McDavid hate rewarded by giraffes. lEafs beat Oilers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
RNH is -8 in his last four games. Are we sure he's a "shut down" center? Who does he "shut down"?

He's a good player don't get me wrong, but I think his defensive game is overrated here big time. He's too soft/weak to be a real lockdown center that would really make other centers sweat too much. Ask Nazem Kadri how "shut down" he felt last night.

KlimasLoveChild

Feb 25, 2012
Looking forward to returning.

:laugh:...knowing the oilers and not wanting to break up the core that's probably the big move. I have tickets for the Sj game but I'm going to take a pass because Mcdavid is out. The sooner he gets back the better. Hopefully we don't see jerseys on the ice before that time comes.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Wow...trying to justify an RNH trade on plus/minus over a 4 game sample size.
Trading RNH so that the top 2 centres are collectively under 100 games of NHL experience?

The hilarity never seems to end around here.

Time for me to give HF a break. :shakehead

rosemount289

Feb 12, 2008
Have not read all............???

Have not read all posts..........but the Oilers sure looked out of gas.......aside from not looking good last night against the Leafs they had no energy nor any compete level.

But remember this game was the last game of a four game road trip.

I know this should be no excuse but the Oilers did look tired.

Last edited:

KlimasLoveChild

Feb 25, 2012
Have not read all posts..........but the Oilers sure looked out of gas.......aside from not looking good last night against the Leafs they had no energy nor any compete level.

I'm looking forward to the 'first game after a long road trip' line from Stauf when they lose to Boston....:laugh:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

They look tired/gassed for a good 30-40 games a season. What exactly do they have to be tired about anyway? It's not like any of them have been playing in the playoffs deep into May/June or anything like that.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
McLellan has been ******** on Pouliot - Nuge - Eberle in the media pretty regularly on this roadtrip (without naming their names specifically). Will they respond at all? Or are they just dogmeat now? Is there a better / different way to go about this or is this it?

Psychoil

Mar 10, 2011
tonight was the night that sent me back into apathy. Call me when mcdavid comes back. I can't watch this team and be ok with the world, it's simply wrong. No team can lose this much over a ****ing decade. I don't know when it'll end, but at this point, it seems like it will never end

FiveFourteenSixOne

5-14-6-1
Sponsor
Jan 28, 2006
Edmonton
tonight was the night that sent me back into apathy. Call me when mcdavid comes back. I can't watch this team and be ok with the world, it's simply wrong. No team can lose this much over a ****ing decade. I don't know when it'll end, but at this point, it seems like it will never end

Last game was the one for me.

I have a feeling this road trip was the straw that broke the camel's back for A LOT of Oilers fans.

Dec. 1 and I've already given up on them. LOL

6 freaking months of regular season hockey to play and they are done. What in the ever living **** is going on? Gagner's rookie season was the last time the Oiler's had a sniff of playoff action in March/April. Every year since then they've been out of it before the goddamn new year. There aren't enough adjectives to describe the amount of vitriol I feel for this organization.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
This reminds of trying to break a long standing habit....the default is to slip back to what you know regardless of how destructive it has been.

In the case of the Oilers losing is what they know best. Changing that is going to be really messy and very uncomfortable.
Coaching is very important and when you are dealing with multiple personalities that all have (unknowingly) embraced losing it doesnt change quickly.

Agreed but it really pisses me off that they aren't willing to put in what it takes to get there.

Trading RNH so that the top 2 centres are collectively under 100 games of NHL experience?

RNH is playing like crap right now, but people have short memories. Earlier in the season he was playing much better, then came the illness. He was also coming off of a broken foot in the offseason. He is clearly not himself. So as a team we have one of two choices, deal him while he is struggling or keep the 22 year old center and work with him to get back to the level of play that he was at late last season and get him beyond that point.

The first thing that I'd like to see if Pouliot off that line. Move Korpi there and keep him there for 2-3 games.

I still think that we can win with RNH (not the way that hes been playing of late). Eberle on the other hand kind of is what he is at this point, when he's on he's a ppg guy, when he's not he's a liability

The Bored Man

5-14-6-1
Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton
Last game was the one for me.

I have a feeling this road trip was the straw that broke the camel's back for A LOT of Oilers fans.

Dec. 1 and I've already given up on them. LOL

6 freaking months of regular season hockey to play and they are done. What in the ever living **** is going on? Gagner's rookie season was the last time the Oiler's had a sniff of playoff action in March/April. Every year since then they've been out of it before the goddamn new year. There aren't enough adjectives to describe the amount of vitriol I feel for this organization.

Hey now, they were in a playoff spot for 24 hours in April 2013.

(with a couple of games in hand on the teams behind)

Ahh, what a giddy and glorious era...

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
McLellan has been ******** on Pouliot - Nuge - Eberle in the media pretty regularly on this roadtrip (without naming their names specifically). Will they respond at all? Or are they just dogmeat now? Is there a better / different way to go about this or is this it?

Last year they were our best line BAR NONE, this season they are playing like garbage. RNH and Pouliot had the flu, but both seem to be held back by something still a couple of weeks later. Eberle has had shoulder issues and is also far from himself.

I just don't get it, there has to be something else going on, is it pouting? More injuries than we are aware of? Regardless it sucks to watch and if they were truly hurt I would hope that McLellan wouldn't blast them in the media. So either Todd is being a d bag or the 3 players are just not giving it their all and aren't hurt. If it's the latter then sit their ***** for a game or two or at least yank their PP time and cut their minutes.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007

He's been trying to light a fire under them and it isn't working. It's like they've made a sudden pact to suck as bad as possible so they can get traded or something. :laugh:

Wonder who else is in this pact. :huh:

Gambl0r83*

Yup.

Gross.

I think I'm out till McDavid is back, or at least won't be going out of my way to torture myself like this, anyway.

Leafs didn't even look good. We just looked worse.

Predicted this would happen in the pre-game talk

Haven't watched a game since the first 7 minutes vs Carolina. **** this, I just don't know how an NHL team can be this bad for so long, even with so many changes

McDavid is the only ray of light, and it's a bright one, 'till then, i'm allocating that time to video games

Oct 15, 2008
Predicted this would happen in the pre-game talk

Haven't watched a game since the first 7 minutes vs Carolina. **** this, I just don't know how an NHL team can be this bad for so long, even with so many changes

McDavid is the only ray of light, and it's a bright one, 'till then, i'm allocating that time to video games

No accountability. The gm and president of hockey ops are still on the payroll and still stinking up the organization despite being replaced.

The golden boys havent ever been scratched and nobody has been moved etc.

The inmates are running the asylum.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
Figures it's the plugs who understand hockey better than the superstars.

As a Leaf fan, I'm still somewhat stung by the 80's Oiler teams. The current Oiler's performance have been a curiosity, but it wasn't until this game that really made wonder what is going wrong. And I know wrong... like I said, I've grown up watching the Leafs.

The current edition of the Oilers reminds me of the 80's Leafs. How? Back in the 80's the Leafs were terrible... but really the talent level of the kids they had coming in was pretty good. But they immediately stuck them in the NHL. Iafrate played 10 games for the Belleville Bulls. P.K. Subban played 4 seasons and went on to win the Norris. Gary Leeman, Russ Courtnall, Clark, etc... they all lacked development. And often it's the high scoring players that suffer. They've usually gone their whole career with the puck on their stick. Throw them into the NHL and they're lost. The funny thing with the 'plugs', they've usually made it a career of playing without the puck, but they're more likely going to be developed.

Throwing kids into the NHL, whether they can score or not, is a guaranteed way of having allot of goals-against. And now when you can't 'buy' players, the key is development. I knew the Hamilton Bulldogs was Montreal's farm team. They had patience, took their time with players. How many top Oilers would it take to match
Tomas Plekanec's 77 games in the AHL? Galchenyuk was throw right in. They had to spoon feed his shift and he still ended up a -12 in his first season. So yes you can do it at the NHL level sometimes. And sometimes you have to. But the Oilers, I believe, need to start working on their development big time. It won't hurt to play kids in the minors for a season to learn what will and won't work offensively, learn how to play within a system, and how to start playing against more elite levels of competition.

AJGass4

Aug 19, 2011
They looked tired and mentally out of the game.

Refs sucked again. Not sure what we did to any of them, it's not like we've been a threat to anyone the last ten years but the fact that Hall gets crosschecked and no penalty over and over every game with no call must get frustrating for him.

We didn't lose because of it, but it is mind boggling to say the least.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Oh ya lets blame the refs, because our PP would've saved the game for us.

Team was just outright brutal. Came out firing in the second only to fizzle.

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
I am not jumping off any cliffs but it was really disappointing, especially given they had already mailed in Carolina and the first half of Detroit in just the last week. Keep waiting for them to turn a corner, thought maybe Pitt would have been it, but no.

2nd line was awful the entire trip. RNH has to still be sick or something, has to?

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

Coyote fan coming in peace. We are all homers, just go and read other team forums, but the only hilarity I see here is the Oilers not trading one of their core peaces for a player they need. We all know, or most of us do, is you win from the net out. The Oilers have been trying to do it in the opposite direction. When McDavid gets back I believe he will save your ass this year, but might also mask some of the problems you have displayed of late.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Coyote fan coming in peace. We are all homers, just go and read other team forums, but the only hilarity I see here is the Oilers not trading one of their core peaces for a player they need. We all know, or most of us do, is you win from the net out. The Oilers have been trying to do it in the opposite direction. When McDavid gets back I believe he will save your ass this year, but might also mask some of the problems you have displayed of late.

You're not going to get a #1 goalie or defenseman for RNH. That conversation starts with Hall and there's a reason those types aren't traded. The Oilers will have to draft and develop the players they need because everyone they bring in from outside the organization becomes junk.

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
Long term I see RNH/Drai as almost a rotating 2nd/3rd line center. I think he will come out of his funk.

I trade the 1st and Pouliot or Yak for a dman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad