Confirmed with Link: McCann re-signed 2yrs 2.94 AAV

JRS91

Jul 4, 2010
I like it a lot.

I'm not sure why people have been so low on McCann. He might not be a center, but he's versatile enough to play there. He's a solid two-way player, has good speed, decent hands. I'd much rather have him at around $3M a season than Sheary or Simon.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
There's a lot of assumptions that McCann will be here next season but I'm not sure I'd buy that necessarily. Riikola too. I know it's unusual for RFAs to be traded so soon after signing, but we live in unusual times and they now come with the gift of cost certainty for other teams.

And if not them, then other guys have to get traded. The cap numbers are pretty unforgiving on that.

Counter point, JR has f***ed the cap situation before. Trading Despres for Lovejoy and not being able to call someone up when Letang went down until they could use an emergency recall. Not being able to sign Pettersson to a long term deal because he had Johnson and Gudbranson who I believe he could only keep at the start of the season because of injuries. Not cap related, but he also thought he could reacquire Hagelin when he couldn’t. There’s a chance he just f***s the cap situation for a bit.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
If he could juat take that next step we could have a 40 point 3c yhat is sound defensively.

I

just

dont

see

it

happening

:(

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Counter point, JR has f***ed the cap situation before. Trading Despres for Lovejoy and not being able to call someone up when Letang went down until they could use an emergency recall. Not being able to sign Pettersson to a long term deal because he had Johnson and Gudbranson who I believe he could only keep at the start of the season because of injuries. Not cap related, but he also thought he could reacquire Hagelin when he couldn’t. There’s a chance he just f***s the cap situation for a bit.

So the time Rutherford had to trade a guy to get under the cap is an example of why the cap numbers pointing to more trades is wrong?

Cool cool cool.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
So the time Rutherford had to trade a guy to get under the cap is an example of why the cap numbers pointing to more trades is wrong?

Cool cool cool.

No, it's pointing to the fact that with JR those trades could happen a week into next season or that the signings don't necessarily point to a plan to trade away players because he's made a mess of these things before.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
I suspect Lafferty, Jarry will be the next to sign once Murray is moved. I don;t think Horny will be moved and I suspect GMJR will have some cap room to add either before the season or at the TDL.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
If he likes it and engaged that's good. He looked really good when he first got here. He has a lot of upside.

Reactions: ownal

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
From the standpoint of "changes will happen" and the issues with our 3rd line, I genuinely didn't expect McCann back. Not that I saw him as a valuable asset or anything, but, seems odd to me.

I don't hate McCann, but I don't think he's a 3C. Seems like we're hellbent on essentially keeping the 3rd line relatively the same, and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little concerned McCann will be back at 3C at the drop of a hat if/when the new guy struggles or we simply can't find a better option due to cap constraints or a lack of assets to acquire someone via trade.

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
I'm on board with those saying "it's a good value, but is it the right value".

He honestly seems like one of our best trading chips, so I'm wondering if this is just JR getting him a contract that he can move later.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Short term and a very fair contract for both. There is ZERO to complain about here.

O I can complain sir. Lol.

IMO, he has tunnel goggles so he can't play with 87 or 71. And he wants to play center but we need just the right ingredients around him to make that happen. And he's not a guy I trust matching up against top end players even if we did build a line around him.

We'd be better off using the cap and his trade value, still being seen as a guy with untapped potential, to bring in a proven prototypical 3C and/or adding some more mobility/scoring on defense.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
I mean, the team isn't gonna improve on him for 3mil really, so good lock up

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad