TSN: McKenzie: Woodcroft Assigned to Bakersfields

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
Is this really a trend? Maybe for some OBC stuff, but for coaches certainly not; we literally had a coach fired over Skype.

McT, Pat Quinn, were never canned. They got other gigs with the org. we know in management its commonplace here. Its smile all day country club and nothing bad ever happens unless you are of an independent mind (Krueger, Renney) or too much of an idiot to even keep around (Eakins).

The only guys that got canned other than Eakins represented threats to the OBC stranglehold on tenure.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
Wrong he had a year remaining

Woodcroft just got extended multiple years though. The org refusing to say how many at this point. What a shitshow.

I wish I had this kind of tenure. Do the worst job anybody has ever done and then get promoted and given an in determinant contract because we like your smile and philosophy. (what philosophy is that?!)

Actually I wouldn't want that. What motivation could there ever be to be better?

Its good to have a leash and expectations sometimes. Too bad more of it doesn't occur with the Oilers org.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Woodcroft just got extended multiple years though. The org refusing to say how many at this point. What a ****show.

I wish I had this kind of tenure. Do the worst job anybody has ever done and then get promoted and given an in determinant contract because we like your smile and philosophy. (what philosophy is that?!)

Actually I wouldn't want that. What motivation could there ever be to be better?

Its good to have a leash and expectations sometimes. Too bad more of it doesn't occur with the Oilers org.
Proof pleases because I call BS on this rumor . He was moved to AHL because he had a year left on a pretty expensive assistant coach contract instead of firing him , nothing in his time here would of warranted a contract extension a full year before his old one expired,

Crude

Rafters 94
Jul 15, 2007
Edmonton
Woodcroft just got extended multiple years though. The org refusing to say how many at this point. What a ****show.

There is a big difference between "refused" and "haven't publicly disclosed."

Proof please.

SomeDudeOTI

Feb 25, 2014
Behind enemy lines

I'd like a link for the extension as well, haven't seen that anywhere and it doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Yeah, I've seen a few articles that said Woodcroft and Johnson still had one more year on their contracts.

Herbers had an option the team chose not to pick up.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I think TM knew heads had to roll after that crappy season... especially with how poorly the special teams played which is considered to be the domain of the assistant coaches.

They couldn't just roll into next season with the same staff in all positions and "hope for the best"... fans/media and anyone else with a brain would see that as idiocy to expect much different results with the same coaches personnel in place again... even though a rebound from those atrocious levels likely takes place regardless.

If Maclellan stood his ground and refused to have any assistants turfed.. my guess is he'd be out the door as well.

Yep I agree...we all knew changes were coming. Maybe Todd figured he was going to be gone as well. But again referring to Bob's comments, only make change if there's a change for the better. They don't see an upgrade currently available and the one they did see is staying in the Windy City.

Todd has no room for error this season.

With the season that just transpired and worst possible PP with McD and Drai on it there was simply no choice. Given how long it took to confirm even McLellan still had a job its likely that it was staged as no choice.
As in "these are our terms, do you want to stay coaching the Oilers Todd or not" I think anything but an inconceivably bad PP and Woodcroft would still be here. This was not a typical situation. McLellan had a Sophies choice to make. But he probably said "but can dear woody please coach in Bakersfield then"

This is the kind of Oilers org jam that you almost expect it would cook up. Soft landings for all, nary ever a bruised ego in sight.

Not having a contract renewed certainly looks better on a resume than "fired" lol. With Sherrif Woody now in Bako...who knows, maybe having him run his own bench and being the guy to make the decisions will help the prospects and Condors along. The optics certainly don't look good with Sherrif Woody's new role being labelled a "promotion". I think its a demotion as much as it is appears to be a promotion. Either way, I'll give him a chance. He can't be worse than Fleming, can he?

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Wrong he had a year remaining
Lots of misinformation about this as most on this board were under the impression both he and Johnson’s contracts had run out. Seems he’s now been extended on top of the one year he had left but Oilers haven’t released the length. This must be a common thing with them because there seems to confusion every off season about who still has a contract and who doesn’t. In any event it doesn’t appear he’s going anywhere for a while now which makes this move even harder to understand.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Lots of misinformation about this as most on this board were under the impression both he and Johnson’s contracts had run out. Seems he’s now been extended on top of the one year he had left but Oilers haven’t released the length. This must be a common thing with them because there seems to confusion every off season about who still has a contract and who doesn’t. In any event it doesn’t appear he’s going anywhere for a while now which makes this move even harder to understand.
I will clarify this he was not extended this year he signed a 4 year deal st same time as TMAC this is the last year of a 4 year deal , and unless he performs miracles in Bakersfield I would assume it will not be renewed .

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
There's a rumor over on Reddit(although more of a heard from a friend of a friend type) that said they might be looking at Manny Viveiros as an assistant. He's the Head Coach of the Swift Current Broncos.

He technically has pro hockey experience since he coached in Austria/Germany for a while, but maybe McLellan was talking more in a North American pro experience way.

He would be good and yes that fits the bill if talking about lack of the North American game.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I will clarify this he was not extended this year he signed a 4 year deal st same time as TMAC this is the last year of a 4 year deal , and unless he performs miracles in Bakersfield I would assume it will not be renewed .
I’m just going by what Terry Jones says in his Sun article today. He quotes Chiarelli saying that he was extended to a multi year deal but wouldn’t say how many years it was.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
I’m just going by what Terry Jones says in his Sun article today. He quotes Chiarelli saying that he was extended to a multi year deal but wouldn’t say how many years it was.
I never assumed you made it up , I just knew it was false info, your posts in here are usually spot on and with solid hockey knowledge

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
I can’t post a link but it’s in Terry Jones article in today’s Sun.
Here you go:
Woodcroft, who has worked with McLellan for 13 seasons, had one year remaining on his Oilers assistant coaching deal. He now has a new deal.

“I’m not going to disclose term,” Chiarelli said. “It’s a multi-year deal.”

More quotes:
Goaltending coach Dustin Schwartz will return.
Chiarelli said Johnson has a year remaining on his contract but said he didn’t want to hang his decision entirely on special teams.
Both Fleming and assistant Tony Borgford were fired. The other assistant, Jean-Francois Houle “hasn’t been relieved of duties — we’re talking to him and we’ll see where that goes,” said Chiarelli.
Oilers legend Paul Coffey, he said, will be back.

“There’s no change in his status. He’s a skills coach. He was just in Bakersfield at the end of the season. He’s been with me a couple of times to look at defencemen.”
As for going forward, McLellan said he didn’t want to open any discussions with any assistant coaching prospects until these decisions were made official. But Chiarelli said McLellan won’t be making them alone.

“Collaborative decisions,” said the GM. “We’ve exchanged some names and had some discussions. Both he and I will be making calls and having interviews.”
Jones: Oilers' coaching moves need to lead to improvement in NHL standings … or else

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting

This is exactly what I read, it was also in the Journal, and Terry Jones. People haven't heard this?

Also thanks to you and Del for corroborating the Jones article which was just yesterday. I think people aren't following the Oilers news anymore.. can't blame anybody. I read it pretty much by accident.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
This is exactly what I read, it was also in the Journal, and Terry Jones. People haven't heard this?

Also thanks to you and Del for corroborating the Jones article which was just yesterday. I think people aren't following the Oilers news anymore.. can't blame anybody. I read it pretty much by accident.
Lol, I read it by accident too. I was standing in line at the store with a few minutes to kill and flipped through the paper on the counter.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
It would be great if woodcroft is actually some sort of coaching wizard and just needed his shot as a head coach. Fingers crossed

Reactions: AddyTheWrath

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
It would be great if woodcroft is actually some sort of coaching wizard and just needed his shot as a head coach. Fingers crossed
It’s like going to the racetrack and accidentally betting on the wrong horse. Nothing left to do but cross your fingers and hope you were wrong.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
McT, Pat Quinn, were never canned. They got other gigs with the org. we know in management its commonplace here. Its smile all day country club and nothing bad ever happens unless you are of an independent mind (Krueger, Renney) or too much of an idiot to even keep around (Eakins).

The only guys that got canned other than Eakins represented threats to the OBC stranglehold on tenure.
Did we officially fire Eakins? I recall some whispers of him signing into other team's games shortly after his dismissal as a member of the Edmonton Oilers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->