McDavid or Matthews

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbobell98

Dec 14, 2017
Ice time is not a very good way to see things. Some players play on the pk some don't. There are reasons why certain players play more than others.

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010
Let's see, if they both end up with the same amount of points, would you still take the better player every time??? lolZZ

Rentsi

Jan 15, 2014
Can anyone tell who was the leading 5vs5 scorer before last season without checking? Why is it now the most important stat in the nhl? Certain Leafs fans post it many times a day under different topics. Should it be more valuable than a pp goal? Isn't Matthews tied with Komarov in pp goals this season eventhough Komarovs pp/toi seems to be 0:39 and Matthews plays well over 2 minutes per game?

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
LOL factor in minutes played and GA. And Im the one with hot takes....hahahahah

I’m the one who actually used stats to support the argument.

You said Matthews was a superior 5v5 player, I provided stats that showed otherwise.

Meanwhile you’re going to use plus minus right? Or am I expecting too much?

I agree, you’re the one with the laughable hot takes. It’s painful. At some point you would figure it out when to stop but here we are.

BTW, McDavid has a superior P/60 too.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
I’m the one who actually used stats to support the argument.

You said Matthews was a superior 5v5 player, I provided stats that showed otherwise.

Meanwhile you’re going to use plus minus right? Or am I expecting too much?

I agree, you’re the one with the laughable hot takes. It’s painful. At some point you would figure it out when to stop but here we are.

BTW, McDavid has a superior P/60 too.
half assed stats.

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
Well, McDavid might amass more assist than Matthews gets points again this year- so pretty easy decision for me.

And for the point per game advocates, you can’t redeem points in games in which you don’t play in.

Both great players, I’ll give Matthews the edge in career longevity and scoring touch though, just from my evidenceless opinion that players that rely on speed will have their game leave them faster.

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
Holy f*** this thing is still open? Matthews hasn't even hit 70pts yet or PPG. Since Matthews entered the league:

McDavid: 147 GP, 60G+119A = 179pts, 0.41 GPG, 1.22 PPG

Matthews: 135 GP, 68G+51A = 119pts, 0.50 GPG, 0.88 PPG

When one guy has the same amount of assists as the other guy has pts.. Bring any ES, line mates, primary, secondary, coaching, etc argument you want, it doesn't make any difference.. That's a difference of 28pts over 82 games. The difference between Kucherov (1st) and Schenn (39th) in pts this season.. In other words, these 2 players don't belong in the same tier. Matthews is a better goal scorer, but his overall pt production is very poor. McDavid is way better.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
The only thing I will say is I do believe the obvious gap in the regular season will be closer, but not necessarily closed, in the playoffs as I think Matthews' strengths are a better fit for playoff hockey. The playoffs are where there should not be any excuses about ES vs. PP scoring, TOI, linemates etc... You either perform or you don't.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Matthews is too injury prone to be best at anything.

he played 82 games last year

one year where a guy misses 15 games doesnt make one injury prone, especially after he played every single game the season before. get out of here with that nonsense

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Matthews is maybe 5th or 6th best under 24 years old center in the NHL so this topic is ridicolous.

absolutely false

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/who-is-the-10th-best-centre.2445949/

that had Mcdavid, Mackinnon then Matthews.

the only one who is even in that tier is Barkov. If you are insinuating Eichel, Barzal or both are better then it is just dumb

Matthews: 1st in ES goals since he entered the league. no, he isn't the 5th or 6th best young center. SMH
43g/77pt/+36 pace this year

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Matthews teams have made the playoffs 100% of the time
McDavids 33%

Just sayin'!

varano

Jun 27, 2013
They play in way different systems.

If matthews was under the same coaching system of "Go do whatever the f*** you want as long as you put up points" , this would be a very even point total.

Most of the leaf prospects are being taught defence first or get demoted to the 4th line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad