McDavid and Matthews have to wait to overtake Crosby

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
I don't need a crystal ball when Babcock has flat out said he prefers having a grinder, passer, and shooter on every line.

You just described all the roles Crosby has had to play over the years given his linemates. Seriously, you are really reaching if you think you can play the linemate card against Crosby.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
McDavid and Matthews will also never have the benefit of getting so much go their way as Crosby always has, but that's life

Yeah poor McDavid. If only he could play with Pascal Dupuis and Chris Kunitz as his best wingers in his prime.

DANTHEMAN1967

Aug 10, 2016
Leafs fans must love how people write Matthews next to McDavid all the time it's literally only leaf fans who think Matthews should be in this group.

Can absolutely NOT wait for Eichel to outscore Matthews next year when he's healthy, closer to his prime under a new coach.

Eichel is a better player and Matthews I could see having a sophomore slump. He had two separate big slumps in his season this year, if he didn't he might of beat an injured Eichel in points per game but he couldn't.

Hey if Sabres fans are happier with Eichel than Matthews that's great, because Leafs fans are quite happy with Matthews.
Matthews as a rookie scored 40 goals, only Crosby had more, and he had the most 5 on 5 goals of anyone in the league and in a short while he will add the Calder to his trophy case.
I can't wait for next year when he scores 50+ with Nylander on his wing all season and maybe adds the Rocket Richard trophy to that display case as well.
:handclap:

paracord

May 5, 2016
Sid

I've watched 99% of Sid's games being based in Western PA.

Sid does things that you could fill a highlight reel of that don't result in goals or end up on SportsCenter. He's simply phenomenal and the only player I've seen that is better is Mario....and Sid does a few things better than even he did.

That said, he does have a tendency at this point in his career to go several games without making a huge impact or putting up points.

I've seen McDavid only a few times, but I can tell you he is something special. He's got a faster top gear than Crosby had/has. Of any modern player I've ever seen, he's the one that could be in Sid's league.

BUT, remember when the discussion was Ovi vs. Sid? Now, that is absurdly laughable. It'll be a tough task to overtake a guy that is ABSOLUTELY one of the top 5 or so players to ever lace 'em up.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
I think most people also forget the serious injuries Crosby has come back from and still managed to performed at highest level. The man is absolutely fearless the way he approaches his game. Doesn't take a shift off

Along with his skills, his physical and mental resiliency should be credited and accounted for

McDavid came back from injury and so far it's not a nagging one (knock on wood). Question is they can (if it happens and god forbid) come back from the injuries that Crosby came back from and still play at high level

We remember Lindros, Skinner(finally finding his game again) could never play the game at their full potential

Shaftception

Apr 6, 2011
McDavid plays the game at a faster speed then anyone else. His puck handling and skating is at a tier higher then the entire league.

Crosby thinks the game faster then any other player in the league, and sees the game slower.

For me without a doubt Crosby is the better player. Doesnt mean McDavid wont/cant surpass him.

I think McDavid has a very likely chance of having a more impressive individual award trophy case by the time he hangs them up compared to Crosby.

Partially due to his own significant amount of skill, but also due to hopefully staying healthier, likely being the main focus of his team and thus having the pick of the best linemates (unlike with Pit who's competitive advantage was avoiding stacking one line due to the luxury of having both Crosby and Malkin), and most importantly there seemingly not being a prime Ovechkin (or Malkin for that matter) to this generation's Crosby (McDavid) point production wise.

Even though the Matthews', Eichel's, Laine's, etc. are very good in their own right, they don't yet seem to hint that they have the type of skillset that will allow them to keep up with McDavid's Art Ross potential, so he might simply win more scoring titles than say Crosby did simply because his competition isn't as near him as it was in the days of the big 3. Of course that's yet to be determined and the other future superstars could evolve their game more, but thus far McDavid appears to be in a league of his own going forward regarding future scoring title races.

Does that mean he will be a better player comparatively when it's all said and done? It's certainly possible.

The one aspect of the Crosby/McDavid comparison I'm most intrigued by is how McDavid's speed advantage lasts as he ages.

People might forget Crosby used to be far more aggressive in puck pursuit when he was younger, he was as reckless as can be in his first couple years, watch some of his early highlights, the difference compared to now is pretty noticeable. After all his injuries, especially the high ankle sprain, he had to somewhat reinvent his style to protect himself better as well as simply deal with the natural decline of abilities due to aging. He's not as fast today as he was then, not as aggressive, but his superiority in the corners and on the cycle is primarily where he does most of his damage, and that aspect of his game shouldn't diminish too much as he ages further as long as he keeps in the kind of top physical shape that he's known to keep himself in. Because of which he might be capable of maintaining his current standard of play into his mid 30s. It'll depend on how healthy he can remain going forward, but his style at least is plenty capable of remaining effective in today's game for a good deal longer.

Compare that to McDavid who's just as seemingly generational in his playmaking abilities as Crosby was/is, vision, etc., but has that unique advantage of overwhelming speed, and I wonder how long that will last for him going forward. Will modern physical training allow him to maintain his current level of speed over the next decade? Possible, but if he does for whatever reason, be it age or injury, lose that significant speed advantage over the rest of the league, will he too adapt his game to remain as effective production wise going forward? I believe he's capable, but it will be interesting to follow as he grows.

How their careers continue to compare to one another going forward should be entertaining to follow to say the least.

maxmn

Feb 16, 2013
Hey if Sabres fans are happier with Eichel than Matthews that's great, because Leafs fans are quite happy with Matthews.
Matthews as a rookie scored 40 goals, only Crosby had more, and he had the most 5 on 5 goals of anyone in the league and in a short while he will add the Calder to his trophy case.
I can't wait for next year when he scores 50+ with Nylander on his wing all season and maybe adds the Rocket Richard trophy to that display case as well.
:handclap:

Matthews will be the star. He's shown more grit and more all around game than McDavid.

The Big Unit

Oct 24, 2009
Yeah poor McDavid. If only he could play with Pascal Dupuis and Chris Kunitz as his best wingers in his prime.

Oh boo hoo. Blame Pittsburgh's GM for not getting him anyone to play with...er wait a second. They got him Hossa, Iginla, Recchi, Lemieux, Guerin, Malone, Kessel, etc.

It's not McDavid's fault Crosby can't gel with his wingers.

Csteamer

Mar 23, 2012
McDavid and Matthews will also never have the benefit of getting so much go their way as Crosby always has, but that's life

Nothing like having the following as your linemates:

Colby Armstrong
Chris Kunitz
Connor Sheary
Pascal Dupuis
Jake Gentzel
etc etc etc

Crosby has made the borderline 3rd liners he's played with into big time production players. Crosby would salivate over having Draisaitl on his line.

Csteamer

Mar 23, 2012
Injuries happen to everyone

McDavid and Matthews will never have the easy road Crosby has always had that comes with having the full weight of the league behind you and determined that you succeed no matter what.

They, and their team, will have to earn everything for themselves rather than relying on the NHL to help them out but again, that's life.

Jesus Christ. Conspiracy theory nutjobs have no place on this forum.

Csteamer

Mar 23, 2012
Oh boo hoo. Blame Pittsburgh's GM for not getting him anyone to play with...er wait a second. They got him Hossa, Iginla, Recchi, Lemieux, Guerin, Malone, Kessel, etc.

LOL..they got him an Iginla, Recchi, Lemieux, and Guerin all in the very very twilight on their career.

Malone is garbage and out of the league. Kessel has never played on a line with Crosby.

That's the point. Crosby doesn't need top end guys on his line. That's why the Pens win. Depth. They let Crosby's greatness make up for his mediocre linemates, and allow Malkin to play with the 3rd best forward on the team.

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006

This seems like an attempt to list a lot of names without considering the context.

Recchi: yeah, when he was practically done in the NHL
Lemieux: he played, what, half a season? It was his last season
Malone: umm...what?
Guerin: again, in his twilight years

Hossa: yes. And they were amazing together. Crosby's most successful playoffs.
Iginla: they never played together (spent ~30 games on same team)
Kessel: again, they were tried once under MJ, and occasionally under SS, but mostly PP... and they work well

The Big Unit

Oct 24, 2009
LOL..they got him an Iginla, Recchi, Lemieux, and Guerin all in the very very twilight on their career.

Malone is garbage and out of the league. Kessel has never played on a line with Crosby.

That's the point. Crosby doesn't need top end guys on his line. That's why the Pens win. Depth. They let Crosby's greatness make up for his mediocre linemates, and allow Malkin to play with the 3rd best forward on the team.

Then why are you complaining about Crosby's line mates?

When they got Kessel wasn't it to be on Crosby's wing? When they acquired Iginla, wasn't it to be on Crosby's wing? Same for Hossa and Guerin? I don't care what part of their careers they were at. Like I said before, blame Shero and then Rutherford. Going after guys past their prime or rentals is probably what kept Malkin in Pittsburgh. Penguins fans always want to overlook that and ***** about Crosby's line mates then say "Crosby doesn't need great line mates he wins anyway".

The Big Unit

Oct 24, 2009
How about you the through the thread to get some context rather than being another typical anti-Crosby poster throwing **** against the wall to see what sticks.

I'm anything but typical. I have used facts to back my arguments and opinions and how I came to those conclusions. It's fine if you disagree but I'm not throwing anything against the wall. The gap between Crosby and his peers isn't huge. This is my opinion and it's based on the comparable between Crosby's dominance in his era vs his peers being nowhere near the gap that existed between Lemieux, Gretzky, Orr, or Howe and their peers. He's undoubtedly the best player of his generation and one of the best all time. But his greatness is unfortunately dampened by the fact that his trophy case and career numbers don't match up with the dominance his fans claim he has. Sorry it's just not there.

If he's the best 200 ft player in the league, where's his Selke? If he's been the best year in year out why doesn't he have more Hart's and Art Ross trophies? Lemieux got injured way more than Crosby. He also has a lot more hardware than Crosby because he actually dominated the league in a way Crosby just hasn't.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona

A laugh emote is a comment now?

What was he wrong about? He has far more grit than McDavid. Matthews actually takes the Center responsibilities on himself, McDavid has Drai to do that for him. Matthews is far better in front. He's far better along the boards. He's better at the cycle in the zone. He's better at picking pockets. These are the things the person you quoted was speaking of and he's correct. Matthews is better at all of them.

He didn't say Matthews is better off the rush or faster.

Does ":laugh:" mean "I agree" now?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Nothing like having the following as your linemates:

Colby Armstrong
Chris Kunitz
Connor Sheary
Pascal Dupuis
Jake Gentzel
etc etc etc

Crosby has made the borderline 3rd liners he's played with into big time production players. Crosby would salivate over having Draisaitl on his line.

Guentzel (not Gentzel), Sheary and Kunitz aren't 3rd liners though and Dupuis at his best wasn't a 3rd liner either. Crosby has played with his fair share of 3rd liners or worse, but those are guys like Armstrong, Hilbert, Stempniak, Downie, Kobasew, Spaling and Gibbons.

83to48

May 6, 2007
On The Halfboards
A laugh emote is a comment now?

What was he wrong about? He has far more grit than McDavid. Matthews actually takes the Center responsibilities on himself, McDavid has Drai to do that for him. Matthews is far better in front. He's far better along the boards. He's better at the cycle in the zone. He's better at picking pockets. These are the things the person you quoted was speaking of and he's correct. Matthews is better at all of them.

He didn't say Matthews is better off the rush or faster.

Does ":laugh:" mean "I agree" now?

:shakehead

905PENS

Oskee wee wee
Apr 9, 2013
Hamilton Ontario
At this point right now... If i was making a cup run... Crosby.. No question. He's a proven winner. I can't predict the future tho.

As it stands id draft Mcdavid over Mathews. Yes Mathews did amazing in the playoffs and during the season. But, alot of times he wasn't drawing the top line against him. Mcdavid matches up with top lines more often than not. Here's to hoping both of them can be part of a winning culture on their respective teams.

GordieHowsUrBreath

Nostalgia... STOP DWELLING ON THE PAST
Jun 16, 2016
5-6 what? Centers? Arguable (99, 66, Beliveau, Esposito, Messier, Sakic, Trottier, Clarke, Yzerman, and Fedorov all have a case being above him). 5-6 players? Not even close.

most do not

stop pretending hockey talent peaked 20 years ago

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad