Proposal: McDonagh to Jets..?

antiqueslivers

Apr 16, 2015
With the success of our scouting and our organization's ability to properly groom a good number of draft picks in to nhlers i look at winnipeg as sellers more then buyers. I see them offloading excess over ripening talent for either depth or picks.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I'm not a fan of that. Good value but depletes our pool. Depending on the Trouba situation I'd move him straight up.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Pass. One of Lemieux, Armia and Roslovic is more than a fair ask, but any two of them is a no go. If we were to add McDonagh's contract, Armia would probably be a lost cause anyway due to cap constraints, which means that we need our cheap wing depth to replace him.Furthermore, McDonagh only has a year left after this one, and if we want to re-up him too... you get the idea. We could throw another pick in there, I suppose.

Anyway, I don't really see us making a move of this magnitude.

For the record, the bolded is partially why I included Armia. You know more than me but it doesn’t seem to me like the Jets need both Armia & Lemieux, and the Rangers need to replenish wing depth.

I’d be willing to alter the deal I posted by changing 2018 1st to a conditional 1st if Jets reach ECF and 2nd if they don’t but that’s probably about it.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I'm not a fan of that. Good value but depletes our pool. Depending on the Trouba situation I'd move him straight up.
I don’t think the Rangers would have a problem with that.

Deam78

Aug 16, 2017
And that is a really close deal. 2018 1st, (Vesalainen or Roslovic) & (Lemieux or Armia) is where I stand. I think that’s pretty fair too.
Rangers can add mid pick or a rental but that’s what I’ve got for you.
1st, Roslovic, Lemieux seems good to me.

I'm a huge Roslovic fan, but Vesalainen fits the Jets mold better and have more years on his ELC. Plus, Rangers probably prefer a C like Roslovic to Vesalainen and Maurice doesn't seem to like Roslovic that much (especially at C).

That gives us two solide playoff runs to try and win it all before cap issues start to kick in (McD, Wheeler, Laine, Connor, Myers, Mason contracts all expire at the same time and choices will have to be made.)

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013

I'm a huge Roslovic fan, but Vesalainen fits the Jets mold better and have more years on his ELC. Plus, Rangers probably prefer a C like Roslovic to Vesalainen and Maurice doesn't seem to like Roslovic that much (especially at C).

That gives us two solide playoff runs to try and win it all before cap issues start to kick in (McD, Wheeler, Laine, Connor, Myers, Mason contracts all expire at the same time and choices will have to be made.)
Rangers actually need Wing more than C, but that is very good value.

Deam78

Aug 16, 2017
Rangers actually need Wing more than C, but that is very good value.
I saw in a lot of thread Rangers would want C more than wings because they'd prefer Hayes and Miller at wings and they're not convince Zibanejad is the #1C they need. That's just what I've read that I used to evaluate the need here, I guess I'm wrong then, thanks to clarify.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I saw in a lot of thread Rangers would want C more than wings because they'd prefer Hayes and Miller at wings and they're not convince Zibanejad is the #1C they need. That's just what I've read that I used to evaluate the need here, I guess I'm wrong then, thanks to clarify.
Some clarifications:
Hayes is probably not a winger at the NHL level. He hasn’t been played there as a Ranger except very small doses and there is really no reason to suggest he would be better there.
Miller is better at winger at NHL level, but honestly this staff has moved him around so much that he needs to have a position and stick with it. I don’t think it’s really debatable that he has show the most on the wing, and the Rangers need him there most because they have atrocious depth at that position.
The Rangers drafted two centers in the first round last year, Andersson and Chytil. Both will probably be on the team next year, and Zibanejad isn’t going anywhere. Maybe he is a 1C maybe he is not. Zibanejad looked like a 1C with healthy Kreider, and he was their best forward until he got hurt. There is no depth at wing in the system and Nash and Grabner are UFA. The Rangers are also rebuilding so they definitely need wingers more.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I think this is close.

Veselainen would be in any deal. I’ve always been a big Roslovic fan but doubt they could get him AND Veselainen.

Sounds like Niku is a non starter. Which is fine. No interest in Copp though.

I would think Lemieux would have to be in the deal. I don’t know Winnipeg that well so I don’t know if a guy like Armia would be in the table. Maybe Connor is? I don’t know the Jets depth chart that well.

Rangers can add one if the rental wingers as well, maybe even Maurice favorite Zuccarello if the return is on point.

McDonagh and Nash or Grabner for 2018 1st, Veselainen, Lemieux and Armia makes some sense to me, but I could be off.

That gives Jets a 1.5 year window before cap hell strikes and a re-tool.

They could be longterm contenders, don't ruin that Jets.

Reactions: Heldig
Nov 24, 2006

He currently plays him on the first line RW and PP.

Deam78

Aug 16, 2017
Some clarifications:
Hayes is probably not a winger at the NHL level. He hasn’t been played there as a Ranger except very small doses and there is really no reason to suggest he would be better there.
Miller is better at winger at NHL level, but honestly this staff has moved him around so much that he needs to have a position and stick with it. I don’t think it’s really debatable that he has show the most on the wing, and the Rangers need him there most because they have atrocious depth at that position.
The Rangers drafted two centers in the first round last year, Andersson and Chytil. Both will probably be on the team next year, and Zibanejad isn’t going anywhere. Maybe he is a 1C maybe he is not. Zibanejad looked like a 1C with healthy Kreider, and he was their best forward until he got hurt. There is no depth at wing in the system and Nash and Grabner are UFA. The Rangers are also rebuilding so they definitely need wingers more.
Great stuff, thanks!

Then maybe Vigneault can do like Maurice and use Roslovic at W.

Deam78

Aug 16, 2017
He currently plays him on the first line RW and PP.

Marko Dano - now there's a player that Maurice doesn't seem to like.
Currently yes, but because of injuries. Any call up before he was used on bottom 6. He looks real good right now.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Rangers gotta get a defenseman coming back in a McDonagh trade, and it can't be an offense only guy. We already have Shattenkirk and DeAngelo for that.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
I want Samberg, take out everything other than Vesalainen and a first. Then I think its fair.

The template for the Leafs was Liljegren+Kapanen+1st. I think Samberg+Vesalainen+1st is pretty close to that.

Yeah I added Copp just because I thought he’d be a good through in into the Bottom 6 for the Rangers and I added Niku(Samberg is fair too, hes a bit tougher and better/ahead defensively by a wide margin for his age but he is however less ready) because of he could be a potential replacement for McDonagh.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
The Jets have a long window of contention coming up. They're going to need cheap talent on ELCs coming in every other year to keep going.

Selling high-end prospects to win now is what teams do at the end of their window, not the beginning.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
Currently yes, but because of injuries. Any call up before he was used on bottom 6. He looks real good right now.
He was called up once, played about 5 games in the bottom 6, Maurice saw how good he was playing and put him with Wheeler and Laine. What are you even talking about?

Maurice has given Roslovic far more opportunity than he typically gives rookies

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Yeah I added Copp just because I thought he’d be a good through in into the Bottom 6 for the Rangers and I added Niku(Samberg is fair too, hes a bit tougher and better/ahead defensively by a wide margin for his age but he is however less ready) because of he could be a potential replacement for McDonagh.

Niku is good, as is Copp. The Rangers should be looking at D prospect+ as the McDonagh return.

The + depends how good the D prospect is. If its one of the best, like Heiskanen or Sergachyov, someone like that, maybe there's no + or a very small one. If its Foote or Samberg or Liljegren or someone like that, the + might be an additional two pieces.

I might not even ask for Vesalainen if thats too much, but I would definitely want Samberg coming back, and then obviously some type of plus.

Deam78

Aug 16, 2017
He was called up once, played about 5 games in the bottom 6, Maurice saw how good he was playing and put him with Wheeler and Laine. What are you even talking about?

Maurice has given Roslovic far more opportunity than he typically gives rookies
Well what I said was right? He was used on the bottom 6, which is not really the spot for a player like him. He's much more useful on the top 6. Anyway, really not that important.

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
Good offer, I think the Rangers and Jets are great trade partners for a McD deal. Better than Tampa imo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad