McDavid or Matthews

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Thats why the leafs have a better record without him in the lineup, im sure its cause of matthews...

McDavid also puts up better stats offensively and defensively, so how would a worse player, make the oilers contenders?
No need to lie. He's got a significantly worse GF% and an identical xGF%. Matthews has a small edge defensively.
Matthews: 50 points

McDavid: 49 assists
Although it's obvious that McDavid is better offensively. McDavid has played 1393 minutes this season, Matthews has played just over 970. Your credibility gets lost when something like that is ignored to make a post like this.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
What is their record with and without him in the lineup (Matthews)?

I couldn’t tell you off the top of my head, but it’s irrelevant. His team has benefited from training with Matthews, practicing with AND against him, strategizing with him. They’ve learned by osmosis from Matthews over two years that they are better players because of Matthews whether or not he misses a few games here and there.

Reactions: Frank Drebin

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Tunnel vision
Recency bias
Inability to perform critical thinking
Short sightedness

Etc.
Awful rich coming from the guy who posted this gem in the Matthews or Laine more goals thread JUST 16 MINUTES AGO.
You do realize that stat lines of 10 goals in 8 games while "only" 7 in the previous 15 games is the trait of an elite goal scorer right?

What a hypocrite lol.

Reactions: King Clancy

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Yeah just last year lol. Before Chia gutted the team.

The fact they were so good and are now so bad is a Shakespearean tragedy. McDavid should have been contending as a cup favorite by now.

I presume the Oilers must now spend next season (McDavid’s 4th year) getting back up to speed and focus on just getting back into the playoffs if lucky, rather than getting to contend. Here’s hoping the rebuild goes well.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
Yeah just last year lol. Before Chia gutted the team.
"gutted". Weren't you all cheering when he dumped Eberle? I didn't know dumping your most hated player was "gutting" the team. Who else did they lose this season from last?

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
I give the benefit of the doubt to the reigning hart winner, but what if both players end up 100+ point players, who would you want on your team, as in playing style etc.

Remember, Mcdavid is number 1 right now, its only if both end up with similar production. So I am talking contracts, your team needs, cycle game, playoff potential, drawing a defence in etc. Who would lead a team or affect a game more while still having similar production.
McDavid because Matthews will never reach 100 pts.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
On a per minute basis Matthews ranks up near the top of the league in production. What happens when his ice-time matches other star forwards and he's not injured?

M C D A V I D

Feb 12, 2018
Is it also hilarious that McDavid is 4th in the league in PPG this year? Does MacK being at 1.35 vs McDavid at 1.22 PPG make MacK a generational player too?
Equating 4th in the league in PPG after being 1st last year and 4th in his rookie year to never being above 30th..

Bruh.

Lmao.

He might end up being a top 30 forward next year though?

Reactions: Senor Catface

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Points are not a linear function of TOI. This should be obvious but it seems like it is not.
When the gap is as big as it is between Matthews and the other star forwards in the game, it counts for something. Seriously like if he wasn't being outproduced with how little he actually plays relatively god help the league when he does start getting those minutes.

Quiet Jack

Mar 24, 2017
On a per minute basis Matthews ranks up near the top of the league in production. What happens when his ice-time matches other star forwards and he's not injured?
I'm looking at P/60 and he appears to be 27th when you subtract the guys that have barely played.

Am I looking at the wrong stat? Honest question.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
When the gap is as big as it is between Matthews and the other star forwards in the game, it counts for something. Seriously like if he wasn't being outproduced with how little he actually plays relatively god help the league when he does start getting those minutes.

I am a big supporter of Matthews despite not being a Leaf Fan in any respect. The kid is an amazing talent. But the difference right now between him and McDavid is not just minutes played. Right now McDavid is simply the better player. Interestingly enough though, both players have extremely low pp points relative to their totals.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
I am a big supporter of Matthews despite not being a Leaf Fan in any respect. The kid is an amazing talent. But the difference right now between him and McDavid is not just minutes played. Right now McDavid is simply the better player. Interestingly enough though, both players have extremely low pp points relative to their totals.
Yes I've even acknowledged that the gap between them offensively is rather big. I'm just trying to state that Matthews is one of the league's elite offensively though.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
Doesn't Matthews line have the beset 5 on 5 stats in the league?

Ah now we’re looking at lines, not the invidual player. Does that mean you can’t use the Zach Hyman excuse?

Let’s look at the players: McDavid has 61 ESP, which is first in the league. Matthews is 23rd with 43.

So no, Matthews isn’t the better 5v5 producer.

What other hot takes are you going to dish?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad