McClement to Carolina

The Hockey Life

Feb 27, 2011
Leafs Nation
Liked him, but he was blown out of proportion in his first season and that was mainly due to Reimer's goaltending. Our PK improved yes, but it was mostly due to James.

EastVan

Jun 25, 2014
That is good value for him. I guess we are looking for a new mix for our bottom six C.

Leaf_Crazy

Jan 22, 2003
Toronto
Hard to believe we let him go for 1 Million. Weak Move.

He was a great role player and good for the 4th line. Especially at that price.

Morguee

Jan 22, 2010
Hard to believe we let him go for 1 Million. Weak Move.

He was a great role player and good for the 4th line. Especially at that price.

They are just making sure Carlyle doesn't play him 22 minutes a game this year.

dsf

Dec 7, 2009
Brampton
may not have been as good as some touted him to be, but that's another big hole at centre.

frankthetank91

Jul 30, 2011
Should of re-signed him at that price. Great role player, one of my favourite 4th liners.
On the bright side at least there really will be a big shake up.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Why are you guys so high on some of these guys? Leafs clearly need to go in a different direction. What did he exactly accomplish here? Good riddance.

Tml1489

Jun 28, 2013
Richmond Hill
for the price that he signed for, 1Mill for 1 year. I`m pretty disappointed right now. We have a lot of holes in our line-up that need to be addressed ASAP. Players are signing every day and Nonis is busy signing 37 year olds.

Our current line up

JVR/Bozak/Kessel
Lupul/Kadri/Clarkson
Komarov/_______/Frattin
______/________/Orr

_____/Phaneuf
Rielly/Polak -----Obviously dont know the exact pairing yet
Gardiner/Robidas

Gardiner- RFA (Most likely will be signed)
Franson RFA (Probably traded)
Bodie UFA (Probably re-signed)
Holland (Probably re-signed)
T.Smith-UFA
C.Ashton RFA
Ranger UFA- Will probably let walk
Remier RFA- Trade/Walk
Smithson UFA-

Either way, even with our UFAs and RFAs. Big holes still need to be filled. Jay Mac at 1 Mil would have at least solved 1 problem. Im trying to be patient but after seeing Georges choose BUFFALO over Toronto, I`m really just curious to know if any good UFA players want to come here at all.

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
Why do you guys are so high on some of these guys? Leafs clearly need to go in a different direction. What did he exactly accomplish here? Good riddance.

He was a 4c and a good one. At 1M, he's on a great contract. Carlyle overplayed him for sure, though.

With that said, I'm happy guys like Holland will get more time.

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London
0 offense.
Barely helped the PK, if at all.

Wish him well, but I'm glad the leafs didn't bring him back

WildcatMapleLeafs28

Jun 30, 2009
Atlantic Canada
for the price that he signed for, 1Mill for 1 year. I`m pretty disappointed right now. We have a lot of holes in our line-up that need to be addressed ASAP. Players are signing every day and Nonis is busy signing 37 year olds.

Our current line up

JVR/Bozak/Kessel
Lupul/Kadri/Clarkson
Komarov/_______/Frattin
______/________/Orr

_____/Phaneuf
Rielly/Polak -----Obviously dont know the exact pairing yet
Gardiner/Robidas

Gardiner- RFA (Most likely will be signed)
Franson RFA (Probably traded)
Bodie UFA (Probably re-signed)
Holland (Probably re-signed)
T.Smith-UFA
C.Ashton RFA
Ranger UFA- Will probably let walk
Remier RFA- Trade/Walk
Smithson UFA-

Either way, even with our UFAs and RFAs. Big holes still need to be filled. Jay Mac at 1 Mil would have at least solved 1 problem. Im trying to be patient but after seeing Georges choose BUFFALO over Toronto, I`m really just curious to know if any good UFA players want to come here at all.

Defense should be..

Gardiner - Phaneuf
Rielly - Robidas
Franson/Granberg/Percy- Polak

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
Liked him, but he was blown out of proportion in his first season and that was mainly due to Reimer's goaltending. Our PK improved yes, but it was mostly due to James.

If anything is blown out of proportion it was Reimer's goaltending. McClement was monstrous in his first season here.

That said, it wasn't one or the other which lead to the improved PK, it was both.

desperateblue

Jun 17, 2004
I liked him as well but considering how much ice time he had it made is faults stand out and look that much more noticeable. For what he brought to the table we can use one of the kids and save a couple bucks

James Reimer

I Stop Pucks
Oct 25, 2011
Toronto
Wow, Nonis couldn't give him a mil?

Loved McClement. Great bottom 6/4th line player that helped out our PK. Would've taken him back for 1m-1.5m in a heartbeat.

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
We couldn't sign McClement for any number. If we did, Carlyle would continue giving him 15 minutes per game.

Nonis is trying to force Carlyle to use the young guys instead of leaning on McClement's.

Why this is a better solution than simply firing Carlyle, I don't know.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
We couldn't sign McClement for any number. If we did, Carlyle would continue giving him 15 minutes per game.

Nonis is trying to force Carlyle to use the young guys instead of leaning on McClement's.

I honestly think they kept him around in case they need a job saver for themselves. Hard to do if you get rid of both your lifelines in one offseason

Sonofamitch

Aug 2, 2013
Vaughan,ON
I rather not have him here. If he's on this team you know Carlyle will be playing him upwards of 15 minutes a game. Jay can not be successful with that kind of ice time. It's probably a blessing in disguise that he didn't sign here.

DeathToAllButMetal

Let it all burn.
May 13, 2010
If anything is blown out of proportion it was Reimer's goaltending. McClement was monstrous in his first season here.

That said, it wasn't one or the other which lead to the improved PK, it was both.

Totally agree. McClement was phenomenal in his first year. He was terrible most of this past season, so I kind of understand letting him move on. But jeez, this whole offseason seems to be about blaming the supporting cast and letting the weak, soft, non-competitive top six off scot-free.

I can't believe what Nonis is saying about how the top six need to be taught to compete better by guys like Komarov, Polak, and Robidas. Really, Dave? Really? Phaneuf, Kessel, Lupul, etc. need more incentive? They need to be the leaders of this franchise. And if anything, it's far more likely that their lack of grit and competitive spirit is going to set the tone for the entire roster. It's crazy to think that Komarov and Robidas are coming to come in and set the tone in the room and on the ice, when you've got established guys wearing the C and making $5 mil to $7.5 mil a season. Why on earth would Phaneuf accept that he needs to learn anything from any newcomer?

Anyhow, hopefully McClement is off to a better situation where he'll be more appreciated. Another scapegoat for the Soft Six.

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
I agree that change is needed, but I probably would have gone to $1 million for McClement, who would have been a great 4C at ~10 mins a night. He was really good in Year 1.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph

Bozak
Kadri
xxxx
xxxx

You assume Holland probably gets a spot. We still need somebody with some degree of NHL experience for the fourth line though. Can't really assume a guy like Carrick or McKegg is ready to play 82 NHL games. If you lose Kadri or Bozak for an extended period, you're gonna have a bad time.

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
People need to understand that allowing Kulemin, McClement , Bolland etc to walk allows some Marlies kids to make the jump. We have to test them out sooner or later. We can't keep those kids in the minors forever

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00