McDavid hate rewarded by giraffes. lEafs beat Oilers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kepler 186f

Red Shifted
Dec 17, 2007
Coyote fan coming in peace. We are all homers, just go and read other team forums, but the only hilarity I see here is the Oilers not trading one of their core peaces for a player they need. We all know, or most of us do, is you win from the net out. The Oilers have been trying to do it in the opposite direction. When McDavid gets back I believe he will save your ass this year, but might also mask some of the problems you have displayed of late.

Nilsson hasn't been the problem. Too many of the forwards either just aren't that good to begin with or have been floating around in a dream state.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
I didn't watch the game. I've come to the conclusion that watching this team just doesn't make me happy or inspire my creative process at all. It's become a big brick wall in front of other things that I would much rather be doing. I worked on getting my previous speed up on the guitar sprinkled with a few new licks and patterns for speed, and worked out some more parts for my original material that I'm currently working on.

Had a pretty productive night last night.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I didn't watch the game. I've come to the conclusion that watching this team just doesn't make me happy or inspire my creative process at all. It's become a big brick wall in front of other things that I would much rather be doing. I worked on getting my previous speed up on the guitar sprinkled with a few new licks and patterns for speed, and worked out some more parts for my original material that I'm currently working on.

We should compile a list of things that are more productive/better/less painful than watching the Oilers.

Like doing your taxes or editing videos.

Oct 15, 2008

Good to hear. And good advice. I wish I would take it. I feel bad cause I spent good money for CI to watch the games but alas I would be better off working on my playing too.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
the season isn't loss just yet, but after the Pittsburgh win this Toronto game was a gimme,our chance to really get the ball rolling.

I didn't watch the game but not out of choice. I was expecting us to do really well. I try to watch most games. It does concern me that the issue appears to be the effort level, and as Letestu pointed out, that we weren't the more desperate team. We should be the most desperate team in the league. If we can put our team where we are winning at a decent clip, we've got McDavid coming on the horizon to push us over the top. Then maybe, just maybe, push for the playoffs if that effect snowballs. If we can't even play .500 without McDavid, then it won't matter if McDavid plays or not. Quite frankly, I don't see a valid excuse for why we can't play .500. That is a low bar of expectation I'm setting.

We've thrown away too many games so far for us to afford throwing away a game against a team like the Leafs.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Coyote fan coming in peace. We are all homers, just go and read other team forums, but the only hilarity I see here is the Oilers not trading one of their core peaces for a player they need. We all know, or most of us do, is you win from the net out. The Oilers have been trying to do it in the opposite direction. When McDavid gets back I believe he will save your ass this year, but might also mask some of the problems you have displayed of late.

This is false. You don't win from the net out, or the Coyotes would have traded OEL for a better goalie than Mike Smith a long time ago.

You win from the blueline out, and I think you'll see a move to help that front by Christmas.

gwiz999

Jul 18, 2013
Since 2013 the defense, bottom six and goalies have been traded, retired or gone overseas (constant change in these areas) and yet fans still blame these groups of revolving players for losing while the high end talent remains the same.

Training camp opened with a clear message of compete, compete, compete. Here we are, a quarter of the way thru the season and where's the compete level? The coach has said a few games were "disappointing". They were a lot more than disappointing. Where's the bark he showed at training camp?

Do we really think benching a few select players or putting them in the pressbox is going to light a fire under them? They make their millions regardless. I see Hendricks (and previously Gordon) sacrificing their bodies, giving it their all game in and game out despite not having a great deal of talent or making a lot of money. It has to be frustrating for guys like them to see the lack of compete.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
the season isn't loss just yet, but after the Pittsburgh win this Toronto game was a gimme,our chance to really get the ball rolling.

I didn't watch the game but not out of choice. I was expecting us to do really well. I try to watch most games. It does concern me that the issue appears to be the effort level, and as Letestu pointed out, that we weren't the more desperate team. We should be the most desperate team in the league. If we can put our team where we are winning at a decent clip, we've got McDavid coming on the horizon to push us over the top. Then maybe, just maybe, push for the playoffs if that effect snowballs. If we can't even play .500 without McDavid, then it won't matter if McDavid plays or not. Quite frankly, I don't see a valid excuse for why we can't play .500. That is a low bar of expectation I'm setting.

We've thrown away too many games so far for us to afford throwing away a game against a team like the Leafs.

:laugh::laugh:

what evidence led you to this conclusion?

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I'll say this - the Leafs did a pretty good impression of a late '90's Devils team after going up 1-0. Very low event boring hockey.

You beat a trap with speed and by going hard to the net, and the Oilers just didn't really feel like it last night outside of Hall and Drai.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Last year they were our best line BAR NONE, this season they are playing like garbage. RNH and Pouliot had the flu, but both seem to be held back by something still a couple of weeks later. Eberle has had shoulder issues and is also far from himself.

I just don't get it, there has to be something else going on, is it pouting? More injuries than we are aware of? Regardless it sucks to watch and if they were truly hurt I would hope that McLellan wouldn't blast them in the media. So either Todd is being a d bag or the 3 players are just not giving it their all and aren't hurt. If it's the latter then sit their ***** for a game or two or at least yank their PP time and cut their minutes.

Something is very wrong with the Pouliot-RNH-Ebs line... then again about 2 years I stopped complaining about our D as much as our weak-ass forwards (at least Nuge vastly improved).

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I'll say this - the Leafs did a pretty good impression of a late '90's Devils team after going up 1-0. Very low event boring hockey.

You beat a trap with speed and by going hard to the net, and the Oilers just didn't really feel like it last night outside of Hall and Drai.

we were trapped in our own end. Had nothing to do with the Devils trap of the 90's, it was the Oilers of the past 5 years that forgot how to play positionally and were panicking in their own end.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
we were trapped in our own end. Had nothing to do with the Devils trap of the 90's, it was the Oilers of the past 5 years that forgot how to play positionally and were panicking in their own end.

Yup this is for sure it. Outside Nurse and Sekera pairing it was a tire fire in our own end all night. Fayne and Klefbom pairing is a disaster. We kept putting Letestu line against Kadri which was a disaster.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
:laugh::laugh:

what evidence led you to this conclusion?

The Oilers have been a disappointment. That implies that we have had some expectations. To this point there have been a string of passable excuses imo.

With so many changes we were bound to start rough. We also had a rough schedule to start and as it lightened up we started scoring more. Then we had injuries. Then we had flu. We are getting injured players back. We must be getting ahead of the flu. We had a cream puff opponent. So forgive me for saying "okay now... can we get this season going?" We're out of excuses at this point. Unless the excuse is that we need our 18 year old rookie to carry the team on his back some more. I dont buy it though.

Im still expecting us to start winning at a modest clip. The team has better resources than last season by a mile

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW

Yup this is for sure it. Outside Nurse and Sekera pairing it was a tire fire in our own end all night. Fayne and Klefbom pairing is a disaster. We kept putting Letestu line against Kadri which was a disaster.

We gave up 25 shots, not exactly a "tire fire" as you put it... we had some poor turnovers, I will agree, however our issues were with the forwards not giving outlets, and generally floating around, not with the D (outside maybe Fayne, I did notice a bunch of poor choices on his end).

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
We gave up 25 shots, not exactly a "tire fire" as you put it... we had some poor turnovers, I will agree, however our issues were with the forwards not giving outlets, and generally floating around, not with the D (outside maybe Fayne, I did notice a bunch of poor choices on his end).

I never said anything about a tire fire, but if this was any other team other than the Leafs those bad turnovers in our own end or just outside our blueline would've lead to a lot more shots on our net.

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
I never said anything about a tire fire, but if this was any other team other than the Leafs those bad turnovers in our own end or just outside our blueline would've lead to a lot more shots on our net.

Agreed, and I multi quoted so it was the other user I was referring to.

It definitely could have been 5 or 6 zip if it were a Minnesota or San Jose, for sure. But I pin it on the forwards, is all I am saying.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Not to call you out my friend but weren't you taking a much different angle in my thread today asserting that it was presumptuous to be making any such conclusions. ;)

Maybe its an overreaction. Which we are all susceptible to here. ;)

its just a little funny seeing the 10 hour complete about face. I mean well with that, I think we all must have Oiler induced PTSD. :laugh:

Couldn't agree more with Mclellan. This is the short straw assignment in Edmonton. The players decide what games they will play. Not much has changed. its just brutal to see how bad guys like Nuge, Eberle, can still play after years in the league. Will they ever cut out the **** in their game and be more consistent?

Its time for Chia and McLellan to just let loose on this team with both barrels. At some point the nice guy faces have to come off for a bit.

Are you talking about the Chia thread? With that, I thought it was too early to make a judgment on his new acquisitions.

The old guard has had these same issues for years now. I have defended Nuge earlier this year because he was playing with more gusto but even since he got that flu, his effort level has been atrocious, resorting back to his listless play of the last few seasons. I wouldn't even call it inconsistent, more like his effort has been consistently poor.
I think Eberle has shown some effort but he's just too soft to enforce his will and is unable to create much if he doesn't have a center to play off of so with him playing on the 3rd line for an extended stretch and lately with an ineffective Nuge, it's no wonder that his play has fallen off a cliff. Not to excuse his poor play either.

I'm just sick of these guys putting up numbers when all the pressure is off and coming up empty when the games hold some meaning. At least put up a fight like Hall does. Say what you want about Hall trying to force the issue, and he has the propensity to look atrocious when he's trying to do too much, but at least he tries. RNH, Eberle and Schultz consistently fold like a cheap tent when the opposition gets in their face. At least 2 of these guys are gone this offseason, this is pretty obvious if you read between the tea leaves of Chia and Mclellan media scrums.

Last edited:

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Agreed, and I multi quoted so it was the other user I was referring to.

It definitely could have been 5 or 6 zip if it were a Minnesota or San Jose, for sure. But I pin it on the forwards, is all I am saying.

They were all to blame. Forward forgot when and how to help the d out, d forgot what that black round thing was for when they had it on their stick. It was just awful.

What gets me is what TOR did to us is what I expected us to be doing against weaker teams this year. Winning the battles, getting them pinned in their own zone, catching them off guard.

One of things McLellan tried to focus on is the positioning, when and how to jump in and help your teammate. All those little things that can give you that extra boost and win the tight came. Granted against top teams I didn't expect it to work, but my god we can't even do the little things against poor teams?

Did the McDavid news, the one win and the grey cup win really get these guys too high or are they just incompetent at remembering what they've been taught.

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
Oh, they lost again. And I see they were shutout.

Typical.

The problem is two-fold:
1) defense that can't make breakout passes (or any passes for that matter)
2) forwards that are unwilling to go in the corners and battle for pucks

Defensively, our systems are stronger than I've seen in a long time. Now coach has to get our offense going.

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010
When we were playing well systematically, I wondered how long they would keep it up without results.
I guess the answer was that last Washington game. The team has looked like the usual Oilers to me since.

McDeathbyCheerios*

The problem is two-fold:
1) defense that can't make breakout passes (or any passes for that matter)
2) forwards that are unwilling to go in the corners and battle for pucks

Defensively, our systems are stronger than I've seen in a long time. Now coach has to get our offense going.
Other than Fayne and Ference I'm happy with how our d has played

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad