McDavid in the 80s

Status
Not open for further replies.

CMDEADLY

Jun 6, 2014
McDavid is one of the fastest players in the league, not THE fastest. People tend to forget that, in the 80's, you also had Ducky, Gartner, and countless others that could just flat out fly, also talented players, but they also had to endure that crap too. Mario Lemieux is a perfect example of it, because of his size, people thought he should take care of the crap he endured, but you can't magically make a player into tough guy like that.

I think McDavid would put up some crazy numbers, but he would never top the numbers guys like Mario, Wayne, etc did.

The game has changed, just because it's got less hooking doesn't mean the game is looser, defense had to improve in other aspects when they lost tools. The game is in fact faster and tighter than ever before.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Players have continuously gotten better over time by evolution: increasing number of players playing the game resulting in better competition and development at younger ages; better nutrition, better training, better coaching, better tools and resources, better equipment, etc. McDavid would light the league on fire and put up 175+ goal, 350+ point seasons in the 80s but you have to compare athletes to their peers and McDavid is the best player in the world today by a slight margin but Gretzky\Lemieux were head and shoulders above the rest of the league in their time.

Last edited:
Reactions: sinDer

CMDEADLY

Jun 6, 2014
I would think he could get over 100 goals, mainly due to equipment. But not 200 points, since he's not as good of a playmaker. He'd have to rely purely on speed and shooting ability advantages from the equipment. I'd say something like 105G + 50A = 155pts

Considering Mcdavid has had 70 and 67 assist in the modern NHL in two seasons this is just plain wrong.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Considering Mcdavid has had 70 and 67 assist in the modern NHL in two seasons this is just plain wrong.

Yeah, but he would be playing on a team that severely lacks the types of systems that modern day teams have. He would have to "wing it" more.

cjm502

Bingo Bango!
Jun 22, 2010
Mid Michigan
Again, the only thing delusional is the idea that a slew of current NHL players would be hitting 75 goals and 200 points.

Because again, McDavid isn't THAT far away from the pack.
I absolutely think there are a good amount of players in today's NHL who would outscore Gretzky if they magically teleported to the 80s. I think even Darren freaking Helm could score 50-60+ goals in the 80s, it wouldnt take much effort for him to skate around everyone else on the ice and wrist one past a stand up goalie.

Reactions: Bertuzzzi44

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
All the players playing in the top six of any NHL team in 2038-39 will be better than Crosby or McDavid. There will be a bunch of Crosbys and McDavids in the bottom six battling for roster spots, hustling, fighting, killing penalties and getting waived every other week. And it will be a 64 team league.

But none of the players will be as good as Gretzky. Or possibly one. Maybe.

Amazinmets73

Dec 1, 2015
Yeah he did, but that's not the point. It's not that there weren't players that shot hard back then, but rather it was the exceptional individual that could do it to that degree. Composite sticks have widened the number of players that can generate that type of velocity.

Here's a TED talk discussing the question of are athletes really getting better? It uses sprinting as an example. Bottom line, no they're not. It's the equipment that's gettting better.

Ha, I've seen that presentation and it's chock full of laughable fallacies. I actually responded on YouTube but I'll just copy & paste my comment here.

"I enjoyed the presentation, however his claims on the cycling hour record are inaccurate. The primary factor for the increased hour distance was the advent of EPO and an environment that permitted its unfettered abuse. Note that both the cycling hour record and the mile world record were set the same year; speeds have since decreased in spite of the introduction of more sophisticated technology. The reason for this is endurance athletes have had to curtail or completely cease their use of EPO since the introduction of increasingly efficient testing."

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I absolutely think there are a good amount of players in today's NHL who would outscore Gretzky if they magically teleported to the 80s. I think even Darren freaking Helm could score 50-60+ goals in the 80s, it wouldnt take much effort for him to skate around everyone else on the ice and wrist one past a stand up goalie.
Contrary to opinions in this thread, I don't think speed was invented in 2006.

Asher

Jun 23, 2007
He plays on a line with Gretzky and Kurri, and the three of them embarrass every team they play against.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
The sports almanac is a reference to Biff in "back to the future", which McDavid will still be able to see in the theatre in the 80s.

I think he was confused about the curfew part, which was a shot at him being obviously one of those young lads that thinks 80's hockey is utter junk and therefore players today would decimate players in the past.

I dont know why he was confused, seemed like a straight forward enough sentence. Maybe it was the m8 part.

Then he tried to reverse it on me, but #spellingishard

Ps - he could see Star Wars too... what a time

Nathaniel

Oct 18, 2013
I would think he could get over 100 goals, mainly due to equipment. But not 200 points, since he's not as good of a playmaker. He'd have to rely purely on speed and shooting ability advantages from the equipment. I'd say something like 105G + 50A = 155pts
This by game 40?

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
Ha, I've seen that presentation and it's chock full of laughable fallacies. I actually responded on YouTube but I'll just copy & paste my comment here.

"I enjoyed the presentation, however his claims on the cycling hour record are inaccurate. The primary factor for the increased hour distance was the advent of EPO and an environment that permitted its unfettered abuse. Note that both the cycling hour record and the mile world record were set the same year; speeds have since decreased in spite of the introduction of more sophisticated technology. The reason for this is endurance athletes have had to curtail or completely cease their use of EPO since the introduction of increasingly efficient testing."

OK, but still, isn't that just still a case of technology amplifying performance? Again, it's not athletes becoming more talented. It's just the tools at their disposal, legal or not, that have advanced. And by your own statement, once the advanced technology was removed, the performances dropped back towards previous levels.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
What does Mario Lemieux look like with modern skates and stick in 87’?

100 goals easy?

265 points?

5% increase in production, it’s not magic just slightly lighter and better stick and skates. McDavid would put up 175+ goals, 175+ assists, 350+ points every season in the 80’s. He would get breakaways at will, make players look like pylons, and easily finish with that horrendous goaltending.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Gretz and Lemieux would still outscore him, he'd be third in the pecking order.

Lol no. As much as I love 99 & 66, they would be average in today’s game, however McDavid would be a one man wrecking crew in the 80’s. The game has evolved at a rapid pace.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
5% increase in production, it’s not magic just slightly lighter and better stick and skates. McDavid would put up 175+ goals, 175+ assists, 350+ points every season in the 80’s. He would get breakaways at will, make players look like pylons, and easily finish with that horrendous goaltending.

Sure dude.

I saw broken old fat Mario play next to young Crosby and not look out of place.

If you don’t think young 6’4” 230 lb Mario Lemieux playing in brand new feather light skates and a modern stick he can get a 85 mph wrister off in a split second, wouldn’t be an unbelievable bump, then you really think that only McDavid is some supreme super athlete and his modern training is crazy superior.

Which is pretty silly since we have all seen Jaromir Jagr be a dominant player against this generations stars, and Jagr was great, but he couldn’t hold prime Mario’s jock.

Trust me, as much as you think McDavid would get breakaways at will, Mario would be scoring a wrister a night from anywhere in the ozone.

5% increase. I can see someone has never played with an old school wood stick or skates.pfft

Reactions: TheTang58
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->