Mcdavid vs Hedman | Who’s Better Relative To Their Positional Peers?

Who’s better relative to their positiin

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I voted Hedman but I think they're pretty similarly ahead. Hedman's further ahead over the past couple years combined, while McDavid is further ahead this particular year. However, in general that speaks more toward the lack of elite defensemen in their primes right now than anything. There isn't even a clear couple defensemen to pick after Hedman.

Imagine if they switched teams though, would it really even be close to a debate?

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
McDavid. He’s dominating the field for the scoring lead in a Gretzkyesque fashion over an 82 game pace.

He’s already 18 points ahead of 3rd place Kane just 34 games in. 10 ahead of 2nd place Draisaitl who happens to play on the same team.

He’s already up to 60 points in 34 games and having one of the most dominant seasons in terms of analytics since we’ve tracked it.

On pace if he keeps this up for the best season since Lemieux in 1995-96 if we’re prorating the 56 games over 82 and assuming he keeps this pace. He tends to heat up as the season goes on as well.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
You do realize career ppg tanks as you age? McDavid just hit 500 points the same amount of games Crosby did.

It works both ways.

Often players are not at their peak the first few years they’re in the NHL and then not at their peak the last few years they’re in the league.

Reactions: Future GOAT

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
McDavid is on a point pace that we haven't seen since the early 2000's when some guy called Jagr was doing it. All of this while single handedly willing his team to wins as well. Hedman is a magnificent defenseman but he's also playing on an absolute juggernaut of a team. Not sure why you included Josi in the discussion considering he's been terrible this year. Doughty would have been a more relevant #2 comparison imo.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
You do realize career ppg tanks as you age? McDavid just hit 500 points the same amount of games Crosby did.

Crosby's PPG wouldnt have tanked if he didn't battle injuries during his prime so this isn't really relevant. McDavid could very well demolish Crosby's career points path barring catastrophic injuries like Sid had to deal with.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
McDavid.

He’s heading towards another Hart trophy at the age of 24.

Not to mention he ranks 5th all-time in points per game. He’s ahead of guys like Crosby, Lafleur, Forsberg, and Esposito. That’s absolutely insane when you consider he’s not doing this in 80’s style hockey too.

Connor McDavid is trending towards being a top-10 player of all-time and that’s a conservative projection. No other forward in the league is tracking close to that level.
Obviously his career PPG will slow down as he ages but it doesn't make your fact any less impressive! If he can stay healthy and age gracefully he could be looking at taking the 5th best player of all time slot.
The top 4 are really set with Gretzky, Lemieux, Orr, Howe but after that it starts getting murky. Crosby could have solidified himself as the clear number 5 but I think injuries are going to keep his career numbers a little low for that, which is a real shame that there will always be "what if" questions regarding 87.

If this season ended today McDavid would have: 3 Lindsays, 3 Art Rosses, 2 Harts, and a Rocket Richard at 24 years old. That's absurd.

Last edited:

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Well, Hedman's not even the best defenseman. At least not this year. Ekblad is better.

He didn't win the Norris last year either. Josi did. McDavid didn't win the Hart either. But at least McDavid is up there alone when people generally think of the best forward.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Well, Hedman's not even the best defenseman. At least not this year. Ekblad is better.

He didn't win the Norris last year either. Josi did. McDavid didn't win the Hart either. But at least McDavid is up there alone when people generally think of the best forward.
tenor.gif

MrOT

Roenick / Modano / Hull
Jan 5, 2016
McDavid. He’s dominating the field for the scoring lead in a Gretzkyesque fashion over an 82 game pace.

He’s already 18 points ahead of 3rd place Kane just 34 games in. 10 ahead of 2nd place Draisaitl who happens to play on the same team.

He’s already up to 60 points in 34 games and having one of the most dominant seasons in terms of analytics since we’ve tracked it.

On pace if he keeps this up for the best season since Lemieux in 1995-96 if we’re prorating the 56 games over 82 and assuming he keeps this pace. He tends to heat up as the season goes on as well.

I think we need to take historic comparisons with a grain of salt though since McDavid is only playing a handfull of teams this season. It is an outlier, he might have reached this level anyway but we don't know

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
honestly... i would say Hedman. its pretty crazy how dominant he is. no dman really comes close. Mcdavid is clearly the best in the world but say a Nathan Mackinnon is closer to him than any dman is to Hedman.

Reactions: DownIsTheNewUp

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Well, McDavids's not even the best forward. At least not this year. Draisaitl is better.

He didn't win the Hart last year either. Draisaitl did. Hedman didn't win the Norris either. But at least Hedman is up there alone when people generally think of the best defensemen.

Haha, for real?

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
It's still McDavid.

I would bet on McDavid as the more likely Art Ross winner for the next five seasons, than Hedman as the Norris winner for the next five seasons.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I think we need to take historic comparisons with a grain of salt though since McDavid is only playing a handfull of teams this season. It is an outlier, he might have reached this level anyway but we don't know
What about the last 2 seasons when he reached 60 points in 39 games. and 51 points in 29 games last year, playing the whole league.

This level of performance out of him, isnt a new thing, and he's been very good defensively this year too.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
honestly... i would say Hedman. its pretty crazy how dominant he is. no dman really comes close. Mcdavid is clearly the best in the world but say a Nathan Mackinnon is closer to him than any dman is to Hedman.
Hahaha

What a terrible take.

So many Homer's on HF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad