TSN: McDavid Gets Suspended for 2 Games for High Hit on Leddy

What type of punishment does McDavid get?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
They should suspend him for the rest of the year to, uh, teach him a lesson. Yeah. That's it.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Nice of Flames lover Button to chime in that McDavid should get 2 games.

Expecting a fine. Leddy's right shoulder was actually going to be the point of contact, but it went back because he passed the puck, which opened his head up. That's my homer view of the play at least ;)

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
Based on history, intent, injury sustained, penalty called, etc. I'd say a fine.

Based on the history of the league's suspensions, I'd say 2 games, because that's where the wheel of suspension will stop today.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
His eyes were on the puck and he pretty much just braced himself for a collision.
No extension, no follow through as accidental as they get.

compared to the mauling he gets this is nothing.

2 min penalty for head contact is sufficient

Reactions: MikeYEG

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Definately should get a game.

Players get suspended alot for those exact type of hits. Id actually be extremely impressed with the league if they had the balls to suspend him. I highly doubt they will, but id love to see it

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
If they do suspend him, can we also get an explanation why refs turn a blind eye to the no calls penalties that happens every game on McDavid. It is important that they are consistent in enforcing "rules" right. Very good opportunity to squash any "bias" for a player right?

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Will sound like a homer but he should get nothing. There was nothing dirty about that play. I get the NHL wants to stop concussions badly, but plays like this are just unfortunate head contact. All McDavid is doing is trying get a shoulder into Leddy to take him off the puck. The way Leddy moves awkwardly at the last second puts his head into McD's shoulder. There is just zero intend there at all to target the head.

For the record I have defended the same play by players from the other team as well. If you don't lift your shoulder up, or doing anything with it other than trying to put it into the other players body, but the other player moves their head down into the shoulder area it just shouldn't be anything. The only time these plays should get reviewed at all is if the players shoulder elevates into the head area.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
If they do suspend him, can we also get an explanation why refs turn a blind eye to the no calls penalties that happens every game on McDavid. It is important that they are consistent in enforcing "rules" right. Very good opportunity to squash any "bias" for a player right?

I imagine McDavid will have some sort of player's union representation or team representation. Hopefully a team rep lashes out at the DoPS/league in regards to all the abuse he endures on his behalf and how few penalties he draws. It's a private setting so perfect time to unload.

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
I hope they suspend him. Not because I want McDavid to miss time, but because I want there to be a precedent set that no matter who you are, if you throw a dirty hit, you'll be disciplined appropriately.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
I hope they suspend him. Not because I want McDavid to miss time, but because I want there to be a precedent set that no matter who you are, if you throw a dirty hit, you'll be disciplined appropriately.
That’s not how it works at all. Zero consistency.

Missing smitty

Oct 1, 2018

Be prepared for dudes leading with their heads if you think this was a dirty hit. Its unfortunate head contact, Leddy taking the shot slowed him up and McDavid didn't lift up at all. You have to accept hits like this, or you might as well say no contact. If McDavid had lifted even slightly,then you might have a case, but he didn't. Leddy's head was at the height his shoulders were because he was bent down.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Be prepared for dudes leading with their heads if you think this was a dirty hit. Its unfortunate head contact, Leddy taking the shot slowed him up and McDavid didn't lift up at all. You have to accept hits like this, or you might as well say no contact. If McDavid had lifted even slightly,then you might have a case, but he didn't. Leddy's head was at the height his shoulders were because he was bent down.

Exactly my point. If you throw out suspensions for stuff like this guys will intentionally put their head down and drop at any contact. It all depends on where the guys shoulder and where the head was. If the Shoulder comes up to the head, of course, but this is Leddy dropping his head down into McD's shoulder.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad