McDavid snubbed as finalist for Hart

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
One other comment. Sidney Crosby has won the Hart only twice. The guy has done nothing but owned hockey for his whole career and has been a consistent 200ft player and arguably still best in the game in that regard. Crosby is going for his third cup win in a row and won't have won any of those Hart Trophys despite being a sublimely dominant player and especially when it counts. In contrast OV, who has never led his team anywhere has 3MVP wins. Toews has zero, Kopitar, Doughty, zero. The very leaders of the teams that have won nearly all the cups in the last decade have very little MVP representation. Instead unlikely names like Corey Perry (WTF?) or even H Sedin or Jose Theodore or Carey Price.

The Hart Trophy awards have never really been fair. The press gets locked into some or other players. In all the award is pretty unrepresentative of the body of work. The only time they got it right consistently was the Gretz era.

Reactions: Hopelessoilfan

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Id give it to helleybuck myself.

It should really be one of the other award winnera winning it.

If you bring wins and team make up into it it geta weird.

And if we are going weird then lets go klingberg.

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Easy to see who the chia supporters are by these post lmfao

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Id give it to helleybuck myself.

It should really be one of the other award winnera winning it.

If you bring wins and team make up into it it geta weird.

And if we are going weird then lets go klingberg.

Hellebuyck should absolutely be in the conversation, what kind of year do they have with Mason in net? Probably similar to the Oilers...

Hall wins this in a landslide...

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Last year was last year....not sure how that has any bearing on this year?

My issue I guess....would be that you sub mcdavid onto nj and they are better. And hes their mvp. No matter what hall did.

And what he did for nj (score) mcd did better on a worse team. Thus he must be more "valuable".

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
One other comment. Sidney Crosby has won the Hart only twice. The guy has done nothing but owned hockey for his whole career and has been a consistent 200ft player and arguably still best in the game in that regard. Crosby is going for his third cup win in a row and won't have won any of those Hart Trophys despite being a sublimely dominant player and especially when it counts. In contrast OV, who has never led his team anywhere has 3MVP wins. Toews has zero, Kopitar, Doughty, zero. The very leaders of the teams that have won nearly all the cups in the last decade have very little MVP representation. Instead unlikely names like Corey Perry (WTF?) or even H Sedin or Jose Theodore or Carey Price.

The Hart Trophy awards have never really been fair. The press gets locked into some or other players. In all the award is pretty unrepresentative of the body of work. The only time they got it right consistently was the Gretz era.

Couldn’t agree more. The press make their decision early and based on nothing but hype seemingly, and will go to the ends of the earth to justify it.

Really it should be as simple as what team would take the biggest step back without that player, in which case I’d think it’d be a tight race between hall, McKinnon and McDavid. Kopitar had a great year, but his supporting cast, is 10 times what any of the other three have.

I think McDavid should win based on him having the best performance on the worst team, but hall or McKinnon would also be worthy picks.

I assume a huge part of it is these guys all having big “rebound” years so they get all the hype, while McDavid just keeps doing McDavid things. I feel like there will always be a bigger press story than McDavids consistent God like play, because writing about that every day isn’t great press. Therefore there will always be more hype for these outliers or rebound players.

Either way, as I said before, the press having any say in this is a complete joke anyways, especially when they have essentially the same award picked by players, and the nominees differ. Who do you think knows hockey more?

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
So much home-town bias in this thread. McDavid shouldn't have been the winner here and I doubt he even cares. He's no higher than third this year. He'll get his share of awards before he's done. I just hope he gets the one that matters - Stanley something.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
My issue I guess....would be that you sub mcdavid onto nj and they are better. And hes their mvp. No matter what hall did.

And what he did for nj (score) mcd did better on a worse team. Thus he must be more "valuable".

I just meant Hall wins in a landslide vs McKinnon and Kopitar

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
I just meant Hall wins in a landslide vs McKinnon and Kopitar

imo take the top 3 in wins/pts per position.

Mcdaivd
Giroux
Kucherov

Carlsson
Burns
Klingberg

Helleybuck
Vasilevski
Rinne

So which team suffers the most without said player? IMO.....Jets and then Oilers and then Stars.

So my top 3 would be

Helleybuck
McDavid
Klingberg

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
They should just clarify already and make it the award for the best player on a playoffs team, cause thats what it is. Even the way most writers word it annoys me, they say something like "it for the most valuable player to his team, and that means you have to win games not just individual play, so if you win games you get into the playoffs". But of course Makinnon, Hall and Kopitar didn't win all their teams games, thats just silly. So do you then ask if a player won his teams say 10 games but they made the playoffs by 11 it also doesn't matter???

The bottom line is McD won the oilers more games than any other player won for his team, he was the MVP by that standard.

Any way, just silly. but who cares, hopefully the oilers take it on themselves to make sure he doesn't get burned for awards he deserves in the future.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB

Lol Crosby hasn't "owned hockey" for any extended period of time, contrary to popular belief. And Ovi not having playoff success has nothing to do with him being rightfully named the MVP on 3 occasions.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
They should just clarify already and make it the award for the best player on a playoffs team, cause thats what it is. Even the way most writers word it annoys me, they say something like "it for the most valuable player to his team, and that means you have to win games not just individual play, so if you win games you get into the playoffs". But of course Makinnon, Hall and Kopitar didn't win all their teams games, thats just silly. So do you then ask if a player won his teams say 10 games but they made the playoffs by 11 it also doesn't matter???

The bottom line is McD won the oilers more games than any other player won for his team, he was the MVP by that standard.

Any way, just silly. but who cares, hopefully the oilers take it on themselves to make sure he doesn't get burned for awards he deserves in the future.

the playoff cut off is dumb because its easier to score on better teams.

and whatever logic you use to justify the award the best point getter in the league contributes the most to a win in any hypothetical scenario. the only interesting part about the awatd is it can cross positions........was the best goalie more important than the best forward or best dman....etc?

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
It's cute that any of you think he was going to get a nomination. He missed the playoffs, and despite what it's described as, the Hart is absolutely a team award. If you don't make the playoffs, you aren't getting in. Lemeuix got it after missing the playoffs, but he also won the Art Ross by like 20 points.

He will almost certainly win the Lindsay, so take solace in that. I put more stock in the trophy that the actual players vote on; it's been hard to take Hart voting seriously since Theodore won it over Iginla in 2002.

The Lindsay is literally the only award that means anything, because its the only award where idiot journalists (who know less about the game than the average HFboards poster, lol) don't vote on it.

RandomGuy79

Oct 4, 2017
Surrey
It would be boring if they just gave the Hart to the Art Ross winner every year. Perhaps they should just get rid of the trophy then.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
the playoff cut off is dumb because its easier to score on better teams.

and whatever logic you use to justify the award the best point getter in the league contributes the most to a win in any hypothetical scenario. the only interesting part about the awatd is it can cross positions........was the best goalie more important than the best forward or best dman....etc?

Ya, its so dumb. The award basically says a player who gets 100 points on a team that scored 300 (and thus likely made the playoffs) is better than a guy who got 100 points on a team that score 200 (since the probably missed the playoffs).. just dumb, but writers like to tell a story, and not making the playoffs is a bad story. THey want to write articles about how so and so put a team on his back, not look at the actual stats.

If a team won 20 games, but won every game 1-0 in a shootout the goalie should be the MVP as he basically won them 20 games, but that will never happen.

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
It would be boring if they just gave the Hart to the Art Ross winner every year. Perhaps they should just get rid of the trophy then.
They should make it a general "best forward" award similar to the Vezina and Norris. Add in a trophy for the highest scoring defenceman and expand the All-Star teams to include a 3rd team All-Star.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
They should make it a general "best forward" award similar to the Vezina and Norris. Add in a trophy for the highest scoring defenceman and expand the All-Star teams to include a 3rd team All-Star.

i like the hart idea....jsut restrict it to the ross/norris/vezina nominees

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
Just shows how much writers are idiots , how can the players value McDavid as a top 3 in league but writers who many don't play the game do not. Time to take this right away from these idiots .
hey, this year we get to see how high most of these writers stupidity level is lol. We get to see their votes.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Lol Crosby hasn't "owned hockey" for any extended period of time, contrary to popular belief. And Ovi not having playoff success has nothing to do with him being rightfully named the MVP on 3 occasions.

Crosby is as close to owning hockey as is possible in the capped era. 3 SC's and counting is something else. Keep in mind Crosby has also been the key, and best player for Team Canada in Olympics and tournaments. He's got the midas touch. He's a complete player and good at everything. He may get less offense but it doesn't matter as he does it with guys like Sheary and Rust. Crosby is good enough to hold up AHL level players and again in a capped lineup this is huge. So that a Crosby getting PPG with lesser players is as good as other players bagging 100pts with better linemates.

meh, I'm a purist. Legendary players should sometimes bring their clubs to wins. When is the last time OV did that? Its an absolute joke he has more Harts than Crosby. Crosby has the real heart, and 3 cups so far. More the point Crosby beats OV and the Caps for fun everytime. When's the last time the Caps even beat the Pens in a series?

If you don't like Crosby I don't know why. He's the forward I trust the most in the whole world. He's been that for a dozen years. Nobody better. Not even Mckid yet. Connor still has a lot to learn about allround play as does Draisaitl.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00