Mcdavid vs Hedman | Who’s Better Relative To Their Positional Peers?

Who’s better relative to their positiin

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
This isn’t about who the better hockey player is in general so please don’t bring that up. The question I’m asking is who’s better at their position relative to those chasing them. I think it’s far to say Mcdavid is the best centre in the league by a large gap. Just like it’s fair to say the same about Hedman as a defenseman. My question is, who has the bigger gap on who’s chasing them?

Mcdavid vs Mackinnon/Draisaitl

or

Hedman vs Makar/Josi

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Yes I realize I spelled position wrong in the poll question but I have no idea how to edit it lol

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Going into this season I would have said Hedman as I believed Draisaitl/Mackinnon were nipping at the heels of McDavid but this season McDavid is really separating himself

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
McDavid is on an entirely different level and lead the league in scoring every year barring some injury

Hedman is clearly the best D in the NHL but not a lock for the Norris every year

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Lot of defensemen can challenge Hedman and his grand total of 1 Norris trophy in 13 seasons. Recently beaten by Josi...

Connor McDavid is in a league of his own.

Already multiple Art Ross Trophies , Hart, Ted Lindsay, and just turned 24.

There is no comparison

4 Homer's vote for Hedman just to get a kick.

McDavid is lapping the field

Hedman is lapping nobody.

Reactions: dukeofjive

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Lot of defensemen can challenge Hedman and his grand total of 1 Norris trophy in 13 seasons. Recently beaten by Josi...

There is no comparison

You're criticizing Hedman for not winning the Norris every year when McDavid hasn't won a trophy the last two years...

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
McDavid is on an entirely different level and lead the league in scoring every year barring some injury

Hedman is clearly the best D in the NHL but not a lock for the Norris every year

And McDavid isn't a lock for the Art Ross/Hart or Lindsey every year either. Hedman has been a finalist for 4 years straight about to be his 5th.

McDavid was outscored by his teammate last season :laugh:

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I voted Hedman but I think they're pretty similarly ahead. Hedman's further ahead over the past couple years combined, while McDavid is further ahead this particular year. However, in general that speaks more toward the lack of elite defensemen in their primes right now than anything. There isn't even a clear couple defensemen to pick after Hedman.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
McDavid.

He’s heading towards another Hart trophy at the age of 24.

Not to mention he ranks 5th all-time in points per game. He’s ahead of guys like Crosby, Lafleur, Forsberg, and Esposito. That’s absolutely insane when you consider he’s not doing this in 80’s style hockey too.

Connor McDavid is trending towards being a top-10 player of all-time and that’s a conservative projection. No other forward in the league is tracking close to that level.

Last edited:
Reactions: McCombo

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
And McDavid isn't a lock for the Art Ross/Hart or Lindsey every year either. Hedman has been a finalist for 4 years straight about to be his 5th.

Because he played fewer games and was coming off a major knee injury. The Art Ross race before the year is clearly McDavid vs the field with McDavid favored. As good as Hedman is, I don't think the Norris is quite that lopsided.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
You're criticizing Hedman for not winning the Norris every year when McDavid hasn't won a trophy the last two years...

Lol...

McDavid has won more awards before 21 then Hedman in his entire career.

Are you trying to argue how many awards 97 has won in the last 2 years to a 30 year old ?

Because that would be a pretty dumb take.

Hedman has 1 Norris trophy in his 13 year career bro. He doesn't even have 3 or 4 to even have this conversation lol

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Lol...

McDavid has won more awards before 21 then Hedman in his entire career.

Are you trying to argue how many awards 97 has won in the last 2 years to a 30 year old ?

Because that would be a pretty dumb take.

Hedman has 1 Norris trophy in his 13 year career bro. He doesn't even have 3 or 4 to even have this conversation lol

The only dumb take is your interpretation of the question. We're talking about right now, compared to their current peers, not how their careers will shape up all time and how they compared earlier in their careers. Of course McDavid will go down as a better center all time than Hedman will go down as a defenseman, and of course he's been better among centers over his career than Hedman has over his full career, but that's not the question. It's asking the current difference between McDavid and Draisaitl/MacKinnon/Matthews, whoever, vs the difference between Hedman and...whoever the hell even make sense as the 2nd best defenseman. Age has nothing to do with it. Hedman, like McDavid is considered the best due to year to year consistency, not necessarily winning every year. McDavid has won more, but his competition has also been more consistent.

Last edited:
Reactions: flipp

DownIsTheNewUp

Mar 27, 2017
Tampa

There is no comparison

LAPPING NOBODY!
1228784238.jpg.0.jpg

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018

McDavid was injured last season hence why I said “barring injury” but go off I guess

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton

Go figure you say something without providing facts like how he just came back from a big injury, missed more games than Draisaitl did, and Covid shutting the rest of the season down. But hey, 97 points in 64 games still isn't bad. Also then again, its not a surprise coming from you since you tend to shit on anything regarding the Oilers on a daily basis. Get a hobby.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Actually a pretty tough question if you're just looking at "separation." McDavid is clearly the best forward in a league that has a lot of star power in it. Hedman is clearly the best defenseman in a league that... honestly isn't exactly in an elite era for that position.

I think McDavid's separation from the pack is more impressive but Hedman's separation is a bigger gap.

Reactions: Crow, bov and Regal

RedLeader

Feb 13, 2008
I think Hedman is further from his relative peers than McDavid is by a small margin , however it's harder to separate yourself from your peers as a forward since there is literally twice as many of them in the league.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
McDavid.
Not to mention he ranks 5th all-time in points per game. He’s ahead of guys like Crosby, Lafleur, Forsberg, and Esposito. That’s absolutely insane when you consider he’s not doing this in 80’s style hockey too.

You do realize career ppg tanks as you age? McDavid just hit 500 points the same amount of games Crosby did.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
You do realize career ppg tanks as you age? McDavid just hit 500 points the same amount of games Crosby did.

This.

McJesus fans need to really slow your roll.

Maybe McDavid won't be golfing or watching the playoffs on TV again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad