McKenzie's rankings aka polling 10 scouts: Top 15 pre-lottery edition

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
On the bright side, I like that all of Smith, Kravtsov, and Denisenko are out of the top-10.

No chance they drop to us, but all guys I'd be willing to move up 10~ spots for.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
Based on the article and the list the two of them are tied meaning neither is "ahead" of the other, I'm a bit disappointed in this board seeing people comment on this without anyone pointing this simple fact out.

Maybe I meant "a head" as in placed ahead in terms of article arrangement :P

Haha but seriously I'm actually wondering how they are even tied for the same spot, felt Kravstov's KHL playoffs would've given him the edge over Denny.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Just listening to McKenzie's podcast sounds like he said top 12 are:

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/toronto-1050/the-tsn-hockey-bobcast-season-2-episode-20-1.1112948

Rasmus Dahlin
Andrei Svechnikov

Filip Zadina
Brady Tkachuk
Quinn Hughes
Jesperi Kotkaniemi
Noah Dobson
Evan Bouchard
Oliver Wahlstrom
Adam Boqvist
Barrett Hayton
Vitali Kravtsov

(Note I am not saying that is the order he will have them listed just an educated guess beyond the first 2)

He said all these guys got consideration for the top 5.

KMNRB

Jul 4, 2015

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/toronto-1050/the-tsn-hockey-bobcast-season-2-episode-20-1.1112948

Rasmus Dahlin
Andrei Svechnikov

Filip Zadina
Brady Tkachuk
Quinn Hughes
Jesperi Kotkaniemi
Noah Dobson
Evan Bouchard
Oliver Wahlstrom
Adam Boqvist
Barrett Hayton
Vitali Kravtsov

(Note I am not saying that is the order he will have them listed just an educated guess beyond the first 2)

I think he did say Dobson is the consensus top D beside Dahlin.

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015

Rasmus Dahlin
Andrei Svechnikov

Filip Zadina
Brady Tkachuk
Quinn Hughes
Jesperi Kotkaniemi
Noah Dobson
Evan Bouchard
Oliver Wahlstrom
Adam Boqvist
Barrett Hayton
Vitali Kravtsov

He said that Dobson was the consensus top defenceman after Dahlin in his podcast

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
After listening, my guess his final list

Dahlin
Svech
Tkachuk
Zadina
Kotkaniemi
Dobson
Bouchard
Hughes
Wahlstrom
Kravtsov
Boqvist
Hayton
Smith

With the possibility of Kotkaniemi/Dobson bumping down Tkachuk/Zadina at the draft.

Last edited:

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
On the bright side, I like that all of Smith, Kravtsov, and Denisenko are out of the top-10.

No chance they drop to us, but all guys I'd be willing to move up 10~ spots for.

There will be someone good that drops to 25. Should be plenty of quality defenseman available that's for sure.

Reactions: Morgs

lawrence

May 19, 2012
WOw is ty smith that not as good ? Dudes scouting report Is so similar to the other 2 sub 6’0 ft dmans. (Boqvist, Hughes)

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
After listening, my guess his final list

Smith

Did he even mention Smith?

On a side note he mentioned the ranking of Merkley by all the scouts, I think it was something like 16, 25, 26, 31, 31, 31, 33, 38, 55, 60.

He mentioned that most the people who rated him in the first round weren't sure they would pick him where they rate him, they rated him solely based on skill. My guess is he ends up like 40 on TSN's list

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Just my impression based on the other names scouts are apparently hyping, ie. Kravtsov, Hayton.

If you look at his previous list(At the draft Lottery) Smith was 13th behind Veleno(11) and Hayton(12). I am guessing Veleno might be 13. Kravtsov is the one who snuck into the top 12

JAS 39 Gripen

Jun 26, 2011
Stockholm

Rasmus Dahlin
Andrei Svechnikov

Filip Zadina
Brady Tkachuk
Quinn Hughes
Jesperi Kotkaniemi
Noah Dobson
Evan Bouchard
Oliver Wahlstrom
Adam Boqvist
Barrett Hayton
Vitali Kravtsov

No, he (they) didnt have Dahlin and Svech as 1-2, he clearly said that its:

Dahlin

Svechnikov
Zadina
Tkachuk

Dobson, Boqvist, Hughes and Boucard

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
No, he (they) didnt have Dahlin and Svech as 1-2, he clearly said that its:

Dahlin

Svechnikov
Zadina
Tkachuk

Dobson, Boqvist, Hughes and Boucard

That was the Draft Lottery list, the podcast that just came out yesterday is talking about his list coming out on Monday. He said their seems to be separation between Svechnikov and the other 2, while Zadina and Tkachuk are much closer to other players then they are to Svechnikov and he would be surprised seeing either of them slip to 6 or 7

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
WOw is ty smith that not as good ? Dudes scouting report Is so similar to the other 2 sub 6’0 ft dmans. (Boqvist, Hughes)

After watching him I dont think he is on the same level. The other two are much more dynamic offensively.

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
Dahlin

Svech

Zadina, Tkachuk
Kotkaniemi, Dobson
Hughes, Bouchard, Wahlstrom
Boqvist, Kravtsov
Hayton

From what I understood

Last edited:
Reactions: TheGoldenJet

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I think this ranking is pretty Canadian heavy, after the top four, 7 of 11 kids are Canadians... Recon most of those scouts are NA based, which isn’t strange. Always an interesting read.
8 of the 10 are NHL Scouting Directors or high-enough up to dictate their teams draft board.

I would think that would remove some viewership bias towards NA players, as they are constantly cross-checking and will have serious input from their Euro scouts. Unless, you believe NHL teams have this issue. Although, the only head scout in the NHL who isn't NA based is Ville Siren. 72% of NHLers are from Canada or the United States, and the only case of a high-profile player from either playing in Europe is Matthews. Then add in that a decent amount of Euro's play in the CHL or USHL in their draft year. You could probably guess about 75% or more of future NHL talent is in NA. Just look at the current top 4 euros (Svechnikov, Zadina, Kotaniemi and Boqvist) in this draft and 2 of the 4 already play in NA. It wouldn't make much sense for a head scout to be Euro based. As one, going over and travelling to major euro locations (outside of Europe which is a nightmare and some teams right off), is quite easy when you get there, as you are primarily just scouting the 2 Nordic leagues, but short trips to Switzerland and Czech Republic are quite easy once you are across. Trying to cover the ground between Halifax and Vancouver is a way bigger geographical distance.

Last edited:

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013
Dahlin

Svech

Zadina, Tkachuk, Kotkaniemi, Dobson
Hughes, Bouchard, Wahlstrom
Boqvist
Hayton, Kravtsov

From what I understood

That's more like it IMO

If I had to guess a top top it would be

1.Dahlin
2.Svech
3.Zadina
4.Tkachuk
5.Dobson
6.Kotkaniemi
7.Bouchard
8.Hughes
9.Wahlstrom
10.Boqvist

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
That's more like it IMO

If I had to guess a top top it would be

1.Dahlin
2.Svech
3.Zadina
4.Tkachuk
5.Dobson
6.Kotkaniemi
7.Bouchard
8.Hughes
9.Wahlstrom
10.Boqvist

Seeing Hughes go one pick ahead of the Rangers pick would be tough and reminiscent of last year with Glass, but I think most Ranger fans would sign up for this if asked right now.

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013
Seeing Hughes go one pick ahead of the Rangers pick would be tough and reminiscent of last year with Glass, but I think most Ranger fans would sign up for this if asked right now.

I understand I have him 4th on my own list after Dobson at 3.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad