McKenzie's rankings aka polling 10 scouts: Top 15 pre-lottery edition

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Hughes to low imo.

I'd have him over Dobson and Bouchard.

Crazy how much Kravtsov has risen. Was barely considered a first rounder 2 months ago.

Last edited:
Reactions: BobbyShehan

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
What's the story on Jesperi Kotkaniemi? As an Islanders fan with our 2 picks I want to go Center and Defense, I thought our only option might be Veleno but if their is 2 guys we can look at I like that much better

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
What's the story on Jesperi Kotkaniemi? As an Islanders fan with our 2 picks I want to go Center and Defense, I thought our only option might be Veleno but if their is 2 guys we can look at I like that much better

If you have TSN or NHL network, you can watch him tomorrow at 6:30 AM vs Sweden.

He appears to be a big, rangy all-around C with very good, but probably not high end skill. His skating ability is probably somewhere between ''OK'' to ''slightly above average''. Played well as a 17 year old in the main Finnish league.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
If you have TSN or NHL network, you can watch him tomorrow at 6:30 AM vs Sweden.

He appears to be a big, rangy all-around C with very good, but probably not high end skill. His skating ability is probably somewhere between ''OK'' to ''slightly above average''. Played well as a 17 year old in the main Finnish league.

Thanks. On the negative side for the Islanders I just noticed this

And while there was a little bit of separation between those three and Hughes at No. 9, understand one thing about this year’s draft: Based on our survey, there is a huge drop off in consensus after No. 9.

Just our luck, we win the final 3 games this season and now pick 10th. lol

pckstpr31

Jul 13, 2010
CGY
Always nice to see what actual NHL scouts think. Not surprised that Tkachuk is still in the top 5. Also interesting that it seems like Bouchard is a clear, if small, step ahead of Boqvist and Dobson, based on what the article says about Boqvist/Wahlstrom/Dobson being interchangeable.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
"And while there was a little bit of separation between those three and Hughes at No. 9, understand one thing about this year’s draft: Based on our survey, there is a huge drop off in consensus after No. 9."

Thank God Vancouver can only drop to 9

Reactions: Zombotron and tfong

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
glad to see the ACTUAL scouting community continues to see Brady Tkachuk for the player he is and not just stat watchers online. He is in the big 4-5 players for this draft, though I have Wahlstrom just ahead of him.

Reactions: Dodospice

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
"And while there was a little bit of separation between those three and Hughes at No. 9, understand one thing about this year’s draft: Based on our survey, there is a huge drop off in consensus after No. 9."

Thank God Vancouver can only drop to 9

Said the same thing when they were picking #6 to be fair.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I think the thing knocking Hughes down is size and handedness. After Dahlin the next batch of defenders are all pretty close, Hughes/Bouchard/Boqvist/Dobson. The other 3 are a little bigger and right handed which teams value a bit more. I think all are really good so being 9 is not a knock on him.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I think the thing knocking Hughes down is size and handedness.

How many guys do you see drafted at 5'10 and end up growing an inch or 2 though. An an Islanders fan I actually hope he falls to us, we need lefties more then righties, especially given the fact Pelech(lefty) can play both left or right)

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
Never heard of a guy thats a defenseman, has the point/game ratio that he does, and his size that has busted. (Evan Bouchard)

Reactions: Critical

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
How many guys do you see drafted at 5'10 and end up growing an inch or 2 though. An an Islanders fan I actually hope he falls to us, we need lefties more then righties, especially given the fact Pelech(lefty) can play both left or right)

Off hand I don't know but it's entirely possible it can happen. I think Parayko was passed over his draft year then he grow a few inches and was picked as an overager the next. I'm pretty sure Hughes brother isn't big either so I don't think they have much more growing to do. I haven't tried to read the board on what teams might pick yet, will wait till after the lottery so you have a better understanding. I don't think he'll fall far enough for the Islanders though so you'd need to move up for him.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Off hand I don't know but it's entirely possible it can happen. I think Parayko was passed over his draft year then he grow a few inches and was picked as an overager the next. I'm pretty sure Hughes brother isn't big either so I don't think they have much more growing to do. I haven't tried to read the board on what teams might pick yet, will wait till after the lottery so you have a better understanding. I don't think he'll fall far enough for the Islanders though so you'd need to move up for him.

Assuming Islanders don't drop in the lottery, it only takes one forward not rated in Bob's top 9 for a defenseman to drop to us

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
1 Dahlin

2 Svech

3 Zadina
4 Boquist
5 Wahlstorm

6 Kotkaniemi
7 Hughes
8 Tkachuck

9 Farabee
10 Bouchard

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

It's possible, however Quinn is already a late birthday--he turns 19 in October.

Of course who knows hold old that 5'10" measurement was?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad