Confirmed with Link: McCann re-signed 2yrs 2.94 AAV

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
The cap hit in and of itself isn't bad. But McCanns inconsistency in production is a huge problem. We can't have a player of that ilk go 20 games without a goal. Period!

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
McCanns production was very hit or miss. I'd prefer him go elsewhere. Very much actually.

But that doesnt change the fact that a 3mil bottom six player is a 3mil bottom six player FOR A REASON

Inconsistency is such a reason. If he was able to be relied upon more, he would make double the money and play with Sid or Geno.

Having a dynamite bottom six player for less than or equal money is the exception to the rule

Last edited:

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I was a person who really wanted McCann from Florida. Everything I saw of him has come to Pittsburgh. Speed/shot/skills. However.. there is one MAJOR disappointment in his game. The dude reminds me of a Grabner like player where they have individual output, but lack chemistry with linemates. I cannot think of a certain situation where McCann has shown chemistry with legit any player. I cannot figure it out.

But under 3m. Yup. Good ish.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Honestly in today's NHL, a guy who can give you ~40 points for 3 mil is pretty lovely. I like his attitude too. He's good for the room and his linemates. He was always really supportive of Kahun.

Trading him made no sense to me whatsoever. He's 24. I thought we wanted to get younger?
So I'm relieved.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
But that doesnt change the fact that a 3mil bottom six player is a 3mil bottom six player FOR A REASON

Inconsistency is such a reason. If he was able to be relied upon more, the would make double the money and play with Sid or Geno.

Having a dynamite bottom six player for less than or equal money is the exception to the rule
I'm not stating that his contract is bad necessarily. I just don't think he's a good fit here. I sincerely hope this ends up being a sign and trade, preferably in a package with MM. I simply don't like him as a player.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
I was a person who really wanted McCann from Florida. Everything I saw of him has come to Pittsburgh. Speed/shot/skills. However.. there is one MAJOR disappointment in his game. The dude reminds me of a Grabner like player where they have individual output, but lack chemistry with linemates. I cannot think of a certain situation where McCann has shown chemistry with legit any player. I cannot figure it out.

But under 3m. Yup. Good ish.
Yeah that is a tough thing to pin down. It's true. Most of his production since coming to Pittsburgh entailed a lot of individual efforts. Odd-man rushes and such.

But he's still only 24 and I was not ready to part with him. I still like the idea of him in the top 6 if they need to shuffle things around. It was only one full season with us. He deserves more opportunities. He may surprise us yet.

Reactions: ColePens

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Honestly in today's NHL, a guy who can give you ~40 points for 3 mil is pretty lovely. I like his attitude too. He's good for the room and his linemates. He was always really supportive of Kahun.

Trading him made no sense to me whatsoever. He's 24. I thought we wanted to get younger?
So I'm relieved.
Him and Kahun did in fact have good chemistry, when Kahun left McCann was largely MIA.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
McCann was obviously hurt last year. His production fell off when he took an awkward hit and missed a few shifts. If we dumped guys after any slump we’d have gotten rid of Rust years ago.

Even still .5 PPG of mostly even strength production is just fine for that price, especially for a 24 year old that could reasonably continue to get better.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I just hope he's played as the LW on that 3rd line. He's got way more opportunity to use his strengths at wing as opposed to center, imo.

I also hope we find a way to deal Hornqvist, because I don't know how we'll land the 3C we need without doing so--cap-wise, or assets via trade-wise.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Not true. Him and Kahun had a hot month and then died down.
It only died down because Kahun got injured. Then he came back and then missed another game or two I believe. So for a while they really weren't playing together all that much.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
McCann was obviously hurt last year. His production fell off when he took an awkward hit and missed a few shifts. If we dumped guys after any slump we’d have gotten rid of Rust years ago.

Even still .5 PPG of mostly even strength production is just fine for that price, especially for a 24 year old that could reasonably continue to get better.
The raw numbers aren't bad, but he went soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo cold, it would make an Eskimo blush. Can't have that.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
A. Signing a player to a great contract and immediately trading him sends a terrible message about how players would be treated by the Pens.

B. That he can play center and wing is a good thing. Versatility is always a good thing.

C. He is still very young and can grow.

D. The injury argument makes a lot of sense.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Incorrect. When that injury hit Kahun was with Malkin.
I'd have to go back and look, which I'm not interested in doing. I just remember it differently. He produced well with Kahun, when they got split up for whatever reason he dried up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad