TSN: McDavid Gets Suspended for 2 Games for High Hit on Leddy

What type of punishment does McDavid get?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Hmm, I guess I'll be objective and say that 2 games is fair. It was a nasty hit and headshots will always get penalized heavily by the NHL.

What bothers me about the league is that they are too lenient on other infractions that are just as dangerous like slashing, careless use of the stick (how does Malkin get it 1 game for his lumberjack swing?) and cheap shots like slewfooting which is arguably the most dangerous cheap shot (Tkachuk anybody?) and nutshots. Intentional boardings are incredibly dangerous as well. Too much inconsistency in how they hand out suspensions.

See the thing is thats not a hit.

Its a collision that one party braced for the other didn't. McDavid tries to play the puck but leddy gets the shot off and then he braces for the collision.

This makes the NHL a NO CONTACT LEAGUE (When it suits them)

EDIT:

It's literally the same thing Malkin did when he passed off the puck then braced himself for the incoming player

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
See the thing is thats not a hit.

Its a collision that one party braced for the other didn't. McDavid tries to play the puck but leddy gets the shot off and then he braces for the collision.

This makes the NHL a NO CONTACT LEAGUE (When it suits them)

EDIT:

It's literally the same thing Malkin did when he passed off the puck then braced himself for the incoming player

These are the type of plays that the NHL is trying to abolish so while it wasn't intentional, it was reckless and could have ended badly for Leddy. If McDavid was on the receiving end, HFOil would have screamed out bloody murder.

The problem isn't this suspension, it's consistency with these types of hits being called.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
My guess is K. Gretz anonymously called the league and asked for a suspension. Now we can trade at the deadline without the BS notion that we are, or were ever in a playoff hunt

3 wins in like 20 games and these idiots preaching playoff hunt lmao. What a joke

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
These are the type of plays that the NHL is trying to abolish so while it wasn't intentional, it was reckless and could have ended badly for Leddy. If McDavid was on the receiving end, HFOil would have screamed out bloody murder.

Yep the NHL wants to turn this in to figure skating.

I hope next game the oilers players all just curl away from the opposing teams players. cant have accidental contact lol

Uh its happened more than a few times to mcdavid already.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Yep the NHL wants to turn this in to figure skating.

I hope next game the oilers players all just curl away from the opposing teams players. cant have accidental contact lol

Uh its happened more than a few times to mcdavid already.

Show me an example of an identical hit like this happening to McDavid.

The Lindholm boarding against McDavid is a prime example of the inconsistency that I'm talking about. That play was just as dangerous and he received no punishment.
However, I don't recall McDavid being on the receiving end of a headshot like the one he gave Leddy

Reactions: Helistin

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Yeah Publicly supporting your top player is such a dumb move... You should probably go cheer for the Flames
It’s not supporting McDavid that’s the problem, it’s the wording of the statement. This is our CEO who in multiple interviews has defended the team saying “we are still in it” “we believe” instead of owning up to how garbage this team is and admitting it’s a complete failure. McDavid deserved a suspension, it was a dumb hit. I think it didn’t need 2 games but I bet you if the Oilers were in legitimate playoff contention/battling for home ice it wouldn’t be 2 games. It’s a great opportunity for the league to send a strong message. But here is Nicholson claiming he’s disappointed because it’s a “critical” time of the season. Give me a break.

I cheer for the Oilers and I want more accountability. I don’t need to support everything the team does in cases like this.

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Show me an example of an identical hit like this happening to McDavid.

The Lindholm boarding against McDavid is a prime example of the inconsistency that I'm talking about. That play was just as dangerous and he received no punishment.
However, I don't recall McDavid being on the receiving end of a headshot like the one he gave Leddy

Most of the time when hes coming down on a 1 on 2 or 3 one player will target his head while the other water skis.

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
He’s getting a game more than he should be getting. Are you too much of a homer to admit it was a bad hit? He deserves a suspension end of story. It’s 2 ****ing games this isn’t a 5-10 game suspension it doesn’t even need a statement.

Thats not a hit. Thats a collision. Big difference

Reactions: McBeastMode

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
McD follows through just a little too much, he’s not a hitter and he kind of screwed up there. Normally he gets out of the way in those situations but I think he was a little pissed off at the time. Leddy was obviously hurt on the play and it’s unfortunate, it wasn’t malicious just an unfortunate result. McD will lose 300k for that and learn the hard way

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
McDavid looked/sounded disappointed with the hit in his post-game interview last night.

1:05

BlackDogg

There is nothing to do in Mockingbird Heights
Oct 3, 2015
Appeal it and bring up the lack of dangerous calls on him for four years now that would give the oilers the most power plays in the league.

I assume George parros took a lot of punches to the head so hard to blame him. Use the opportunity though.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
So you have nothing then. You made the statement that he received multiple headshots like the one he got suspended for so the burden of proof is on you.

I dont think he's been clipped by a shoulder like that, he just takes crosschecks to the head or gets boarded from behind and has his head driven in the boards WWE style

Gordievsky

Jan 18, 2019

The problem isn't this suspension, it's consistency with these types of hits being called.

I hear what you're saying but I dont know if it even rises to the level of reckless. It certainly wasnt intentional. I think you could credibly argue that he failed to avoid all contact, but reckless to me implies more culpability than I see in this hit.

I have never been one to complain that the league has a bias against any given team but this one genuinely surprised me.

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
Of course the mains is making my blood boil again. Please, don't venture over there if you don't have to. The place is seedy AF when it comes to anything Oiler related.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad