McDavid in the 80s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Future GOAT

Apr 4, 2017
Garbage. McD is about 5% better than the next guys. Gretzky was 80% better.

He'd be fighting guys like Yzerman for 3rd in scoring.
I doubt it would even be a fight. Like another poster posted, McDavid most likely sits alone in the gap between Gretzky/Lemieux and everyone else If he's not producing as well as those two.

Last edited:

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
150+ goals, 200+ assists, 350+ points every season in the 80’s. He would get breakaways at will and would easily finish with that horrendous goaltending.

Reactions: authentic

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005
You drop current McDavid with current equipment straight into the 80's he'd make a mockery of the league. In a league where lots of guys couldn't skate you put one of the best skaters going in there and he'd clown people. I mean he still leaves good skating defensemen in his dust now, imagine cement footed guys with old shitty skates?

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
He realizes that he didn't bring enough hockey sticks with him in the teleporter so when he runs out, he can no longer play hockey. Fortunately, he also realizes he is from the future and invests his entire contract in Apple stock. Then He proceeds to invent the internet, Amazon, and Facebook. Then He buys the NHL and names all the trophies the Connor McDavid AINEC trophy fully cementing his legacy with the league.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
He realizes that he didn't bring enough hockey sticks with him in the teleporter so when he runs out, he can no longer play hockey. Fortunately, he also realizes he is from the future and invests his entire contract in Apple stock. Then He proceeds to invent the internet, Amazon, and Facebook. Then He buys the NHL and names all the trophies the Connor McDavid AINEC trophy fully cementing his legacy with the league.

Should have gone further back for with his Sports Almanac.

Yes. You are right. He's not betrer than Gretzky ever was, he is much MUCH better.

Ok m8, settle down...well past your internet curfew.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
After averaging 7 goals and 4 assists per game in the preseason while making players look like pylons and getting breakaways at will, the NHL would probably assassinate him for making a mockery of the league.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
After averaging 7 goals and 4 assists per game in the preseason while making players look like pylons and getting breakaways at will, the NHL would probably assassinate him for making a mockery of the league.
He would be immediately protected. He could have two Semenkos on a line and still put up 250+ points a season.

Reactions: crossbownerf

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
I don't even know what that means.

Perhaps since I'm an adult.

Are you? If so, who post such a childish comment?
The sports almanac is a reference to Biff in "back to the future", which McDavid will still be able to see in the theatre in the 80s.

Reactions: North Cole

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
When analyzing greatness you have to compare players to their peers or it’s just silly lol. Gretzky was much better than his peers than McDavid currently is over his peers, that’s what makes Gretzky the greatest. However if you hypothetically gave a rating of 100 being the best and 1 the worst, Gretzky would be 79 and his peers would average around 45 in today’s NHL. Contrast that with McDavid at 95 with the average NHLer today at 80, McDavid would definitely make a mockery of the league in the 80’s.

Last edited:

MtlBoxFan

Jun 19, 2014
Scores 80 goals in season 1, 98 goals season 2, the Kevin Stevens ends his career with a head shot.

MtlBoxFan

Jun 19, 2014
150+ goals, 200+ assists, 350+ points every season in the 80’s. He would get breakaways at will and would easily finish with that horrendous goaltending.
Actually, they'd probably just hack away at him leading to an early retirement.

CMDEADLY

Jun 6, 2014

Great listen, however around 3:30 he starts talking about modern issues in the game and his only issue is that it's a system game now, and he might be overlooked or not enough of a system player to even get to the NHL because he's a creative first player.

Gretzky was the best obviously, however acting like he wasn't the best player for how the game was played at the time is silly.

Mcdavid in the 80's would have learned that creativity.

Reactions: Future GOAT

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Teleport present day McDavid back to 1980. He still has his modern equipment and training. How does his career unfold?
Edmonton news outlet whined about the hacking and whacking McDavid was going through.

If you weren't old enough to watch games in the 80's, whatever magical stats you come up with, you'll need to understand, that hacking and whacking was 100x worse.

Reactions: 71Malkin71

CMDEADLY

Jun 6, 2014
Much has been written about Gretzky's highly developed hockey instincts, but he once explained that what appeared to be instinct was, in large part, the effect of his relentless study and practice of the game, in co-operation with his coaches. As a result, he developed a deep understanding of its shifting patterns and dynamics. Peter Gzowski says that the best of the best athletes in all sports understand the game so well, and in such detail, that they can instantly recognize and capitalize upon emerging patterns of play. Analyzing Gretzky's hockey skills, he says, "What we take to be creative genius is in fact a reaction to a situation that he has stored in his brain as deeply and firmly as his own phone number." Gzowski presented this theory to Gretzky, and he fully agreed. "Absolutely", Gretzky said. "That's a hundred percent right. It's all practice. I got it from my Dad. Nine out of ten people think it's instinct, and it isn't. Nobody would ever say a doctor had learned his profession by instinct; yet in my own way I've put in almost as much time studying hockey as a medical student puts in studying medicine."[162]

A response to anyone that says it can't be taught.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I doubt it would even be a fight. Like another poster posted, McDavid most likely sits alone in the gap between Gretzky/Lemieux and everyone else If he's not producing as well as those two.
Doubt all you like. There is nothing to suggest McDavid has a separation from his peers like those two did. It's hard to say really how his style would have impacted in that time but to suggest a guy who is a little better than the rest of his league is equal to two guys who were head and shoulders above the league is probably generous.

I stand by the fighting for #3 statement. Of course there I no right answer.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Much has been written about Gretzky's highly developed hockey instincts, but he once explained that what appeared to be instinct was, in large part, the effect of his relentless study and practice of the game, in co-operation with his coaches. As a result, he developed a deep understanding of its shifting patterns and dynamics. Peter Gzowski says that the best of the best athletes in all sports understand the game so well, and in such detail, that they can instantly recognize and capitalize upon emerging patterns of play. Analyzing Gretzky's hockey skills, he says, "What we take to be creative genius is in fact a reaction to a situation that he has stored in his brain as deeply and firmly as his own phone number." Gzowski presented this theory to Gretzky, and he fully agreed. "Absolutely", Gretzky said. "That's a hundred percent right. It's all practice. I got it from my Dad. Nine out of ten people think it's instinct, and it isn't. Nobody would ever say a doctor had learned his profession by instinct; yet in my own way I've put in almost as much time studying hockey as a medical student puts in studying medicine."[162]

A response to anyone that says it can't be taught.

Comparing a sport to a science is misguided when it is more of an art for the best of the best. if it could be taught there would not only be one 99.

It may be teachable but much like art, I can go to art school, it doesn't make me Da Vinci.

NHL WAR

Sep 29, 2018
Edmonton news outlet whined about the hacking and whacking McDavid was going through.

If you weren't old enough to watch games in the 80's, whatever magical stats you come up with, you'll need to understand, that hacking and whacking was 100x worse.

Thats one of the things to consider with this question. Would he have the speed/ shiftiness/ durability to stay healthy in a more infraction lenient league?

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Thats one of the things to consider with this question. Would he have the speed/ shiftiness/ durability to stay healthy in a more infraction lenient league?

McDavid is one of the fastest players in the league, not THE fastest. People tend to forget that, in the 80's, you also had Ducky, Gartner, and countless others that could just flat out fly, also talented players, but they also had to endure that crap too. Mario Lemieux is a perfect example of it, because of his size, people thought he should take care of the crap he endured, but you can't magically make a player into tough guy like that.

I think McDavid would put up some crazy numbers, but he would never top the numbers guys like Mario, Wayne, etc did.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
I would think he could get over 100 goals, mainly due to equipment. But not 200 points, since he's not as good of a playmaker. He'd have to rely purely on speed and shooting ability advantages from the equipment. I'd say something like 105G + 50A = 155pts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad