McClement to Carolina

Cap'n Flavour

Mar 8, 2004
Flavour Country
Bye Jay, thanks for the okay half-season and the terrible full season you gave us.

I remember when people freaked out at Tim Brent going to the Canes. He's in the KHL now. You can relax.

People need to understand that allowing Kulemin, McClement , Bolland etc to walk allows some Marlies kids to make the jump. We have to test them out sooner or later. We can't keep those kids in the minors forever

Uh there are like two center prospects on the Marlies, Carrick and McKegg, and neither of them are really that great or stagnating in the AHL.

If you mean Holland he already has a spot locked up by default.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
People need to understand that allowing Kulemin, McClement , Bolland etc to walk allows some Marlies kids to make the jump. We have to test them out sooner or later. We can't keep those kids in the minors forever

In fact Holland is not waiver eligible and can not longer be sent down without waivers.

That all but assures him a spot on the roster next year. Ashton games played is getting close so he too will be in the same situation also.

Lets "play the kids" and take our chances his year the worst that can happen is a high draft pick.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Bozak
Kadri
xxxx
xxxx

You assume Holland probably gets a spot. We still need somebody with some degree of NHL experience for the fourth line though. Can't really assume a guy like Carrick or McKegg is ready to play 82 NHL games. If you lose Kadri or Bozak for an extended period, you're gonna have a bad time.

Komarov can play center so your XXXX could be Leo and Holland on the 3rd and 4th lines.

calcal798

Jun 2, 2010
London
Defense should be..

Gardiner - Phaneuf
Rielly - Robidas
Franson/Granberg/Percy- Polak

This, but a 2nd line of Lupul-Kadri-Clarkson would get never get the puck out of the zone, similarily to how it couldn't last year.

I wouldnt mind a top nine of:

JvR-Bozak-Kessel
Komarov-Kadri-Lupul
Frattin-Holland-Clarkson

We all know Komarov can hit and play effectively in the defensive zone, not sure how he is at cycling the puck, but throw him on a line with Kadri and Lupul and tell him to go to the net and maybe he could be a pleasant surprise.

Kyle Doobas*

I think part of the reason the Hurricanes aren't that good these days is because half their roster seems to be comprised of guys who deemed expendable by crappy Leafs teams. :laugh:

Good luck to McClement in any case. I think he'll be better in a more defined, limited role, rather than anchoring the third line and playing more than Phil Kessel some nights.

Avec Fromage*

Toronto had the 3rd worst PK in the NHL last year. Maybe McLement was not as amazing as you think?

We have Bozak, Kadri, Holland and we need one more. Not so bad.

At least with McClement gone, people will stop misspelling his name. Same with "Kulimen" and "Gunnerson."

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
Toronto had the 3rd worst PK in the NHL last year. Maybe McLement was not as amazing as you think?

We have Bozak, Kadri, Holland and we need one more. Not so bad.

Good joke!!!

Seriously though, I had drinks with JMac's uncle a couple of months ago and he told me that he didn't get along with a good portion of the core, was unhappy and wanted out badly. This May or may not have had a factor in all of this. Either that or 30 GMs didn't think that he was worth more than 1M per.

LeafsTop6

Jan 9, 2009
Markham
for the price that he signed for, 1Mill for 1 year. I`m pretty disappointed right now. We have a lot of holes in our line-up that need to be addressed ASAP. Players are signing every day and Nonis is busy signing 37 year olds.

Our current line up

JVR/Bozak/Kessel
Lupul/Kadri/Clarkson
Komarov/_______/Frattin
______/________/Orr

_____/Phaneuf
Rielly/Polak -----Obviously dont know the exact pairing yet
Gardiner/Robidas

Gardiner- RFA (Most likely will be signed)
Franson RFA (Probably traded)
Bodie UFA (Probably re-signed)
Holland (Probably re-signed)
T.Smith-UFA
C.Ashton RFA
Ranger UFA- Will probably let walk
Remier RFA- Trade/Walk
Smithson UFA-

Either way, even with our UFAs and RFAs. Big holes still need to be filled. Jay Mac at 1 Mil would have at least solved 1 problem. Im trying to be patient but after seeing Georges choose BUFFALO over Toronto, I`m really just curious to know if any good UFA players want to come here at all.

no wonder he did can't even spell his name right, i don't know what everyone is freaking out about, all we need is a 4C and 6D, holland will take the 3C and Reimer the backup, aston a 4W role, possibly broll up as well, or leivo, granberg can be a #7D, not anything to be too freaked out about

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
no wonder he did can't even spell his name right, i don't know what everyone is freaking out about, all we need is a 4C and 6D, holland will take the 3C and Reimer the backup, aston a 4W role, possibly broll up as well, or leivo, granberg can be a #7D, not anything to be too freaked out about

Bubble team ho!!!

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
If anything is blown out of proportion it was Reimer's goaltending. McClement was monstrous in his first season here.

That said, it wasn't one or the other which lead to the improved PK, it was both.

Thank you. I'm glad people are waking up to this fact.

FriedEgg

Sep 26, 2009
Jay is fine but replaceable with more production and cheaper price (Sammy Carrick).

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
I can see Sam Carrick snagging that 4th line center role.

JVR Bozak Kessel
Lupul Kadri Clarkson
Komarov Holland Frattin
??? Carrick Bodie

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
In fact Holland is not waiver eligible and can not longer be sent down without waivers.

That all but assures him a spot on the roster next year. Ashton games played is getting close so he too will be in the same situation also.

Lets "play the kids" and take our chances his year the worst that can happen is a high draft pick.
A high draft pick isn't the end of the world. Just as long as its not after 5 again. We don't know what we have in our own prospects if they don't get played.

Uh there are like two center prospects on the Marlies, Carrick and McKegg, and neither of them are really that great or stagnating in the AHL.

If you mean Holland he already has a spot locked up by default.
McKegg got 47 points in 65 games last season,not bad its up by nearly 25 points from his previous season.Could fight his way onto the team if he has a good training camp. Also Komarov can play C on the 4th line if he needs to at any point in the season.

Letting McClement go is just a sign to me that anyone with hard work can be placed on the team, as the way it should be. Getting a UFA 4th line centre wouldn't be a bad thing but hey, you don't know what you got if you don't play that player.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Good joke!!!

Seriously though, I had drinks with JMac's uncle a couple of months ago and he told me that he didn't get along with a good portion of the core, was unhappy and wanted out badly. This May or may not have had a factor in all of this. Either that or 30 GMs didn't think that he was worth more than 1M per.

Funny you should say that because Bolland in his departing interview yesterday said there is something really wrong in the Leafs locker room but didn't specify exactly what he meant by that comment of issues in the room.

Sounds like a team not very united and instead factions existing .. Mac and Bolland may not have seen eye to eye with another group and thus their departures had something to do with that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad