TSN: McKenzie: Woodcroft Assigned to Bakersfields

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I don't know how to take this. Very good that the Oilers are bringing in a new PP coach but can we trust Woodcroft to properly develop what will be some very important prospects in Bakersfield next season?

I wonder who they have in mind for PP coach? I would have thought Coffey previously but with all of Stauffer's "hints", I'm going to guess Gulutzan which I'm not sure is good or not. Yawney for PK coach would be a very good thing though so hoping for that to happen.

Reactions: EDMOILERS9729

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
I’ve heard Gulutzan and Yawney are both in. Herbers and Johnson’s contracts not renewed, and Woodcroft HC in Bako.

I’m not sure if they’ve talked to anyone about the third job or if they’re not planning on filling that.

Paul McLean. Could you imagine? 4 head coaches!

North

Jun 25, 2009
Wasn't there a story that Woodcroft was a guy who focused players on developing their skills with repetitive drills?

I seem to recall that last season there was story like that floating around. If that's the case, this might be a good move. Just as long as someone else is coaching the PP in Bakersfield.

Also might be good in the sense that he'll be on the same page as Todd at least so maybe that will pay dividends in terms of development.

Fleming seemed to be at odds with organizational philosophy. They seemed to want to focus on development and he, like most coaches, wanted to win.

North

Jun 25, 2009
I don't know how to take this. Very good that the Oilers are bringing in a new PP coach but can we trust Woodcroft to properly develop what will be some very important prospects in Bakersfield next season?

I wonder who they have in mind for PP coach? I would have thought Coffey previously but with all of Stauffer's "hints", I'm going to guess Gulutzan which I'm not sure is good or not. Yawney for PK coach would be a very good thing though so hoping for that to happen.

Maybe Gulutzan does better focusing on just one thing rather than everything...hopefully.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Aside from killing the power play what else was Woodcroft in charge of? Is he good with young players?

Reactions: Aerrol

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
He better not Puljujarvi the prospects down there. If guys like Marody, Vesel, Benson, Jones, etc. aren't on the PP in favor of guys like Ryan Hamilton (not sure if he'll be back, just using an example) then I'm going to lose it.

In the meantime Woodcroft leads a turd of a PP and he gets his own head coaching gig within our organization? This move tells me that McLellan isn't going anywhere anytime soon since his boy blunder is now Todd Jr. in Bakersfield.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Has Gulutzan run good PP's at the NH level as an assistant? Does either he or Yawney have balls to call out officiating?

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
I’ve heard Gulutzan and Yawney are both in. Herbers and Johnson’s contracts not renewed, and Woodcroft HC in Bako.

I’m not sure if they’ve talked to anyone about the third job or if they’re not planning on filling that.

Hallelujah! Maybe the third job could involve Todd Nelson or Rocky Thompson? Aka an AHL coach that Stauffer eluded to of the Oilers waiting upon.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Hallelujah! Maybe the third job could involve Todd Nelson or Rocky Thompson? Aka an AHL coach that Stauffer eluded to of the Oilers waiting upon.

Sounds good, have internal replacements ready is Todd craps the bed.

EDMOILERS9729

Dec 25, 2017
Theres been lots of smoke that we end up with McLellan as HC and Yawney, Gulutzan, and Mclean as assistants and that seems just fine to me. Now onto Woodcroft, just dont screw up the development of the young guys.

Reactions: KarmaPolice

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Maybe Gulutzan does better focusing on just one thing rather than everything...hopefully.
Gulutzan was in charge of Vancouver's PP in 2013-14 when Tortorella was the head coach. He was retained by Willie Desjardins and ran the PK for two years before the Flames hired him.

2013-14 PP: 15.2% (26th overall), slightly worse than previous season (15.8%, 22nd)
2014-15 PK: 85.7% (2nd overall), improvement from year before (83.2%, t-9th)
2015-16 PK: 81.1% (t-17th overall)

The season after he left, Vancouver's PK dropped to 76.7% (28th).

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Has Gulutzan run good PP's at the NH level as an assistant? Does either he or Yawney have balls to call out officiating?

I don't care if they have the balls to call out officiating, I just care that they run proper Special Teams units. Can't get worse than Woodcroft so I'll take anything over him and Yawney has a stellar PK track record and developing young Dmen so I'm very happy with his hiring.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad