McDavid already has more 5 point games than Crosby

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Crosby will always be a better player than McDavid. For a team that supposedly has the best 2 players on the world on it, and is a fringe playoff team year after year, says a ton.

Crosby made Kunitz an Olympian, I don’t see who McDavid is elevating around him.

Reactions: Vasilevskiy

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
You can't win a championship with only 2 elite players and 1 regular top 6 player (RNH)...the rest of the roster is basically AHL quality.

Lol, it doesn't seem like you can win one with McDavid either.

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
Probably because the Penguins have typically had players besides Crosby and Malkin who can actually get points

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
McDavid is, without a doubt, the best offensive talent since Lemieux. No one is denying that. However, there's more to the game than just offense.

HF: It's not just about points, Crosby can't better than ____ because he doesn't play defense
Also HF: McDavid must be better than Crosby because points

You can't have it both ways, HF. McDavid smashes Crosby in pretty much every offensive category. And that's saying something, given Crosby's numbers. But Crosby smashes McDavid in every non-offensive category.

Crosby is the more complete player. Always has been. Always will be.
McDavid is the better offensive talent. Always has been. Always will be.

That he hasn't had a season that was as dominant offensively as Crosby's best, or Jagr's best, would seem to throw some doubt into this claim.

Reactions: Turin

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Crosby played on a worse team in his rookie year and had a historic performance. Crosby then took that team and lead it to the highest points jump in NHL history in 06/07.

So much for the "team" argument.

It's an interesting stat but in no way propels McDavid ahead as a player or thru their first 500 games, even just looking at offensive production only.

Last edited:
Reactions: sanscosm

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
It just means McDavid is not as consistent as Crosby. And scores soft points in routs. He needs 5 point games to reach the same total, whereas Crosby has more games with 1pt.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
It just means McDavid is not as consistent as Crosby. And scores soft points in routs. He needs 5 point games to reach the same total, whereas Crosby has more games with 1pt.
No Crosby doesn't. The stat is right in this thread showing McDavid also was shutout less frequently than Crosby.

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
Crosby will always be a better player than McDavid. For a team that supposedly has the best 2 players on the world on it, and is a fringe playoff team year after year, says a ton.

Crosby made Kunitz an Olympian, I don’t see who McDavid is elevating around him.

Maroon? Chiasson?

MoistDadBod

Apr 3, 2017
Down East
McDavid is absolutely awesome and deserves the high praise he gets. That said, this stat doesn't surprise me. Crosby has never really been the kind of player who racks up huge point totals in a single game. Sid, especially in his heyday, amassed points through extreme consistency. For his first several seasons - until 2010 - Crosby never went more than 3 games without scoring a point, and only had a handful of 3 game pointless streaks.

EDIT: corrected the statistic.

So you just came in here, made up a statistic like no one has the internet and can check if it's true or not eh? Who does that?

Through their first 5 seasons:

McDavid had 2 instances of 3 or more games without a point. His longest stretch was...3 games

Crosby had 5 instances of 3 or more games without a point. His longest stretch was...5 games in 2009

You were saying???

MoistDadBod

Apr 3, 2017
Down East
I stand corrected! I guess I misremembered the specifics of that statistic. I do remember for sure there was a long stretch where he never went more than 2 without a point.

EDIT: I guess the stat was that he never went more than 3 games without a point until 2010, not 2 games.

You keep making shit up and doubling down. He went 5 without a point in 2009. Oct 31-Nov 10. Get a grip man.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Crosby played on a worse team in his rookie year and had a historic performance. Crosby then took that team and lead it to the highest points jump in NHL history in 06/07.

So much for the "team" argument.
The Pens added Malkin to the fold in 2006/07 lol
I wonder if he helped
Oh and Staal

MoistDadBod

Apr 3, 2017
Down East
So since they have the same number of points at that games number, does that mean McDavid is streaky while Crosby is consistent?

No. As with most things in life, you can't boil down the difference to something so simple. They are both extremely consistent with slight deviations.

As posted above by @Hynh

PointsCrosbyMcDavid
6+21
5+47
4+1815
3+5759
2+152147
1+273277
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Reactions: jetsforever

MoistDadBod

Apr 3, 2017
Down East
McDavid plays an extra few minutes more per game and isn't asked to play defense.

Points do not increase linearly with TOI, which we're talking like a 20 second/game difference and the second part is patently false. He is one of the best defensive forwards in the league this year.

MoistDadBod

Apr 3, 2017
Down East
All this proves is that McDavid is less consistent than Crosby.

When they each took equal games to reach 500 points, then more 5-point games from McDavid means that he has had more games when he was silent compared to Crosby.

You're wrong though.

PointsCrosbyMcDavid
6+21
5+47
4+1815
3+5759
2+152147
1+273277
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad