TSN: McKenzie: Woodcroft Assigned to Bakersfields

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
it would be nicer if you wouldn't spread false information around the web like that. its dishonest and disrespectful.

EVERYONE knows the oilers were just waiting for the HR department to think of a fancy title for a promotion. like they always do.
I think what they were doing was hoping enough time had passed for everybody to forget how terrible Mclellan and Woodcroft were last year.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Such an oilers move. Someone is disgustingly terrible at their job, better promote them. I’ve hated Fleming in Bako since Nelson left but replacing him with Woodcroft doesn’t seem like an upgrade. As for Gulutzan, looks like he’s our next head coach when McClellan is canned 30 games into the season next year.
I think Woodcroft being given the Bakersfield job is a pretty strong signal Mclellan isn’t getting fired next year no matter how bad the team performs. If they fire Mclellan is there still a need for Woodcroft in the minors. Would they run the risk of having to replace both of them mid season? I don’t think so.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
What are the odds Jay Woodcroft becomes a guy that other teams covet to be the next head coach of their NHL team?

The Oilers never seem to have that guy. Either on our AHL team or on the NHL staff. This team not only sucks at developing players. They suck at developing coaches too.

Reactions: Aerrol

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
When half our team has nmcs or are otherwise untradable, you work with what you’ve got. A system change is the only reasonable solution to our issues of last year. God awful teams make it into the playoffs by playing a good systematic game due to great coaching. Discipline is key, and we’ve learned that either Todd can’t impliment a successful system, or the players have tuned him out. Either way, the only viable solution is a change.

Unless Chia manages to turnover most of the roster for people willing to play Todd’s system whatever that may be.

The team had a top 5 PP was a top defensive team and had a strong PK last season.. Why are you omitting that?
Why just cherry pick elements of this season.

Lets take a look at this past season....

The team had the top PK in the NHL on the road and was garbage at home. How is this even possible if the cause is systems related? Its the same system.
Despite being one of the top defensive teams in the NHL last season they were terrible this season. Their team defense was embarrassing...pathetic...pick your adjective. It was bad.
It was the same system as last season...a system very similar to what other teams used successfully this season.
Why was this a fail this season? Execution. This years team consisted (by and large) of a group of disengaged players. They couldnt have executed a 2 car parade.
That along with Chiarellis inability to fill the holes on the team this season are by far IMO the biggest reasons for this years failure.
Goaltending and coaching played a role by not nearly to the degree that the GM and the players themselves did.

Last edited:
Reactions: Furious Nerd

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
What does continuity of systems mean? It sure didn’t look like there was any system being played last year. So now our call ups can look just as confused as the regular guys?

IIRC Fleming was an interim coach (originally) picked by Nelson when he departed. There was no clear evidence that he and McLellan were on the same page. Woodcroft knows the systems.
This is important for continuity of systems so that when players get called up they have a better chance at success.
Reports out of Bakersfield also had Fleming playing the vets over the prospects. Woodcroft has a strong rep with regards to prospects and thier development.
So I dont see the negative here.

As I posted above I think posters who want to blame this past season primarily on coaching are being overtly reactive (pissed off, frustrated...whatever) and consequently overly simplistic in their analysis of this past season.

Last edited:

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
The Oilers let go of four employees in one day. That has to be a franchise record.

Its an interesting day for sure. I expected Todd to remain on and 1 or 2 changes at assistant coach so this exceeds my prediction.
If GG and Yawney are hired ( as rumored) then IMO its a god day.

Both are good coaches and both are potential HC material so it will provide Todd with a lot of experience and also push him because either could take his job.
I like it.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Woodcroft can destroy the career of every player in Bakersfield and I'll still be happy just from not having to see his PPs anymore.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Amid Friday's shuffling, vacancies still remain to McLellan's left and right. Assistant coaches will have to be appointed at some time. Two or three of them.

"It'll depend on who's available and who might be interested in the jobs and their experience," McLellan said of the process. "We'll start with two and work from there."

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
That's all 97,29 Letestu and klefbom. Not the Pp coach.

Really?
Last year was more about a higher level of execution.

Name one aspect of this season that this team consistently executed at a high level.

Last edited:

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Last years PP was more about the system than it was about Mark Letestu and luck.

It seems like the league adjusted to that system and Woodcroft didn't even try to do his own adjustments.

They literally gave up and just started rolling normal lines by the end of the season.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
It seems like the league adjusted to that system and Woodcroft didn't even try to do his own adjustments.

They literally gave up and just started rolling normal lines by the end of the season.

That narrative doesn't make any sense. Especially when you consider the abject failure this years team was in executing anything.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
That narrative doesn't make any sense. Especially when you consider the abject failure this years team was in executing anything.
You had a member of an opposing team openly mocking the Oilers PP system. I believe Kevin Bieksa said something along the lines of "we haven't seen a system like that since 2007." And what dnicks said is true. The coaching staff literally quit on their PP in the last couple weeks of the system and just started rolling out their lines.

If the team isn't executing properly it's on the coaching staff to put something in place that they will.

Reactions: nexttothemoon

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Herbers, Johnson, Fleming and Borgford

Thanks...my brain went on vacation. Forgot they released Fleming and didn't realise one of the other AHL guys was released/not renewed. I was focused on the big club moves lol...I am curious if Schwartz is keeping his goalie coach job or not.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Woodcroft running a bad PP doesn't make sense?

As I mentioned it was a top 5 NHL PP last season and NO Letestu wasnt the main reason for that.
Although having a right shot one time option did help.
Name one thing that this team was able to execute at a consistently high level this season.
Just one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad