McDavid or Matthews

Status
Not open for further replies.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
And adding more scoring would hurt how?

Because the Leafs have tried all season to play a more defensive minded game (they haven't quite succeeded at it, lol)? If we were going run and gun, believe me, Auston Matthews will do just as good as Connor McDavid would. But it wouldn't translate to more wins.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Switch Matthews and Mcdavid right now and the Leafs are considered a cup contender.

Shut it down.

No question IMO. Pittsburgh or Tampa would want no part of that.

Marleau McDavid Nylander
JVR Kadri Marner

Would be a nightmare to have to defend.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
Because the Leafs have tried all season to play a more defensive minded game (they haven't quite succeeded at it, lol)? If we were going run and gun, believe me, Auston Matthews will do just as good as Connor McDavid would. But it wouldn't translate to more wins.

Yeah the other team being hemmed in their own zone for minutes at a time would hurt the leafs chances at those beautiful 2-1 shut em down defense wizard type games that the leafs excel at because of Matthews. Give him the Selke right now.

Mcdavid is not a soviet era forward ALA Bure who does not know what defense is. Most modern NHLers are good to great at an all around game. This is not 1990. Why would adding a speedy talented two way forward all of a sudden turn the leafs into a run and gun team with the same coach and same strategy? Go home you're drunk.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Pretty sure he thought this was a Matthew/Laine thread

There are so many Matthews threads at this point its a pretty understandable mistake
Seems like he's more popular when he's injured than when he isn't... Atleast an easier target to bump threads about.

Though this topic has always been McDavid and always will be. Why is a habs fan of all fans bumping this? Pretty boring season eh?

Reactions: ThewThew

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Matthews wouldn't and hasn't shown he can keep up with mcdavid.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Main advantage Matthews had was his goal scoring gap, but that's starting to tighten.

Matthews is playing at a 43 goal pace, but McDavid is at a 38 goal pace with a large disparity in assists otherwise obviously.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
Yeah the other team being hemmed in their own zone for minutes at a time would hurt the leafs chances at those beautiful 2-1 shut em down defense wizard type games that the leafs excel at because of Matthews. Give him the Selke right now.

Mcdavid is not a soviet era forward ALA Bure who does not know what defense is. Most modern NHLers are good to great at an all around game. This is not 1990, wake up. Why would adding a speedy talented two way forward all of a sudden turn the leafs into a run and gun team with the same coach and same strategy? Go home you're drunk.

The Leafs problem isn't offense. It's their ability to play a tight solid defensive game. I would take a Patrice Bergeron over McDavid 100 times out of 100. He would do more good for us than McDavid would. If you can't understand that, I can't help you. Oh and I along with rest of Leafs nation would take a D-man or two before either. Since that directly helps combat the problem.

McDavid is on pace for another 90-100 point season this year and that's clearly not helping the Oilers get anywhere. Also the Oilers are on pace to finish with 16 less goals than last year. Are you telling me it's that 16 goal offensive difference as a team that's the difference between finishing with 103 points and finishing in the lottery?

It's nice when you have an all world player who can win scoring titles. Leafs fans don't give a crap about that. We want a cup. McDavid puts us no closer to it by himself than Matthews does at the moment. Our glaring needs are on the defensive end not offense.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Matthews is also playing for a team that will be in the playoffs for all the years he's been in the NHL. I don't think he's trying to keep up with McDavid. :)

Matthews has the kind of impact where he would turn the Oilers into a contender the way he has Toronto. All of Chiarelli’s moves would look great on a Matthews-led Oilers.

Size, IQ, position, skills... he’s the perfect hockey player, and it shows in team results.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
The Leafs problem isn't offense. It's their ability to play a tight solid defensive game. I would take a Patrice Bergeron over McDavid 100 times out of 100. He would do more good for us than McDavid would. If you can't understand that, I can't help you.

You would get fired 100 out of 100 times. Did you attend the Milbury school of managing?

You don't take the player thats better defensively over the player that is Crosby level good offensively, and getting better and better defensively. Mcdavid is not a disaster defensively and has an active stick and uses his speed and smarts to intimidate and effect the way defenders are positioned on the ice because a breakaway is almost always imminent.

If the offensive gap between him and Bergeron were close than you take him, no arguments there.

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
Statistics do not support Matthews playing a more defensive style of hockey than McDavid.

xGA/60
Matthews 2.72
mcDavid 2.58

xGF/60
Matthews 3.09
McDavid 3.50

McDavid's stats at 5vs5 are something else.

Reactions: snipes

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Matthews has the kind of impact where he would turn the Oilers into a contender the way he has Toronto. All of Chiarelli’s moves would look great on a Matthews-led Oilers.

Size, IQ, position, skills... he’s the perfect hockey player, and it shows in team results.

The Leafs have a winning record without Matthews ... the Oilers without McDavid ... lol. Would be the worst team in the league.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
You would get fired 100 out of 100 times. Did you attend the Milbury school of managing?

You don't take the player thats better defensively over the player that is Crosby level good offensively, and getting better and better defensively. Mcdavid is not a disaster defensively and has an active stick and uses his speed and smarts to intimidate and effect the way defenders are positioned on the ice because a breakaway is almost always imminent.

If the offensive gap between him and Bergeron were close than you take him, no arguments there.

Having Bergeron as the Leafs #2 C with Matthews makes the Leafs a much better team than having McDavid as the #1 guy without Matthews. If you can't see that, I can't help you. We don't care about the fancy scoring awards. McDavid can go bask on his individual awards when he's golfing in April.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
The Leafs have a winning record without Matthews ... the Oilers without McDavid ... lol. Would be the worst team in the league.
The Oilers with McDavid are borderline the worst team in the league as is. As good as the guy was last year, their real MVP was Talbot. He has played like hot shit this year and it's led to the Oilers demise.

Do people remember the early days of the Ilya Kovalchuk led Atlanta thrashers? All the talent in the world on that team (top end) but 0 D and mediocre goal tending at best. That team is what the current Oilers remind me of right now.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto

Leafs’ players benefitted from influence of Matthews the past two years. Matthews would turn the Oilers into instant contenders like he had in Toronto. Proof is in the results.

Oilers already are the worst team in the league...

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Leafs’ players benefitted from influence of Matthews the past two years. Matthews would turn the Oilers into instant contenders like he had in Toronto. Proof is in the results.

Or Matthews simply has a better team overall to play with. It can't just be that simple? Babcock is also a better coach than McLellan, that makes a large difference in team culture/confidence.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010

LOL, so a rookie is responsible for the teams current turn around? Not the staff, the other players, the coach, etc. But one single player who does not even finish top 20 in scoring is the catalyst?

Matthews is not that good or enough of a game breaker to justify this kind of insane post.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Or Matthews simply has a better team overall to play with. It can't just be that simple? Babcock is also a better coach than McLellan, that makes a large difference in team culture/confidence.

Yes, the Leafs also have a better team. I’ve never disputed that. I’m just saying that Matthews is the type of impact player that would turn the Oilers into contenders the way he did Toronto. That’s not a knock on McDavid. It’s praise for Matthews.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Yes, the Leafs also have a better team. I’ve never disputed that. I’m just saying that Matthews is the type of impact player that would turn the Oilers into contenders the way he did Toronto. That’s not a knock on McDavid. It’s praise for Matthews.
Thats why the leafs have a better record without him in the lineup, im sure its cause of matthews...

McDavid also puts up better stats offensively and defensively, so how would a worse player, make the oilers contenders?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad