McDavid and Matthews have to wait to overtake Crosby

FFHockey

Oct 12, 2015
Winnipeg, Manitoba,
McDavid is certainly dynamic and a gamechanger. After watching Matthews for a complete series I don't think he is that far from McDavid. I think he may even end up being a more complete player than McDavid in the end. It "kind of" pains me to say that about Matthews as I am a Jet fan! ;)

They are great, but they both have such a long way to go to overtake Crosby. Have watched all 3 pretty closely over the last couple weeks and to my eyes the gap between them is even greater than I thought it was.

Sid's play over the last year and a half has not come close to being matched....I know McDavid won a scoring title and Matthews will win a Calder in that time frame but man...Crosby has been all world!

We are so lucky to be able to watch these guys light it up. (That Karlsson kid ain't too shabby either:handclap:)

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
They're never going to overtake peak Crosby, that guy's one of the top 5 or 6 greatest ever I'd think.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
I've been saying it since both were drafted. Neither of them will ever be as good as Crosby. He's the best of both in one package.

KPower

Jan 17, 2012
McDavid will score more points than Sid and Matthews more goals but neither will as great a player.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Crosby was not as good as McDavid at the same age. I say that with the upmost confidence. Albiet it was close.

Give McDavid a couple years and we will see. But Crosby is imo currently a better overall player than McDavid.

McDavid is generational Mathews is not. Great player that Mathews is he has never been considered generational by non bias hockey pundits. Having said that The future is murky for mortals and who knows mathews may end up better than both McDavid and Crosby.

Benneguin

Original Recipe
May 26, 2015
I agree with you guys. Also, the Winnipeg Jets run of 5 straight cups ends in 2042, the same year Jagr retires.

I Hate Blake Coleman

Bandwagon Burner
Jul 22, 2008
Saskatchewan
Crosby was not as good as McDavid at the same age. I say that with the upmost confidence. Albiet it was close.

Give McDavid a couple years and we will see. But Crosby is imo currently a better overall player than McDavid.

McDavid is generational Mathews is not. Great player that Mathews is he has never been considered generational by non bias hockey pundits. Having said that The future is murky for mortals and who knows mathews may end up better than both McDavid and Crosby.

Crosby wasn't as good because he was better.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
5-6 what? Centers? Arguable (99, 66, Beliveau, Esposito, Messier, Sakic, Trottier, Clarke, Yzerman, and Fedorov all have a case being above him). 5-6 players? Not even close.
Crosby is better than all of those players with the exception of Gretzky, Lemieux and arguably Beliveau. There is no argument for guys like Sakic and Fedorov being better than Sid.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
McDavid was better in regular season. This is Mcdavids first playoffs as a 20 year old. Hes got a Canada Olympic D (Vlasic) and USA olympian and Selke Finalist (Kesler) shadowing him and he STILL has 5 points in 7 games. Not to mention entire teams game planning around him Crosby in his first playoff was pretty meh too (5 points in 5 games)

Playoffs are a learning curve for young players. I have no doubt Mcdavid will be better next regular season and next playoffs

vsove

Apr 13, 2017
Edmonton, AB
I'm very glad we were able to settle this after one year of Matthews and a year and a half of McDavid.

Here I was worried we'd need longer to judge each player, and have to do boring stuff like take into account different playing situations, different league conditions and different teammates. But we've sewn it all up nice and tidy! Thank goodness.

To be less sarcastic - I think Crosby is absolutely the better player right now. I think it's impossible to say who ends up being better over the course of a career.

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
Neither are as well rounded as Sid, but both are better at some things. McDavid could still end up better if his shooting improves. (forehand and backhand)

Raym11

Oct 6, 2009

everything you said i disagree with

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
If they aren't gonna be as good as Crosby, that's still better than a lot of other NHL'ers

Raym11

Oct 6, 2009
Matthews is never going to average as many points or play a flashy style that Mcdavid plays, but their value to their respective teams might be similar. Remember how dominant someone like Zetterberg was in his prime, mentioned among the best but never actually being near the best. Doesn't mean his impact was any less the way he played the game overall.

Eichel has a better shot at matching Mcdavid in scoring

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
I think Matthews will be closer to McDavid than McDavid is to Crosby.

There's been absolutely nothing to suggest that'll be the case at any stage of McDavid's or Matthews' careers at any level of hockey, but okay. The gap between McDavid and Crosby at the moment isn't too big so unless McDavid plateaus or regresses and those behind him make giant leaps, it's tough to see that being the case.

If Matthews can improve his pedestrian two way game instead of being sheltered with offensive zone starts and easy competition next year and eclipse a PPG pace, then he'll perhaps edge himself into the conversation. Has done nothing to separate himself from his peers in Eichel or Laine yet, let alone being compared to McDavid.

smackdaddy

x – Edmonton
Nov 24, 2006
B.C.
McDavid's better than any forward in 2016/2017 and that's a fact so I guess this thread is about hopes and dreams.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Matthews is never going to average as many points or play a flashy style that Mcdavid plays, but their value to their respective teams might be similar. Remember how dominant someone like Zetterberg was in his prime, mentioned among the best but never actually being near the best. Doesn't mean his impact was any less the way he played the game overall.

Eichel has a better shot at matching Mcdavid in scoring

Matthews will be a better offensive player than Zetterberg, but he won't be nearly as good defensively. His defensive game was exaggerated quite a bit going into the draft, while his offensive game was underrated. Very good goal scorer at a very young age, the guy just creates offense everywhere he goes. There's no need for a player like that to focus so hard on defense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad