McClement to Carolina

eddieO

Jan 9, 2013
The Beach
Funny you should say that because Bolland in his departing interview yesterday said there is something really wrong in the Leafs locker room but didn't specify exactly what he meant by that comment of issues in the room.

I've heard this as well. And I'm almost positive a large portion of it is our C.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
I wonder if even McClement can keep up the tradition of former Leafs scoring on us?

happyaccident

May 14, 2013
Funny you should say that because Bolland in his departing interview yesterday said there is something really wrong in the Leafs locker room but didn't specify exactly what he meant by that comment of issues in the room.

Sounds like a team not very united and instead factions existing .. Mac and Bolland may not have seen eye to eye with another group and thus their departures had something to do with that.

The guy costs us a big chunk of draft picks, turns down a ridiculously overvalued contract to resign (thankfully) and then badmouths his teammates on his way out. We're sure going to miss his leadership.

eddieO

Jan 9, 2013
The Beach
The guy costs us a big chunk of draft picks, turns down a ridiculously overvalued contract to resign (thankfully) and then badmouths his teammates on his way out. We're sure going to miss his leadership.

I'm pretty sure Bolland didn't ask us to give up draft picks for him. He wanted to go to Florida, who cares? And there IS a problem in the dressing room, that's why #culturechange.

Before he was injured he was arguably our best player.

King85Kong

Playoffs?
Nov 24, 2013
Toronto
I'm pretty sure Bolland didn't ask us to give up draft picks for him. He wanted to go to Florida, who cares? And there IS a problem in the dressing room, that's why #culturechange.

Not sure if are being serious about the bold part or not. Think you forgot this :sarcasm:

happyaccident

May 14, 2013

"I want to go to Florida" is probably what he meant when he kept saying how much he loved it here and wanted to resign. He should come with a built-in bs translator. The mature thing to do, you'd think, would be to ask for a sit-down with Shanahan instead of just bolting town and spewing off to the media. Good riddance.

Cap'n Flavour

Mar 8, 2004
Flavour Country
Letting McClement go is just a sign to me that anyone with hard work can be placed on the team, as the way it should be. Getting a UFA 4th line centre wouldn't be a bad thing but hey, you don't know what you got if you don't play that player.

Letting him go is mostly just a sign that he was viewed as not good enough to warrant another contract. There are currently more than enough roster spots to go around anyway. If they actually want to compete, they should at least sign a passable 4th line C and let Carrick/McKegg battle against him for a spot in camp. Hell, the Leafs have the budget to sign anyone under 950k and send them down if they suck.

eddieO

Jan 9, 2013
The Beach
Not sure if are being serious about the bold part or not. Think you forgot this :sarcasm:

Well, I just meant he had a pretty good October. Do you remember all of those threads exalting Bolland?

But yeah, I definitely didn't want to pay him what Florida did so it's all a moot point.

King85Kong

Playoffs?
Nov 24, 2013
Toronto
Well, I just meant he had a pretty good October. Do you remember all of those threads exalting Bolland?

But yeah, I definitely didn't want to pay him what Florida did so it's all a moot point.

Ya he did have a good October. Just not consistent enough and to injury prone.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
They are just making sure Carlyle doesn't play him 22 minutes a game this year.

Lol, probably.

McClement was very overrated here. He has a very limited skillset, he took too many penalties, and our PK struggled last season with him as our primary option.

He was expendable. There's a reason why teams didn't line up to offer him more than Carolina did.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
People need to understand that allowing Kulemin, McClement , Bolland etc to walk allows some Marlies kids to make the jump. We have to test them out sooner or later. We can't keep those kids in the minors forever
I supposed that is true. But it sure feels like we are slowly going downhill. Komarov really helps, but the rest of the changes seem underwhelming or counterproductive.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
I don't like this.

I understand the NHL is 'sink or swim.' You either perform or your inevitably on the way out. But I don't like how our management tends to give up on players after one poor season. If Anaheim did that with Getzlaf, then where they be today?

McClement was downright terrible last year. Who knows why. Whether it was Carlyle's (over)use of him or some other issue, he clearly did not play to the level we know he can play at. We saw what he could do in his first half-season, where he actually managed to grab Selke votes. Both St. Louis and Colorado fans speak highly of him.

If there's a better option out there, by all means, sign him. I'm not sure there is one, certainly not internally.

TheThrill81*

I've heard this as well. And I'm almost positive a large portion of it is our C.

Or it's your irrational dislike which leads you to believe that. Funny how Bolland admits to going where the money is, then casts suspicion on the Leafs locker room. Stay classy in Sunrise you money grubbing plug.

bluedevil58*

I think part of the reason the Hurricanes aren't that good these days is because half their roster seems to be comprised of guys who deemed expendable by crappy Leafs teams. :laugh:

Good luck to McClement in any case. I think he'll be better in a more defined, limited role, rather than anchoring the third line and playing more than Phil Kessel some nights.

Let me tell you about the Tlusty for Paradis deal..............

:handclap:

mcleex

Fire Parros
Jul 3, 2009
Why couldn't we have just matched that?? Last year and before two hometown boys decided to come to the Leafs for discounts Clarkson and McClement and look how they got treated and people wonder why no one wanted to come here this offseason lol

Stamkos anyone???

masarume

Aug 6, 2007
Or it's your irrational dislike which leads you to believe that. Funny how Bolland admits to going where the money is, then casts suspicion on the Leafs locker room. Stay classy in Sunrise you money grubbing plug.

To be honest, he cast suspicion before he knew what Flordia/Toronto's final offers were.
Are you upset with him because he took more money?

Class doesn't mean not speaking up when there's a problem (if he in fact did speak out). It also doesn't mean taking less money so the fans will like you.

I get that he cost us several picks, but that's on Nonis, not him.

masarume

Aug 6, 2007
Why couldn't we have just matched that?? Last year and before two hometown boys decided to come to the Leafs for discounts Clarkson and McClement and look how they got treated and people wonder why no one wanted to come here this offseason lol

Stamkos anyone???

Leaf fans are vicious.
I don't get how it's McClement's fault that he got played more than he should.
I would've liked for him to have stayed, but I won't loose too much sleep now that he's in Carolina.

rrc1967

Jan 9, 2014
Houston Texas
I'm wondering who the leafs think will win faceoffs.

all their centers are incredibly weak at faceoffs - making any gains they have made in defense just go out the window.

Bozak won only 38% of the draws he took on the PK, and all three centers shared ES draws, with McClement being the only one over 50%.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Why are you guys so high on some of these guys? Leafs clearly need to go in a different direction. What did he exactly accomplish here? Good riddance.

Yeah I don't get it. Who cares about this guy, like honestly. This whole team and the players get soooo overhyped. This team needs change. I couldn't care less if he 's only getting a million bucks, he's another guy that is off this roster and another change can be made. We finished out of the playoffs for a reason and he was one of the many reasons why. Adios.

CalgaryLeaf*

I think Jay's play slipped last year and he wasn't as effective on the PK...I'm glad to see him go.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
I'm wondering who the leafs think will win faceoffs.

all their centers are incredibly weak at faceoffs - making any gains they have made in defense just go out the window.

Bozak won only 38% of the draws he took on the PK, and all three centers shared ES draws, with McClement being the only one over 50%.

Well maybe with a change we'll add some more offense. Jay was good at face-offs but he was a blackhole offensively. More possession time in the O-zone = less face-offs taken in the D-zone. Changes...any change is good right now. Signing him would be yet another signal that we're fine with mediocre crap. Let's not overreact and pretend this guy was some sort of big player for us during his time here.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
not a fan of this move, thought mcclement was a great 4th liner, I guess management just thinks kontiola will be a better 4th liner

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
not a fan of this move, thought mcclement was a great 4th liner, I guess management just thinks kontiola will be a better 4th liner

He definitely has better skill than McClement. Like Nonis said you can't play your 4th line only 3-4 mins a game. You need guys that can get up and down the ice. Kontiola will provide some much needed skill in the bottom 6. Lugging out McClement, Orr/McClaren is such a waste

rrc1967

Jan 9, 2014
Houston Texas
Well maybe with a change we'll add some more offense. Jay was good at face-offs but he was a blackhole offensively. More possession time in the O-zone = less face-offs taken in the D-zone. Changes...any change is good right now. Signing him would be yet another signal that we're fine with mediocre crap. Let's not overreact and pretend this guy was some sort of big player for us during his time here.

well, last year's problem wasn't offense. and any time you give up control over the puck it's a bad move. losing faceoffs on the PK is even more so.

minimizing it as if the player did nothing is just as much of an overreaction - and even more so. this was an area the leafs needed desperately to improve in, not make weaker.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

Sounds like a team not very united and instead factions existing .. Mac and Bolland may not have seen eye to eye with another group and thus their departures had something to do with that.

soo. there's something 'really wrong' in the Leafs locker room, didn't specify what it is, but was willing to stay in the locker room that is 'really wrong' quote unquote had the Leafs paid him 5.5 for the years he want.

shut the everloving hell up, Bolland.

I mean obviously there are issues - there have been underlying threads that it's clearly from Phaneuf etc (Shanahan even said he hopes that Phaneuf can use him as a resource etc). but is he saying this if he's a Leaf? (and quite frankly if he did - my next question would be what does HE expect to do to help matters).

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00