McDavid snubbed as finalist for Hart

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
This is also why I expect Hall to win it. There seems to be this thinking that he was a ****ty player in Edmonton or something and now finally he's showing that offensive talent, as if he didn't try his best to drag some sorry ass Oilers teams along in years past.

The hockey world really hates the Oilers and I can't figure out why...
People blame all those lottery wins but the hate has been going on a lot longer than that. Those dynasty guys were an arrogant bunch so I’m pretty sure that’s where the roots are.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I'm perfectly fine with the top 3 and would have had Giroux at 4. All 4 of those guys carried their offenses down the stretch and willed their teams into the playoffs. McDavid led his team to the bottom of the league, not his fault of course but that's just the way it is.

If the Oilers were even remotely in the playoff race it would probably be different but they were out of it by New Years pretty much so I can't see any justification for McDavid finishing top 3 IMO. It's not best player in the league award, it's MVP of this season and leading the team to wins should count for something.

No it's the player deemed and voted to be most valuable to HIS TEAM.. and that's undoubtedly McDavid... but the myopic, lemming-like writers see it different with their busted "must make the playoffs" bs. So be it. f*** the writers. We all know who the actual most valuable player to their team is and who the best player in the NHL is... McDavid... not close.

The only players that have any actual legitimate competition in the Hart race would be the goalies that play 65+ games.. 60 minutes a night.. the Bobrovsky/Gibson type goalies. MacKinnon/Hall/Kopitar are far back of McDavid.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
McDavid would have 120+ pts playing on any other of the playoff bound teams. He easily led in ES pts and participated in the highest pct of his teams goals plus outright led the league in pts. There's no way MacKinnon who's team barely squeaked into the playoffs and who went cold and shit himself over the final stretch of games should get the nod over McDavid. Kopitar is the #3 most valuable player on that team behind Quick and Doughty.

Hall likely has the strongest case but switch McDavid with Hall on those teams... McDavid would have 120+ pts and Hall would be golfing even earlier and the Oilers would be even worse than they were.

Hart voting continues to be a joke as are the writers.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I'm just surprised that every Hart Trophy hasn't been awarded to a Maple Leaf the past 20 years. The year that Matthews finished top 10 in scoring he's going to win the Hart in a landslide.

Reactions: TB12

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
I'm just surprised that every Hart Trophy hasn't been awarded to a Maple Leaf the past 20 years. The year that Matthews finished top 10 in scoring he's going to win the Hart in a landslide.
He got 3rd place votes last year total joke. And why they have to show who voted for who now a 69 point plyer getting top 3 Hart votes and we know it was O'neil Gino Reda and Dreger

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
I'm also still mad that RNH lost the Calder to "intangibles" Landeskog and Yakupov wasn't even top 3 in Calder voting.
And Hall losing all star team to Ovechkin getting voted on both lines , and they still let these idiots vote ,just tarnishes the awards

Last edited:
Reactions: OilDrop37

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Other than the fact that making the playoffs is not a prerequisite for this award.

It is among the guys that vote on it. Multiple high profile media people have said exactly that. You can't be a league MVP on a non-playoff team.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I think this was a forgone conclusion based on what the writers were saying in the final weeks of the season.

I'm not sure he'll even be in the top 5 in voting tbh.

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
I don't understand the hype around the hart anyways. I guess it's the most prestigious media awarded trophy so they just hype the shit out of it... but 90% of these professional writers have absolutely no idea about anything outside of their coverage area. It's literally a popularity contest among these guys, and whoever picks up momentum in the media, is who they default to.

These days it's all about being edgy and getting views anyways.

These awards should all be voted on by professional scouts, GMs or fellow players, or someone who at least experiences every team in the league in some way.

These writers getting to vote in a meaningful way is as big of a joke as the all star game voting.

Before anyone jumps on me for not having this view last year, it's because I never paid any attention to trophies and had no idea some of these trophies are voted on by people who aren't even employed by the NHL, and whos coverage usually falls to one team.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
Just shows how much writers are idiots , how can the players value McDavid as a top 3 in league but writers who many don't play the game do not. Time to take this right away from these idiots .

will you (and the rest losing their heads) apologize for your opinion of the hockey writers if McDavid doesn't win the Lindsay? if they players say he wasn't the best this year, then that's that.

Hall was more valuable this past season to his team than McDavid was.

I'm sure Mcdvivd was top 5 on 95% of the votes, but I can't blame them for putting hall and McKinnon above McDavid on their ballots.
let's save the ranting until we see the ballots. for all you know mcdavid was 1 point away from top 3 and being a finalist.

I'll be ok with the results if mcdavid was top 5.
bunch of babies around here.

Reactions: McCupofOil

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
from what i heard wyhslynski really forced that idea that non playoff teams couldn't be in the hart convo this year.

which is fine.

but the year of parity seems like a bad year to bring hat up, imo.

and for mcdavid.....a guy who already got robbed of the calder.....i mean.....yeah you can give the award based on the season.....thats the point.....but its kind of meaningless if it doesnt stand up to scrutiny over time.

I think fans want the awards to reflect the history of the league moreso than flavor jounralists want to give certain players over others for political reasons.

Reactions: Night Witch

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
Let's all be honest here. The Hart trophy should be called the "dumb unathletic jock sniffers have their say award." When was the last time you heard Mark Spector, Bob McKenzie, or Frank Sarevalli analyze an actual hockey play? I rest my case.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
from what i heard wyhslynski really forced that idea that non playoff teams couldn't be in the hart convo this year.

which is fine.

but the year of parity seems like a bad year to bring hat up, imo.

and for mcdavid.....a guy who already got robbed of the calder.....i mean.....yeah you can give the award based on the season.....thats the point.....but its kind of meaningless if it doesnt stand up to scrutiny over time.

I think fans want the awards to reflect the history of the league moreso than flavor jounralists want to give certain players over others for political reasons.

Wyshinski is the absolute worst piece of garbage other than Ken Campbell. He has a hate on for the Oilers and loves his Devils so naturally he would beat the drum for the playoff narrative. All the teams of the Hart nominees were WC teams, Hall won 1 game, Mackinnon 2 and Kopitar zero so I guess that makes MacKinnon the Hart winner.

Reactions: OilDrop37

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
There have been past hart winners that didn't make the playoffs. It is only recently that writers have included that the player has to make the playoffs to be nominated. Which is obviously not in the requirements in the description for the Hart.
Mcdavid should of least got a nod. There is no player more valuable to their team then Mcdavid is to the oilers right now.

Reactions: nexttothemoon

StupidGenius

Apr 1, 2013
There have been past hart winners that didn't make the playoffs. It is only recently that writers have included that the player has to make the playoffs to be nominated. Which is obviously not in the requirements in the description for the Hart.
Mcdavid should of least got a nod. There is no player more valuable to their team then Mcdavid is to the oilers right now.

Do you consider 30 years to be recent? That's how long it's been since a player won it while missing the playoffs. It's been this way for longer than most of us have been watching hockey. While I don't agree with it, this isn't a new development.

If you reversed Hall and McDavid's individual and team's seasons, I'm not certain many here would be complaining about Hall being snubbed.

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
Do you consider 30 years to be recent? That's how long it's been since a player won it while missing the playoffs. It's been this way for longer than most of us have been watching hockey. While I don't agree with it, this isn't a new development.

If you reversed Hall and McDavid's individual and team's seasons, I'm not certain many here would be complaining about Hall being snubbed.

If Hall had 108 points on his final elc year and didn't make the playoffs. I would defintely want Hall a nod for Hart.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I think this was a forgone conclusion based on what the writers were saying in the final weeks of the season.

I'm not sure he'll even be in the top 5 in voting tbh.
Someone was saying on the radio he was 5th.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Grand total of 3 playoff wins among the 3 finalists.

It's a regular season award.

I realize that I'm arguing with a bunch of Oiler fans about this so there is some clear bias at play but Hall and MacKinnon were just as valuable to their teams THIS season as McDavid was and with all else being fairly equal (which it was), you've gotta give the nod to the players who led their team to the playoffs IMO. I'd add Giroux in there as well.

McDavid is obviously the best player but this isn't "best player award". It's not like McDavid played with bums either, he played with Draisaitl most of the season at even strength and on the PP.

Also, who cares? McDavid is the best player in the league and will win plenty of awards in the coming years (hopefully some team accomplishments added in) so why does it matter if he didn't get voted top 3 for the Hart in probably the most forgettable season in Oilers history.

Last edited:
Reactions: perseus

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
My last point on this Switch Hall to Oilers remove McDavid , do the Oilers make playoffs this year ? Add Mackinnon to the Oilers remove McDavid , dothe Oilers make playoffs this year , repeat this with Kopitar . Now remove all those 3 players from their playoff team Add McDavid do those teams still make playoffs ? no matter how you play it Oilers still miss Kings Devils and AVS all still make it , just shows how dumb this magical playoff cut is . Please NHL take the voting away from writers,

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Avs ALMOST didn't make the playoffs... they would have made it EASILY with McDavid over MacKinnon... especially uniting Barrie and Rantanen with McDavid on the PP.

Jersey only squeaked in by 1 point as well... they would have made it much more easily with McDavid over Hall on their team.

Even the Kings only made it by 4 pts. McDavid would have easily made that margin wider if he was on a team with Quick in net and Doughty on the back end.

Point shares stats:

2017-18 NHL Leaders | Hockey-Reference.com

McDavid 13.1 on a team with 77.6 point shares = 16.9 % share
Malkin 12.4 on a team with 97.4 point shares = 12.7 % share
MacKinnon 12.2 on a team with 98.4 point shares = 12.4 % share
Hall 12.2 on a team with 90.2 point shares = 13.5% share
Giroux 11.8
W. Karlsson 11.8
Doughty 11.7
Kucherov 11.6
Ovechkin 11.2
Hedman 11.0
Marchand 11.0
Kopitar 11.0

McDavid is the clear winner both in raw point shares and in % of team point shares. He also outright led the league is ES strength points (by a very wide margin) and in overall pts as well.

There is literally ZERO argument for anyone other than McDavid for the Hart and Lindsay unless someone is being biased, myopic and spiteful (which is exactly what many/most of the writers are)... so yes the idiotic voting results are in line with that idiotic line of thinking as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad