck in the offensive zone.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I don't disagree with your conclusion at all. But, I think the "two way play" argument is closer than the relative defensive skills would indicate, due to how effectively some of the other duos control the puck in the offensive zone.

Well that would mean that Bergeron and Marchand struggle transitioning the puck to the O zone and cycling the puck and possessing the in the O zone for it to be close. And now I don’t watch the Bruins on a consistent basis, but I’d assume their transition and possession play is at least around the same level as Mack and Rants. Mack and Rants possession and transition play isn’t THAT much better that it makes 2 way play that close between the duos.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
MacKinnon and Rantanen seem to have that special chemistry. Are they the current best tandem in the NHL? Both are over PPG and the last 10 games look like this:

MacKinnon 10gp 9g 11a 20p +10

Rantanen 10gp 6g 14a 20p +11

They seem to find eachother really well on the ice and have a blast playing together. You can really see they enjoy hockey now.
Atm sure with kuch and stamkos not playing together

Avelanche

#freeRedmond
Jun 11, 2011
Boston
Maybe the best duo but best line has to be bergeron Marchand and Pastrnak. bergeron and Marchand always seem to have the best line when they get a good 3rd guy to play with them.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
Marchand / Bergeron are better.

Yeah they have some plug named David on their other wing to help them out. Landeskog is literally just on the line to rough it up along the boards, play infront of the net and be a distraction.

Only duo that comes close this season is Stamkos/Kucherov but the fact they've played on separate lines on occasion leads me to give Mikko and MacK the edge.

3rdLiner

Jan 21, 2011
Cape Cod
Yeah they have some plug named David on their other wing to help them out. Landeskog is literally just on the line to rough it up along the boards, play infront of the net and be a distraction.

Only duo that comes close this season is Stamkos/Kucherov but the fact they've played on separate lines on occasion leads me to give Mikko and MacK the edge.

Didn't realize landeskog hit plug territory.

Reactions: cgf

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
MacKinnon and Rantanen seem to have that special chemistry. Are they the current best tandem in the NHL? Both are over PPG and the last 10 games look like this:

MacKinnon 10gp 9g 11a 20p +10

Rantanen 10gp 6g 14a 20p +11

They seem to find eachother really well on the ice and have a blast playing together. You can really see they enjoy hockey now.

Give them a few years and they might have the 2way excellence of marchand/bergeron

Braunbaer

May 21, 2012
You are using a sample of the last 10 games to judge who is better and on top of that, you only use points production. That's where you are making the mistake.

He has a valid point.
Marchand and Bergeron played like ... what? 20 - 30 games together in their career?

Unlike MacKinnon and Rantanen who have been tearing up the league for years.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad