McKenzie's rankings aka polling 10 scouts: Top 15 pre-lottery edition

ProspectsSTC

Jul 12, 2014
glad to see the ACTUAL scouting community continues to see Brady Tkachuk for the player he is and not just stat watchers online. He is in the big 4-5 players for this draft, though I have Wahlstrom just ahead of him.
Eh let's not act like these are scientists here, plenty of scouts clearly aren't very good.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
It's possible, however Quinn is already a late birthday--he turns 19 in October.

Of course who knows hold old that 5'10" measurement was?

Just have to wait for the combine,
Makar was listed at 5'10 for most of the season and was also one of the older players in the draft.
Combine he was measured 5'11 and a half.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Glad to see scouts have Svech as the consensus #2, finally.

Surprised Boqvist is at #6... I figured after his recent play with Sweden he would be a top 5 lock. I’d love Detroit to get him at 6, potentially.

Reactions: MessierII

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site
I always wonder about this list. Like are the scouts really given him their actual lists or are they just sending him a "dummy list" that they feel is close to the current consenus ranking. If they (and their team) are really feeling highly about a player that is ranked lower would they really want to give other teams insights that they are leaning toward that player?

All I'm saying is, I'm not sure there's much to read into this than any other list.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I always wonder about this list. Like are the scouts really given him their actual lists or are they just sending him a "dummy list" that they feel is close to the current consenus ranking. If they (and their team) are really feeling highly about a player that is ranked lower would they really want to give other teams insights that they are leaning toward that player?

All I'm saying is, I'm not sure there's much to read into this than any other list.

He’s only polling 10 scouts and it’s kept anonymous (what teams they are).

So I don’t see how any of that could be traced or would need to be worried about.

Insulin

Jan 23, 2013
Atlantic City
Article makes it sound like this for tiers with the drop off coming after Hughes. I would be ecstatic if the Flyers got Farabee at 14 from the Blues pick.

Dahlin
Svechnikov
Zadina/Tkachuk
Bouchard
Boqvist/Wahlstrom/Dobson
Hughes

Kotkaniemi/Veleno/Hayton/Smith
Farabee
Denisenko/Kravstov

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012

I think they respect McKenzie enough to send him their real list.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I think they respect McKenzie enough to send him their real list.

I don't really see them play around with the top 10-15 guys but...

...let's say they have a guy who if you look at consensus rankings is rated like 25-30, but they rate him 10th they probably rate him 35 just to be safe

Reactions: HoseEmDown

JK2K

Mar 13, 2017
I am really puzzled by Haytons ranking. I always have been. Plays on the #1 team in Canada, so I guess that helps. I guess that’s why I’m no scout.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
Oooooh, baby, please let Farabee drop to 16. Hoping for one of him, Veleno, Kotkaniemi, or Hayton. I figure one of them has to be there at 16.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
What would people that actually make a living of seeing these players live and focusing on them specifically to rate and rank them know compared to 99% of the posters on here.. I am not saying everyone is not free to have an opinion .. I happen to like Dobson over Bouchard... They are ranked pretty closely, however the article does say Bouchard was clearly in 5 ahead of the more interchangeable 6,7,8 spots. I watch games and get impressions on players but I am not scouting players specifically when I watch and I am not doing that several times to make sure I am catching a full picture.. I don't think I am wrong to like Dobson over Bouchard but I have to give the scouts picks some credence or having at least the same weight in evaluation of the players. Especially the top 4 seems pretty solid according to them.. of course a team may love Quinn and he could jump a few spots... This list is a very good gauge of how these players may be ranked on many lists with more movement in that 5-9 range than in the 1-4 range.

Reactions: AmericanDream

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Every year there seems to be confusion on what Bob's lists are about. There's millions of other threads about our opinions, this is the one list that gives a smidge of insight into what the industry is thinking. That doesn't mean they are right or accurate but it's a different approach and is meaningful for those who care to try and predict what might happen.

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
glad to see the ACTUAL scouting community continues to see Brady Tkachuk for the player he is and not just stat watchers online. He is in the big 4-5 players for this draft, though I have Wahlstrom just ahead of him.

When was the last time they've nailed even just the 1st round? Never. Stat watching isn't entirely fair but I also didn't like Tkashmuck in the games I watched. Guess we will see, I just hope some other team takes him.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Your opinion vs the opinion of the 10 scouts he surveyed.

Hmmm Denisenko ahead of Kravstov?
Scouts aren't that smart either, it's a reason how players like O'Reilly and Cam Fowler fall, but it McKenzie's list are always "where are they going to go lists" instead of best of. Hughes is easily the best draft eligible defender after Dahlin.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Never a fan of bobs lists or the scouts he polls even looking back on old lists you see alot of mistakes in the rankings.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Never a fan of bobs lists or the scouts he polls even looking back on old lists you see alot of mistakes in the rankings.
Mistakes in what way? Its a small percentage of scouts but imo its usually a good indication.. there is no perfect predictor for how the draft will actually go so you should expect some variances.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Scouts aren't that smart either, it's a reason how players like O'Reilly and Cam Fowler fall, but it McKenzie's list are always "where are they going to go lists" instead of best of. Hughes is easily the best draft eligible defender after Dahlin.

Hughes is easily the best? 10 scouts ranked him 4th best right here, he had a brutal WJC, isnt great defensively and hes 5'9. Hes easily better than a 6'2 dman that had 25 goals and 87 points on a mediocre hockey team in the OHL this year?

Is he though?

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Hughes is easily the best? 10 scouts ranked him 4th best right here, he had a brutal WJC, isnt great defensively and hes 5'9. Hes easily better than a 6'2 dman that had 25 goals and 87 points on a mediocre hockey team in the OHL this year?

Is he though?
Extremely confident he is and will be. At least he made the WJC team, can't say that about anybody else except Dahlin.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Mistakes in what way? Its a small percentage of scouts but imo its usually a good indication.. there is no perfect predictor for how the draft will actually go so you should expect some variances.

Mistakes as poor selections for where players are ranked specifically high ones, bob's list has alot of respect because of his name but if you ever evaluate lists from years past on mynhldraft, his list imo holds up no better then other media lists.

Its interesting because he polls scouts, but its a small sample of scouts as you pointed out so some teams likely feel the same. But again its a small sample.

Last edited:

thrillhous

Jan 5, 2006
There is no such thing as a "mistake" in McKenzie's lists. He publishes a list that reflects how the scouts that he polls ranks the players. He is not trying to predict the draft. Nor are the scouts trying to predict the draft, each of them are simply ranking the players in their opinion.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
There is no such thing as a "mistake" in McKenzie's lists. He publishes a list that reflects how the scouts that he polls ranks the players. He is not trying to predict the draft. Nor are the scouts trying to predict the draft, each of them are simply ranking the players in their opinion.

His 2014 top 10. There is no mistake, but scouts make mistakes.

1. Aaron Ekblad
2. Sam Reinhart
3. Sam Bennett
4. Leon Draisaitl
5. Michael Dal Colle
6. Nick Ritchie
7. Jake Virtanen
8. Haydn Fleury
9. William Nylander
10. Nikolaj Ehlers

thrillhous

Jan 5, 2006
His 2014 top 10. There is no mistake, but scouts make mistakes.

1. Aaron Ekblad
2. Sam Reinhart
3. Sam Bennett
4. Leon Draisaitl
5. Michael Dal Colle
6. Nick Ritchie
7. Jake Virtanen
8. Haydn Fleury
9. William Nylander
10. Nikolaj Ehlers
Everyone is aware of this. Your point is that scouts make mistakes?

Reactions: Ookhaab and CacOBG

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad