Proposal: McDonagh to Jets..?

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
As much as McDonagh would be a fantastic addition that would make the Jets defense making over $31 million (and Trouba needing a big raise and only Enstrom coming off the books). Financially it is not feasible. Not at the kind of future cost being mentioned here.

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
As much as McDonagh would be a fantastic addition that would make the Jets defense making over $31 million (and Trouba needing a big raise and only Enstrom coming off the books). Financially it is not feasible. Not at the kind of future cost being mentioned here.
I don’t know Winnipeg’s cap situation all that well but the Rangers might retain on mcd to maximize value if that would be enough to help

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Too rich for me. Jets are getting close to cap issues. Trading away top prospects is not a good way to go. That defense would be ridiculously good though (but also a massive cap hit).

Agreed......too rich for my blood. Jets fans IMO getting carried away wanting to add aging players for a single playoff run.

Current roster got us to the dance (3rd in the NHL) despite all our injuries......IMO leave it alone and if anything add a couple depth pieces to help with future injuries. No big splash deals, which hurt our future, are required.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
i'd do that in a heartbeat if i'm wpg...maybe keep the 3rd and take enstrom for salary reasons...

McD-Buff
Morrisey-Trouba
Kulikov-Myers

Would be a nasty d-core...and they keep all their young top6 F intact.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
i'd do that in a heartbeat if i'm wpg...maybe keep the 3rd and take enstrom for salary reasons...

McD-Buff
Morrisey-Trouba
Kulikov-Myers

Would be a nasty d-core...and they keep all their young top6 F intact.
The upgrade from Enstrom to McD is not 2 of our top 3 prospects++

Would you be good with the Blues moving Thomas+Kyrou+1st+3rd+Jaskin for McD?

Didn’t think so

Last edited:
Reactions: Snowman

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
I can't believe the amount of Jets fans that want to throw away all the hard work the team did building through the draft and destroy our future cap for one shot at a playoff run. Especially when big trade deadline deals almost always do nothing for the buying team.

There are just far too many short term thinkers, fortunately I'm reasonably sure Chevy thinks long term and won't be making some of the silly deals fans are championing .

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
The upgrade from Enstrom to McD is not 2 of our top 3 prospects++

Would you be good with the Blues moving Thomas+Kyrou+1st+3rd+Jaskin for McD?

Didn’t think so
I’d be tempted to do kyrou, 1st, 3rd and jaskin for McDonagh if we needed a top pair D but we don’t. I also don’t have Niku in Thomas or kyrous tier personally.

Fnysnipe77

Feb 5, 2018
McD and Grabs .
McD with a little salary retent.
For
Arima roslivic and a pick.

Has I'm hoping Nash gets moved for D help .

The only way zuc gets placed in there . Is if Morrissey comes back but than the pick gets wiped.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Well what I said was right? He was used on the bottom 6, which is not really the spot for a player like him. He's much more useful on the top 6. Anyway, really not that important.

When the Jets are totally healthy (if that happens again) our 4th line would look a lot more like a 2nd line. If you imagine Laine with Scheif and Wheeler, Perreult-Little-Ehlers, the big shut down line of Copp-Lowry-Tanev (or upgrade) that leaves Connor, Roslovic, Armia and a potential middle 6 add to comprise a 4th line. Perreault and Armia ate up other teams playing in that spot.
It's not your typical look / option for a 4th line.

I'm in the make small moves for improved depth and gain experience this year camp.
Likely more comfortable with a "riskier" move next year when we should be in a really prime position to contend.

McDonagh just seems like too much for us.

Reactions: Snowman

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
I’d be tempted to do kyrou, 1st, 3rd and jaskin for McDonagh if we needed a top pair D but we don’t. I also don’t have Niku in Thomas or kyrous tier personally.

Niku is the 3rd-leading D scorer in the AHL, and 11 points ahead of the next rookie, and his d-game is coming online quickly. I like Kyrou (and Thomas, to a lesser extent) but Niku is very much in their tier, IMO. The OP's deal is overpay for the Jets, and I don't think it's likely to work with the team's D&D strategy.

Reactions: Johnny HFBOARDS

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad