McDavid and Matthews have to wait to overtake Crosby

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
if i had to pick leading goal scorer in nhl next year, man i would put money on matthews

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Is there another "next one" on the horizon? Or will McDavid vs. Matthews and Laine be the OV vs. Crosby vs. Malkin for the next 5 -10 years?

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
if i had to pick leading goal scorer in nhl next year, man i would put money on matthews

I am thinking Laine. I think Laine will be the goalscorer, Matthews will be the all around threat, and McDavid will be the generational offensive talent.

After Crosby takes it down a notch of course.

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
They are both the shiny new toys, but their personal trophy shelves as well as team trophy shelves need to grow systemically and greatly before they are in Crosby's conversation. I believe it will happen, or at the barest of minimum has the possibility to happen, but it hasn't yet. They have a road ahead of them.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
They both could come close or may even pass Crosby when their careers are over(don't think it will happen but it could). So here's the one thing I don't get. Why is it OK for new players to surpass a player who played in this era , but its impossible for anyone to even come close to the players who played in the past? The ones currently cemented in the top 5 of all time. So we've already seen the greatest players hockey will ever produce? The only sport in the world where players don't improve?

Let me use Orr as an example. He was great in his era. But the ice was wide open, and the goalies were like having a skater stand in front of the net standing there trying to block shots. What would Crosby do in that era? Karlsson?

I'll never get that argument.

SniperOnTheWing

Apr 28, 2017
McDavid will be the guy to possibly pass Crosby after a dozen years or so, but he needs to stack the trophy case and win a couple of Cups first.

I'm a Leafs fan and I love Matthews but I'm not putting him in the Crosby/McDavid conversation yet. If he can lead us to a Cup or two I'll be more than happy with that even if he doesn't rack up scoring titles or many of the other individual awards. McDavid can have the Art Ross's and Hart's if he wants them, I want Cups from Matthews! If he can do that and win some trophies along the way then I'll consider it a bonus.

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
Crosby is/was better then Matthews will EVER become. Matthews can spend all the time he wants practicing he will never be as good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad