Confirmed with Link: McDonagh + Miller to Tampa Bay for Namestnikov + Howden + Hajek + 2018 1st + conditional 2019 1st

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Would the following three statements be fair to say?

1. Hajek has the slightly higher boom potential.
2. Their realistic potentials are each pretty similar.
3. Rykov's floor is much higher.

Just between Rykov and Hajek.

I'd argue Rykov has a slightly higher ceiling and is more proven, but their floors and ceilings are pretty similar.

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
Calgary, Alberta
Just a question here that maybe somebody can answer. I think read somewhere in this board about a remark that Miller was 'uncoachable'. I think that was the word.
I haven't located whatever it was that I think I saw, so was curious if anybody could point me to that, if it was an actual quote from Rangers front office or not.
If it was, that is quite damning. Really, how often would you hear that said of a player? If it was said, would it be construed as some kind of difficulty or inability in learning and implementing concepts or practices, or a reluctance or resistance to learning them?

Being honest here. This is the one trade that I wish had more understanding of. I totally love the approach of culture change. I believe that there are times you have to identify which pieces are not part of the solution when trying to be expedient in making change.
I was keenly interested in JT's development and the strides he made from day one, and do wonder what happened. Did the Rangers simply think they had seen his best, and it was not good enough and not worth the anticipated dollars, or was there truly a 'bad attitude' aspect that played a part?

PS
love what I saw from Namestnikov last night, but he is not key to my question in this post.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
Just a question here that maybe somebody can answer. I think read somewhere in this board about a remark that Miller was 'uncoachable'. I think that was the word.
I haven't located whatever it was that I think I saw, so was curious if anybody could point me to that, if it was an actual quote from Rangers front office or not.
If it was, that is quite damning. Really, how often would you hear that said of a player? If it was said, would it be construed as some kind of difficulty or inability in learning and implementing concepts or practices, or a reluctance or resistance to learning them?

Being honest here. This is the one trade that I wish had more understanding of. I totally love the approach of culture change. I believe that there are times you have to identify which pieces are not part of the solution when trying to be expedient in making change.
I was keenly interested in JT's development and the strides he made from day one, and do wonder what happened. Did the Rangers simply think they had seen his best, and it was not good enough and not worth the anticipated dollars, or was there truly a 'bad attitude' aspect that played a part?

PS
love what I saw from Namestnikov last night, but he is not key to my question in this post.
It was in a Brooks article from Tuesday I think, I’ll try to find a link to it

Edit: here’s the link https://nypost.com/2018/02/27/breaking-down-why-rangers-chose-to-move-mcdonagh-miller/

Reactions: trilobyte

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I'd argue Rykov has a slightly higher ceiling and is more proven, but their floors and ceilings are pretty similar.

Rykov does not have the higher ceiling. And I really like Rykov as a prospect. He has a 2/3 ceiling (much more likely a second pairing guy with tweener upside). Hajek has a 1/2 ceiling (more likely a second pairing guy, but legitimate top pairing upside).

Rykov is a safer prospect to be a NHL player long-term (as long as he comes over). Hajek isn't some boom or bust guy, but his floor is a tier below Rykov's. They are sort of overlapping players.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Rykov does not have the higher ceiling. And I really like Rykov as a prospect. He has a 2/3 ceiling (much more likely a second pairing guy with tweener upside). Hajek has a 1/2 ceiling (more likely a second pairing guy, but legitimate top pairing upside).

Rykov is a safer prospect to be a NHL player long-term (as long as he comes over). Hajek isn't some boom or bust guy, but his floor is a tier below Rykov's. They are sort of overlapping players.

Agree with this.

Reactions: TheTakedown

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

Hajek to me could go either way. He could be a guy who puts all the piecing together and emerges as a first pair guy, or he could be a guy who never makes it beyond the AHL. Personally, I see him have a much broader range than any of the defensive prospects we received at the deadline.

Reactions: Hunter Gathers

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Hajek to me could go either way. He could be a guy who puts all the piecing together and emerges as a first pair guy, or he could be a guy who never makes it beyond the AHL. Personally, I see him have a much broader range than any of the defensive prospects we received at the deadline.

I think his physical skills are good enough to get him into the NHL. Whether he tops out as a top pairing guy or not, to me, is the big debate. But yeah, he's a dude who definitely has a lower floor than Rykov.

At the minimum, I think he's a guy that has more than enough talent to bounce around and stay in the league.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York

We don't even really disagree about Rykov, but I'm not sure we can say that definitively about Hajek. A 1/2 ceiling for a defenseman who isn't even averaging 1PPG in his 19 year old CHL season is tough to project. Many who've watched him more than I have seem to think he has untapped offensive potential, and I liked what I saw at the WJC, but it seems like at the very least its a projection, its certainly not what he produces like right now, otherwise he'd be well over 1PPG right now.

It does seem like the Rangers might think that though, given Brooks and Friedman both said we were empathic about them including Hajek. Hopefully our scouts are right.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
I think with what we have, our 3-6 defensive slots will be in very good shape 3 or 4 years from now.

It's those gaping holes at 1-2 that could be problematic.
If we move up a few spots in the lottery or trade up and get Boqvist I think we could be set up very nicely

Skjei - Boqvist
Hajek - DeAngelo
Lindgren - Rykov

That would be a great all around group with a ton of offence, fast skaters, grit, leadership quality, etc.

Replace one with Pionk perhaps, but I’m not quite as high on him as most of this board. I think he’s a solid poised dman but I think all of those D prospects we just acquired have much higher ceilings than him. I’m probably a lot higher on Skjei than others, but I think people are overreacting over this dumpster fire of a season. I think especially with a partner with the offensive acumen of Boqvist, Skjei could focus a more on the defensive aspect of his game and be a very solid 1B. He was considered a defensive defenseman when he was drafted but somehow exploded as an offensive D. He could become a star two-way defenseman with the right system & partner.

tradenashnow

Feb 17, 2018
You're on drugs if you think Rykov's ceiling is higher than Hajek. Try reading some scouting articles. You could not be more wrong.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
If Rykov reaches his ceiling it is because he has decent defensive play and good offensive skills, a real two way guy. If Hajek reaches his ceiling it is because he plays top notch defense against top line opponents, while chipping in only a little bit on offense. Just my take.

MarkMessyay11

Jan 12, 2015
NJ
The teams that win the cup acquire *many* of their best players through the draft, lest you forget Pronger, Niedermayer, Rafalski, Hasek, Hossa, Sharp, Chara, Horton, Thomas, Williams, Carter, Gaborik, or Kessel.

No argument that you need to draft top players. You also need to supplement them.

I think that the bold was the theme of this TDL. At least the motive behind acquiring the prospects we received...Rykov, Lindgren, Howden, and Hajek all aren't sure-fire superstars by any stretch. Maybe one of them exceeds expectations, but it's more likely that they fill roles up and down the lineup, as opposed to being "the guy". And that's not a knock on any of them. I think acquiring those types of players are just as important as acquiring top end talent, like you said. Look at the Oilers...they've done nothing but draft talent and it's gotten them one playoff appearance in how many years?

My guess is they feel Chytil is projecting to be one of their future top guys and plan to add at least one more with their own 1st rounder this year. Jury is still out on Andersson's ceiling, but either way he's an integral part too.

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
If we move up a few spots in the lottery or trade up and get Boqvist I think we could be set up very nicely

Skjei - Boqvist
Hajek - DeAngelo
Lindgren - Rykov

That would be a great all around group with a ton of offence, fast skaters, grit, leadership quality, etc.

Replace one with Pionk perhaps, but I’m not quite as high on him as most of this board. I think he’s a solid poised dman but I think all of those D prospects we just acquired have much higher ceilings than him. I’m probably a lot higher on Skjei than others, but I think people are overreacting over this dumpster fire of a season. I think especially with a partner with the offensive acumen of Boqvist, Skjei could focus a more on the defensive aspect of his game and be a very solid 1B. He was considered a defensive defenseman when he was drafted but somehow exploded as an offensive D. He could become a star two-way defenseman with the right system & partner.

I'm high on Pionk. I'd replace Lindgren with him.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Still not sure about DeAngelo.

Same. I think there will be a long period of maturation for him that the Rangers might not have patience for. Gilmour is catching up fast and Pionk's game is already more mature. I could see ADA bouncing around until he finally gets or goes over the other side of the pond.

Reactions: Harbour Dog

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
You're on drugs if you think Rykov's ceiling is higher than Hajek. Try reading some scouting articles. You could not be more wrong.

You are the person who has made many xenophobic comments against Russian players.

I don't need to read scouting articles, I'm capable of watching these players play.

By the way, here's a scouting article from today that agrees with me.

@selefant18: Which prospect that the NYR acquired has the best chance at succeeding in the NHL?

The three big prospects they got in Libor Hajek, Brett Howden, and Yegor Rykov are all relatively close for me in terms of prospect value. Different scouts I’d ask would lean different ways. I really like Rykov and have for years, and I guess I lean that way, but it’s a tough call for me.

Pronman Mailbag: Which Rangers prospects have the best...

Reactions: kovazub94

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad