TSN: McKenzie: Woodcroft Assigned to Bakersfields

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
As I mentioned it was a top 5 NHL PP last season and NO Letestu wasnt the main reason for that.
Although having a right shot one time option did help.
Name one thing that this team was able to execute at a consistently high level this season.
Just one.

Even if we assume it's 100% the players' fault due to execution, would you not expect the coach to maybe try a different setup or even a different player?

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Even if we assume it's 100% the players' fault due to execution, would you not expect the coach to maybe try a different setup or even a different player?

Execution is everything. If you dont have it you have nothing.
The execution all season for this team was excruciating to watch and the PP was a major part of that. This was evident way back before game 10 of the season. I posted that this team looked disengaged right from the beginning. That didnt change despite the adjustments that were made. I think there are a number of reasons for this not the least of which was that key players on this team felt that last seasons success was going to come automatically.
This team needs to grow up and I am willing to bet that will happen next season as long as Katz keeps his nose out of running the hockey ops. I am willing to bet right here and now even before I see the changes that Chiarelli makes.
Unless he 'F's up big time (or there are major injury issues) this team will be a playoff team next season.
I am confident of that because I think its near impossible for this team to sh*t the bed in terms of execution again next season.
They will be focused and dedicated...the embarrassment this season virtually guarantees that IMO.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Were you happy with the previous years PP?
They pulled a rabbit out of a hat that year. Predictably, the fourth line Center option didn’t work the next year. That of course, didn’t stop them from trying to use it up until the day Letestu got traded.

I don’t have the same confidence you do that last year was an off year for Mclellan. There are a lot of areas I thought he was exposed for last year. This is after watching him here for three seasons and his time in San Jose. What other choice do I have but to hope new assistants and new voices make a difference? I just think the guy is who he is and I really don’t expect a different result.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
They pulled a rabbit out of a hat that year. Predictably, the fourth line Center option didn’t work the next year. That of course, didn’t stop them from trying to use it up until the day Letestu got traded.

I don’t have the same confidence you do that last year was an off year for Mclellan. There are a lot of areas I thought he was exposed for last year. This is after watching him here for three seasons and his time in San Jose. What other choice do I have but to hope new assistants and new voices make a difference? I just think the guy is who he is and I really don’t expect a different result.

You are obviously entitled to your opinion but I think your view is being obscured by your dedication to the faulty coaching narrative.

My frustration this entire season was about the lack of execution and all too often the disengagement of far too many players.
Those realities are coach killers. Without an engaged player who can execute a system there is nothing a coach can do.
Nothing.

For me its so incredibly difficult to assess coaching when I see so many consistent fundamental errors by so many of the same key players over the entire season. I think that there were maybe 4 portions of the season where the team started to focus, work hard and execute properly and then it would disappear a few games later.
very frustrating to watch.

Last edited:

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
It seems like the league adjusted to that system and Woodcroft didn't even try to do his own adjustments.

They literally gave up and just started rolling normal lines by the end of the season.

Teams quickly learned that they no longer had to respect the Klefbom shot, and then after Xmas the net front presence of Lucic. Maroon even struggled in that spot. It didn't help that Draisaitl fell too much in love with that low angle shot and McDavid didn't try to shoot until February.

Nonetheless, the coaches are responsible for trying to force the pass for the Letestu one-timer for way too long.

Ragdoll

Feb 15, 2018
Not gonna lie, these moves are really f***ing with my emotions. The org is letting guys go but not really LOL. Just glad Woodcroft isn’t running our pp anymore.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Teams quickly learned that they no longer had to respect the Klefbom shot, and then after Xmas the net front presence of Lucic. Maroon even struggled in that spot. It didn't help that Draisaitl fell too much in love with that low angle shot and McDavid didn't try to shoot until February.

Nonetheless, the coaches are responsible for trying to force the pass for the Letestu one-timer for way too long.

The best pp's in the league are all forced. Why is wanting to go to Letestu any different?

The problem with the pp was the players execution. McD rarely shot, our dman(whoever it was) only passed to McD and never shot, and our net front was non existent. Letestu was hardly the problem.

Seems fans just wanted Test off the pp cuz, and they used him as the scapegoat to a terrible pp

Reactions: HockeyGuy1964

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007

What net front presence? Lucic and Maroon were off to the side every play. I don't know if the Oilers scored on a deflection all year, either.

Then Maroon goes to NJ and the first thing he does is stand directly in front of the goalie on the PP. Must've just been something he remembered on the plane out of Edmonton, I guess.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
The best pp's in the league are all forced. Why is wanting to go to Letestu any different?

The problem with the pp was the players execution. McD rarely shot, our dman(whoever it was) only passed to McD and never shot, and our net front was non existent. Letestu was hardly the problem.

Seems fans just wanted Test off the pp cuz, and they used him as the scapegoat to a terrible pp

100%.

Prepare for the group think attack. ;)

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
PP aside one would hope that this also spells the end for the amazing, trailblazing L-shaped penalty kill that only the Oilers seemed willing to employ last season.

Or was that just bad because of a lack of execution, too?

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
PP aside one would hope that this also spells the end for the amazing, trailblazing L-shaped penalty kill that only the Oilers seemed willing to employ last season.

This speaks directly to my point. When the team was as disengaged as this group was for most of the season its difficult if not impossible to know how much to blame the coaching.
For me I saw progression the first year...more progression the 2nd year and then the wheels fell off in year 3.
For me year 3 was really frustrating to watch primarily because of the players....missed defensive assignments...lazy disengaged play....half hearted efforts.

Like I said earlier...there was maybe 4 times all season where the team dedicated themselves to hard work and better focus but it didnt last.
A few games later they would be back to the same crap level of intensity and dedication and poor execution and low and behold the losses would follow. There were so many times when a player would outright ignore a defensive assignment...Maroon, Draisaitl, Kassian, Caguilla, Lucic, Slepyshev, et al.
So many 10 bell scoring chances given up. Talbot needed to be better as well but he was hung out to dry so often it was ridiculous.
There were large portions of the season where watching this team was just an exercise in frustration.

Last edited:

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Two or three assisant coaching spots open and I haven't seen Coffey's name mentioned as a possiblity.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL

Yes, for example, the Ovechkin and Laine half-board shots are forced, and much more effective plays than Letestu was because opposing PKs have to respect Carlson and Byfuglien's shots, respectively. Both teams also have guys with dangerous shots sitting in the slot.

Nonetheless, these teams with effective PPs have to burn opponents with the secondary options a few times before the primary threat opens up again. The Oilers were rarely able to do that this season.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Yawney is a solid coach. Has done so much with the D in Anaheim over the years.
I hope the rumors are true that he is going to be named an Assistant.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Yawney is a solid coach. Has done so much with the D in Anaheim over the years.
I hope the rumors are true that he is going to be named an Assistant.

Yeah. He sounds like a great hire.

Seems like he has a knack for developing young defensemen and running a solid PK.

Reactions: guymez

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Duncan Keith spent two seasons in the AHL at Norfolk, Va., before moving up the big league for the 2005-2006 season. Trent Yawney was his coach.

"He taught me to play proper D and what it took," said Keith. "It was nice to have somebody at that point in my career willing to take the time to teach me how to be better.

"He deserves a lot of credit for where I am today, that's for sure."
Blackhawks defenceman Duncan Keith gets deserving all-star nod | The Hockey News

Reactions: nexttothemoon

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

The PK got figured out the last 30-40 games of the year. It was one of the better ones in the league the final few months of the season. The PP staff literally gave up on trying to figure it out. Which is why it's mildly bewildering that it was Woodcroft who was retained of the two assistants.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
The PK got figured out the last 30-40 games of the year. It was one of the better ones in the league the final few months of the season. The PP staff literally gave up on trying to figure it out. Which is why it's mildly bewildering that it was Woodcroft who was retained of the two assistants.
Kurt Leavins from Cult of Hockey said the penalty kill was taken away from Johnson in late January or early February. I think it might have been after the disaster vs Buffalo just before the All-Star break. It was 31st overall and 31st at home then. The rest of the season it was 2nd overall and 8th at home.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Kurt Leavins from Cult of Hockey said the penalty kill was taken away from Johnson in late January or early February. I think it might have been after the disaster vs Buffalo just before the All-Star break. It was 31st overall and 31st at home then. The rest of the season it was 2nd overall and 8th at home.

And the PP wasn't taken from Woodcroft and it finished 31st overall in the league.

If Johnson is let go because of a bad PK, Woodcroft doesn't deserve to be here either.

Reactions: Del Preston

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Interesting to note that despite having McDavid the Oilers were 31st in terms of Home PP opportunities and 29th on the road.
How is that even possible?

Reactions: TB12

Dohilers

Dec 18, 2011
BC
I'm not opposed to Woodcroft being given a head coaching opportunity in the AHL. The organization obviously has enough faith in him to not make him a scapegoat, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and see how he does. Time will tell if this is a smart move or a horrible mistake. We'll find out soon enough.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad