McDavid or Matthews

Status
Not open for further replies.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
Thats why the leafs have a better record without him in the lineup, im sure its cause of matthews...

McDavid also puts up better stats offensively and defensively, so how would a worse player, make the oilers contenders?
Haven't you heard of the Jonathan Toews effect? Mr. Intangibles aka JToews aka AustonMatthews. Come on now.

:popcorn:

One thing that is apparent between the two players though. Matthews has always played on great teams. While McDavid has a ton of experience playing for train wreck franchises. I don't know what the deal is.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
Matthews: 50 points

McDavid: 49 assists

Leafs: 6th place in the NHL
Oilers: 27th place in the NHL

You guys have the better player but we're more than happy with what we've got going! Your idiot GM put all his eggs in the McDavid basket. Our GM thankfully doesn't have that luxury.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
In this thread: Matthews is useless because the leafs have a winning record without him
In the sabres thread: leafs suck but only look good because they won the lottery

Different excuse, same sad mentality from a fan base desperate to drag others down to their level

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
Thats why the leafs have a better record without him in the lineup, im sure its cause of matthews...

McDavid also puts up better stats offensively and defensively, so how would a worse player, make the oilers contenders?
The Leafs are 7-5-2 without Matthews in the lineup, we are considerably worse with him out lol

edit: I'm not in the Matthews vs McDavid debate at all to clarify, was just reading the thread a bit and just pointing out that you're wrong.

edit 2: 7-5-2 not 6-5-2*

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Haven't you heard of the Jonathan Toews effect? Mr. Intangibles aka JToews aka AustonMatthews. Come on now.

:popcorn:

One thing that is apparent between the two players though. Matthews has always played on great teams. While McDavid has a ton of experience playing for train wreck franchises. I don't know what the deal is.

Matthews just has that “it” quality about him. He refuses to let his team miss the playoffs. He’ll score 40 goals as a rookie if he has to, and play stellar defense and paint a 200 foot canvas 82 times with his 6’3, 216 Ibs frame if that’s what it takes to will his team to the playoffs as a rookie.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Why does he go ahead and let them lose in the playoffs?

He provides his team the chance to do something in the playoffs every year. That’s what’s important. Not every franchise player can do even that. Can yours?

Given enough time, Matthews will surely refuse to let his team lose in the playoffs too.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
He provides his team the chance to do something in the playoffs every year. That’s what’s important. Not every franchise player can do even that. Can yours?

Given enough time, Matthews will surely refuse to let his team lose in the playoffs too.

Has any superstar player in the history of the NHL led their team to the Stanley Cup in their rookie season?

Quiet Jack

Mar 24, 2017

If he has that IT factor can't help just make sure the team wins? Or does he just care about making the playoffs?

Color me confused

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Has any superstar player in the history of the NHL led their team to the Stanley Cup in their rookie season?

Not that I’m aware of. But given enough kicks at the can, I wouldn’t be surprised to see it happen fairly quickly with Matthews. Incredible that a 20 year old will have willed his team to the NHL playoffs twice. And when he’s 21 in a year, he will have willed his team to the NHL playoffs 3 times! That’s the kind of cub you can count on becoming Lion King.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
Not that I’m aware of. But given enough kicks at the can, I wouldn’t be surprised to see it happen fairly quickly. Incredible that a 20 year old will have willed his team to the NHL playoffs twice. That’s the kind of cub you can count on becoming Lion King.

I think he's already on the verge of becoming a king. Hopefully it's not an LA King. :sarcasm:

The kid is already a rockstar though. How can you not be being the face of the TML. That will probably be McDavids biggest regret at the end of his career. Hopefully he enjoys his pre-retirement years with the Leafs soaking in what's left over at that point. :laugh:

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
It's just ridiculous though.

It's like asking:
If RNH was as good as Auston Matthews, who would you rather have stylistically?
Do you not get how ridiculous that sounds?

While i understand what you mean, the gap between Matthews and RNH is MUCH bigger than the gap between Matthews McDavid. But yeah i don't like this thread any more than you do

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Yes, the Leafs also have a better team. I’ve never disputed that. I’m just saying that Matthews is the type of impact player that would turn the Oilers into contenders the way he did Toronto. That’s not a knock on McDavid. It’s praise for Matthews.
So you are saying if Matthews was an Oiler instead of McDavid the team would be a contender? Really?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad