Post-Game Talk: Mcdavid>Winnipeg Jets lose

Status
Not open for further replies.

abax44

Jan 22, 2005
About the length of time it took for Nurse to score. Just accept it, that effort was terrible. No sugarcoating it.
Scheifele was the one that lost Ehlers pass, it was turned around and then Laine got on the ice. He did enough wrong on his own without trying to hang this one on him too.

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
Personally though the forward group as whole was horrid for most of the night. They can't seem to string a series of passes together. Blaming the defense seems to be the new meta around here but I could go through all the even strength goals and point out how horrid the forward group was on each goal.

Yep. Your team as a whole is directed to "take it easy" in 4-1 lead, while it's apparent to everyone that defense is impaired relative to its level on paper, what forwards should really do, if further offense seems to be impossible?

Go to hedgehog -style defense (which itself would be serious indication of inability of game plan). If that fails, then we can blame goalie, not before. And why it fails is largely a fault of the coach for not being able to keep players accountable.

Helle is the last person to get accused here.

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
Scheifele was the one that lost Ehlers pass, it was turned around and then Laine got on the ice. He did enough wrong on his own without trying to hang this one on him too.

Ehlers shouldn't have passed in the first place as they were trying to change, Scheifele lost it (albeit he got it in a bad position), Laine came on while the Oilers play was already developing and wasn't aggressive enough, yet he gets pretty much all the blame.

This while for example Wheeler had equal turnover numbers as Laine last season, lets in more goals against, and is not any more aggressive in the D zone most of the time. Yet *ALL* the blame is placed on Laine (and some people even called for him to be traded). Laine was admittedly horrible last night, but so was pretty much everyone else (Helle included).

Last edited:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Personally though the forward group as whole was horrid for most of the night. They can't seem to string a series of passes together. Blaming the defense seems to be the new meta around here but I could go through all the even strength goals and point out how horrid the forward group was on each goal.
I agree the forwards weren't very good, but it's hard to watch Kulikov and Chiarot, and Myers and Morrow stuggle.

Reactions: YWGinYYZ

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I also find it super pathetic that the whole subforum are coming down HARD on both Ehlers and Laine, and giving free passes to guys playing 20+ mins a night, not really contributing, staying on ice for too long.

Yeah Laine had bad coverage on that OT goal, and Ehlers made a bonehead pass, but Chef looked like he didn't know if he was coming or going, cant put all blame on those 2.

What about the goals to equalize the game? Those were not on Ehlers nor Laine.

Other than tonight, the kids have played low low minutes, and people were still treating them like this **** is all on them.

Im sure both of them have crappy confidences, as this is not what they are.

Embarrassing guys, come on!

Yes, I agree. Why do we call out Laine and not Wheeler? (not going to defend Ehlers).

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
It's going up to 23 degrees today, the Oilers beat the Jets and I can bask in the glowing rage of this thread. Life is good.

Seriously though Jet fans, it's just one game. A lot of teams have had slow starts this season. There is no doubt in my mind Winnipeg finishes ahead of Edmonton in the standings and makes a strong push in the playoffs. You have a ton of talent on that team.

Stay cool.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Ok, cooled down somewhat from last night (Laine still blew that coverage though and no excuse for such a lazy effort).

The Jets played two pretty good periods of hockey and then sat back and lost all of their spacing. Their back pressure was terrible, their rotation on the forecheck was terrible, the middle of the ice was wide open the whole 3rd period and the D was routinely getting pushed back to the hashmarks, that's not how they play. They also gave the puck away far too easily and needlessly a lot.

I don't know what Mo is seeing in those D pairings but you'd think an NHL coach would recognize they are a disaster. It's not a matter of the forwards not supporting in the right places either, it's a matter of some of them not making quick enough reads or just flat out making the wrong reads. Our D is drastically overrated after JoMo, Trouba and Buff, it's actually downright scary. I really hope they see the need for a guy like Niku sooner than later, it's painfully obvious he brings the type of play they are missing. Mo himself says their game starts with quick movement from the back end, so his solution is Morrow and Chiarot? Christ, it's bad enough with Myers back there let alone adding both of those guys into the mix. Pairings also make no sense, surely Maurice sees how they are getting buried. This is us without Buff and Enstrom.

Scheifele and Wheeler need to stop taking so many shifts off in their own end and coming back through the neutral zone. they are releasing way too early looking for transition. Their backpressure needs to be part of that transition.

Changing the lines is fine but first and foremost try balancing their toi better. It's a joke already, Perreault seeing the ice as little as he does is a crime. Roslo isn't going to develop as a reliable C playing those kind of minutes.

Despite all of that they were still in a great position to win the game, can't let those slip away so carelessly.

Last edited:

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Teams have completely adjusted to Laine and don't give him any time and space. He is very one dimensional. Powerplay is different in that being short a man, they can't commit and collapse on him so as long as we move the puck around a bit, it is just a matter of time before we can find him open. But 5 on 5, he just isn't particularly dangerous for defensively disciplined teams. He did have the nice end to end rush last night, and managed to bounce the puck through for a sog. But generally, he can be neutralized 5v5.

I still don't understand why Maurice had Laine and Ehlers, two defensive black holes, out in OT. There is only so much ice Morrissey can cover. It's not that Ehlers contributes much offensively, and we already know how weak he is defensively. Seems like such a low probability move as a coach when there are only 6 skaters out there, and high end talent from the opposing team. I mean Ehlers didn't even seem to move when Nurse, a defensman, dummied him with not much of a deek. And Laine seemed to be just completely disinterested in the idea of defending. These are the decisions that tmake me believe that Maurice does not make coaching decisions to maximize our probability of success as a team. He is supposed to leverage our players strengths, not expose and highlight their known weaknesses.

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
This thread is a basically a build up of watching our team play lazily with zero passion for the first 6 games of the season like they do not even care.

Time for this team to take some accountability and step up their game playing like it matters again.
The Jets need to set their alarm clock because it is time to wake up.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
People are upset with Laine and Ehlers because they were the guys who directly contributed to the pivotal, game winning goal. I've seen lots of other blame to go around for how the team played, in that 3rd period especially But when you make decisions and put in an effort like they did on a play that ultimately decides the game, you're going to feel some heat, deservedly so.

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
I think the key to OT is shifts under an hour so you can hustle back to the bench.

Reactions: FFHockey

1OApick

Jun 29, 2016
Laine and Ehlers had pretty good drop pass plays 5on5. Those should convert. Give puck to Ehlers with speed to setup Laine.
Also when Laine gets puck he is always on the right side without any help. Even Mcdavid couldnt get anything done with two players pinching while standing still.

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
This thread is a basically a build up of watching our team play lazily with zero passion for the first 6 games of the season like they do not even care.

Time for this team to take some accountability and step up their game playing like it matters again.
The Jets need to set their alarm clock because it is time to wake up.

The Jets are taking things for granted.

Reactions: tntkid

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Some people are not happy with Laine and Ehler's defensive game, not because of last night, but because of every night. Some people are not happy with Ehler's offensive game because he doesn't have much of one going back into last year. It would be ok, except for how much we are paying him. If he had a Burmistrov paycheck, who cares. But he doesn't. Kulikov has as many points as he does this year.

Reactions: Ducky10 and tntkid

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
This. First Ehlers forces a long pass into the skates of Scheifele, who was going for a (late) change. This stupid play also keeps Morrissey from being able to change. Then Ehlers decides to step up and falls for a simple toedrag instead of just keeping Nurse on the outside and playing positionally sound hockey (which is what Laine was at least trying to do. Had Laine been too aggressive, then Nurse simply could have put the puck in an open space for RNH to walk in on).

Ehlers really looks like he is trying too much now, which causes him to do bad decisions. It's strange what confidence can do for a hockey player, because when he's feeling it he is a world class player.
One has to wonder if we really practice what to do in OT. We never seem to learn that possession of the puck is EVERYTHING when 3 on 3. That long stretch pass by Ehlers was dumb yes, but what I see all the time is a general lack of patience from our guys. Its as if we're happy with the one point & we're going hell bent for the 2nd rather than strategizing just a bit. Small thing, but its costing us several points a year.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
People are upset with Laine and Ehlers because they were the guys who directly contributed to the pivotal, game winning goal. I've seen lots of other blame to go around for how the team played, in that 3rd period especially But when you make decisions and put in an effort like they did on a play that ultimately decides the game, you're going to feel some heat, deservedly so.

I actually see that on coaching. You know what you have defensively with Laine and Ehlers. They look like that defensively pretty much every game, but now with wide open ice 3 on 3, no one to clean up your mistakes behind you. It's not like that outcome should be a surprise. The surprise is that the coaching staff throws them over the boards at the same time in OT. Just a very low probability decision. Reeks of stupidity or desperation or both.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Laine and Ehlers had pretty good drop pass plays 5on5. Those should convert. Give puck to Ehlers with speed to setup Laine.
Also when Laine gets puck he is always on the right side without any help. Even Mcdavid couldnt get anything done with two players pinching while standing still.

Second that. It was like they had read this very forum about that drop pass. Someone posted about how a drop pass would be a no-brainer for them to do, with Ehlers skating the puck into o-zone and dropping the puck for Laine. I did catch another drop pass also, if I was not hallucinating.

Reactions: 1OApick

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
I can't believe JoMo signed for 3.125 a year. He should fire his agent.

JoMo has been great. I like him on PP too, even when there has been couple of times that puck went to neutral zone as JoMo is left handed and couldn't catch the puck that Buff would have done easily.

Other than that, JoMo knows who can shoot the puck and does accordingly. Simple, but that just works.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville

I think the same thing of Ehlers. He's going thru a slump right now. I think the major cause of this is "Laine". He's not a good complimentary player to play with Ehlers, because he doesn't have the speed..

The answer will come when Roslovic is lined up with Ehlers. He needs a speed and talent guy to play with him. I'm not impressed with that slow Laine, with his lack of effort., and continually giving the puck away.The only thing I like about Laine is his rifle shot -- which does have value. I question his value though-what's he worth ??
I go with that assessment as well. Laine seems to be coasting a lot too much out there. Can be fast when he wants to, but not really putting the effort in right now. I'd like to see Roslovic & Ehlers together for a while. Moving Ehlers to the 4th line right now wouldn't be such a bad thing. That & giving the Scheif/Wheeler joined at the hip thing a break, and we're a different club.
Connor-Scheif-Laine
Perrault-Little-Wheeler
CLT
Ehlers-Roslo-Lemieux

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
I actually see that on coaching. You know what you have defensively with Laine and Ehlers. They look like that defensively pretty much every game, but now with wide open ice 3 on 3, no one to clean up your mistakes behind you. It's not like that outcome should be a surprise. The surprise is that the coaching staff throws them over the boards at the same time in OT. Just a very low probability decision. Reeks of stupidity or desperation or both.
Fair enough but players still need to own their crap play, there is little excuse for that type of effort, especially at that point in the game.

Reactions: Jetfaninflorida

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
I actually like what Roslovic has shown so far in his limited TOI.
I like what Lemieux is showing.
I like Tanev.
I like how Connor’s playing.
And Morrissey is the best of them all. We need 5 more just like him.

As for the rest? Let’s just leave it there.
I'll agree, those are our heroes right now. Especially Morrissey & the goalies - holding this club together or we'd be 1-5 or worse. Have to add Lowry to that list, and a couple other guys are trying hard, but the rest are just loafing.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
Patience Jets fans, 3-2-1 isn't a terrible start. It's a meh start and lots of season to go.

Reactions: GNP
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad