McKinnon-Rantanen best tandem in NHL?

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
MacKinnon and Rantanen seem to have that special chemistry. Are they the current best tandem in the NHL? Both are over PPG and the last 10 games look like this:

MacKinnon 10gp 9g 11a 20p +10

Rantanen 10gp 6g 14a 20p +11

They seem to find eachother really well on the ice and have a blast playing together. You can really see they enjoy hockey now.

Last edited:

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
MacKinnon*

Yes this year they are. I assume they will be for years to come unless this season from MacKinnon is a fluke somehow, which I find very unlikely.

Gabe the Babe

Apr 24, 2014
Had to check how Jamie Benn was doing...

But I’ll say chemistry wise, yes. Talent wise. Definitely still Stammer-Kuch

Reactions: paragon

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
They're really good. Magical together. It's not just Mackinnon either. I'm getting tired of reading how Mikko is riding off him. Playing with the best player in the NHL this season certainly helps but let's not act like the help doesn't go both ways. Mikko is an absolute force out there.

Mac & Cheese.

HenrikW

Feb 21, 2018
They're really good. Magical together. It's not just Mackinnon either. I'm getting tired of reading how Mikko is riding off him. Playing with the best player in the NHL this season certainly helps but let's not act like the help doesn't go both ways. Mikko is an absolute force out there.

Mac & Cheese.

Mikko is obviously not only riding off MacK. People said the same thing about Draisaitl last season too. This season only Stamkos and Kucherov has been as magical imo. I think the Avalance pair is somewhat helped by the number of PP's their team has drawn this season though, Mikko for example only has 48 EV points in 72 games.

Reactions: cgf

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Mikko is obviously not only riding off MacK. People said the same thing about Draisaitl last season too. This season only Stamkos and Kucherov has been as magical imo. I think the Avalance pair is somewhat helped by the number of PP's their team has drawn this season though, Mikko for example only has 48 EV points in 72 games.
That's still pretty good and puts him 23rd in the NHL.

But yeah I agree in the comparison to Mcdavid/Draisaitl. Draisaitl is obviously a superior hockey player to Rantanen but he went through the same comparatives of leeching off his linemate.

Reactions: cgf

HenrikW

Feb 21, 2018
That's still pretty good and puts him 23rd in the NHL.

But yeah I agree in the comparison to Mcdavid/Draisaitl. Draisaitl is obviously a superior hockey player to Rantanen but he went through the same comparatives of leeching off his linemate.

Well the only comparison I'm drawing to Draisaitl is that he was said to be carried, similar to whats being said about Rantanen now.

Rantanen only has 2 seasons in NHL so I think it's too early to tell how well those 2 players compare.

As for this season:
Kucherov and Stamkos ranks 2, 15 EV, while MacK and Mikko ranks 3, 23. And 1, 6 vs 2, 13 in total.

The argument is if MacK+Rantanen is the most magical pairing this season. My take is that it's very close either way.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
This season? Sure - maybe. Overall? I dunno still a stunningly small sample size. It may just be a hot streak/career year where they both come crashing down to earth soon.

Also - I actually prefer Kucherov/Stamkos, so no, they're not #1. Bergeon/Marchand are also pretty damn good. They are certainly near the top though, maybe #2 or 3.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
They're both doing awesome for sure. Very fun duo to watch. Maybe not Gretzky-Kurri but they're going to do pretty good themselves.

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
Lando's contribution to that line is severely underrated. Might not end up on the score sheet as often, but gives the other two so much time and space through his play style.

Last edited:

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
Lando's contribution to that line is severely underrated. Might not end up on the score sheet as often, but gives the other two so much time and space through his play style.
Indeed, he is really good in the back end. Did an amazing back check against STL last game they played that led to a breakaway goal from Rants. I think they balance pretty well with Landy’s defensive game but at some point we will need our 2nd line/3rd line to score. Can’t always rely on the PP, I said that in the GDT that they will need the other lines or the PP to step up because our top line were held down in our own zone by that Saad-Toews-Kane line. Our PP and other lines stepped up with 2 PP goals I think with Kerfoot getting 2 goals. But yeah I agree that Landy is underrated on that line because of his stats.

Last edited:

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I think I have to agree with Marchand- Bergeron- (Pasta).

Best defensive duo in the league, both are tough to play against and especially Marchand is having a crazy offensive year, 75 points in 57 games and Bergeron is ppg as well.

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
Some good ones for sure. Bergeron and Marchand. Stamkos and Kucherov. Couturier and Giroux. Ovie and Kuznetsov. Scheifele and Wheeler. Benn and Seguin.

Reactions: 3rdLiner

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad