Pre-Game Talk: McDavid-less Oilers vs Black Hawks looks ugly

Status
Not open for further replies.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Neal is day to day and Klef and McDavid are game time decisions.
I dont think that there is cause for worry here.

I am willing to bet that there isnt a team in the NHL that doesnt have some players a little banged up and also an injury or 2.

It’s starting to sound like Neal has more to his ankle issue. If it’s the dreaded high ankle sprain this could nag him the rest of the season.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Time for a trade. :D

Seriously with Neal being a question mark Holland has to bring in another top 6 forward.
This might actually be good news.

I think Holland is getting his ducks in a row contract wise with Kassian and Nurse, perhaps Archibald and Sheahan as well so he knows what he has to spend next year now. Allows him to go after a player with term (Tatar?) or an RFA entering his 3rd contract (AA?).

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
McDavid will play next game, he did practice today although it was a short practice(and I think he should not have skated today). Neal on the other hand is not so great right now. If McD and Klefbom are out we could be in tough. At least we have RNH and Drai to cover our top six but there will be pretty limitied help there:

???/Drai/Yammo
???/RNH/Kassian

Who knows who gets those two spots, I hope it is not Gagner TBH.
And I know they are not totally related but McD gets hurt a lot less when there is a tough guy on his line.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Neal has missed an average of ~10 games per year over the last 7 seasons and isn't getting any younger so it's not surprising that he has injury issues every year.

Reactions: Fixxer

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
If Mcdavid is out for a bunch of games then Holland has to trade for a top 6 winger or a UFA center like Thornton. They'll also have to split up Draisaitl and RNH. If Neal is back and Mcdavid is out I'd have the roster look like this vrs Chicago;

Neal-Draisaitl-Yamamoto
Gagner-RNH-Kassian
Khaira-Sheahan-Archibald
Chaisson-Haas-Russel

If Neal is out then I'd put Chaisson in his place and Cave on the 4th line.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
McDavid will play next game, he did practice today although it was a short practice(and I think he should not have skated today). Neal on the other hand is not so great right now. If McD and Klefbom are out we could be in tough. At least we have RNH and Drai to cover our top six but there will be pretty limitied help there:

???/Drai/Yammo
???/RNH/Kassian

Who knows who gets those two spots, I hope it is not Gagner TBH.
And I know they are not totally related but McD gets hurt a lot less when there is a tough guy on his line.

Kassians presence wouldnt have helped McDavid at all.
Sometimes things just happen.

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
Kassians presence wouldnt have helped McDavid at all.
Sometimes things just happen.

I agree there, it was just a weird thing I notice although last game of the year last year Kneeordano took him out while Kassian was on the ice so my whole theory is out the window.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Getzlaf was interviewed last week and said he does not want to be traded.

Not surprising to hear. I saw an interview with him a few years back and he was pretty stoked about being able to drive his Ferrari to the rink, go to the beach almost every week and wear shorts everyday.
He seems to really like the lifestyle in Cali....who could blame him.

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
bd0bdc28-d941-46d0-9f89-04536787167d-gif.318957

Sounds like it’s maintenance so fingers crossed. Also still no Neal.

RNH-Draisaitl-Yamamoto
Gagner-Haas-Chiasson
Archibald-Sheahan-Kassian
Khaira-Cave-P.Russell

Klefbom Larsson
Nurse Bear
Jones Benning

Smith

One first line and three 4th lines.....We can take ‘em!
Even if I hit he panic button, nothing happens..... :confused: lol

Reactions: 48g90a138pts

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
If Mcdavid is out for a bunch of games then Holland has to trade for a top 6 winger or a UFA center like Thornton. They'll also have to split up Draisaitl and RNH. If Neal is back and Mcdavid is out I'd have the roster look like this vrs Chicago;

Neal-Draisaitl-Yamamoto
Gagner-RNH-Kassian
Khaira-Sheahan-Archibald
Chaisson-Haas-Russel

If Neal is out then I'd put Chaisson in his place and Cave on the 4th line.

Gagner is not good enough IMO but I get why you put him there. Myself I would rather see some speed up there like maybe Haas or something? I dunno, we already have pretty limited depth....how good would Strome look about now? Stupid Chia.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I agree there, it was just a weird thing I notice although last game of the year last year Kneeordano took him out while Kassian was on the ice so my whole theory is out the window.

I do agree with you though that Kassian should be on McDavids line for the time being.
Its been a good fit and I like having some speed/toughness there.

Last edited:

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Well you gotta have the "8 pt Blackhawks Killer" on the 1st line vs Chicago... but not sure how well the rest of the lineup will play after the up and down stretch we've seen recently.

YakDavid

Dec 12, 2010
I guess it is tough to gauge the extent of the injury since how they handled the last one but I feel it is a charlie horse/bruised knee. He was able to play through it but it swelled up after the game and they are taking it day by day

Reactions: Mav3rick07
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad