Confirmed with Link: McCann re-signed 2yrs 2.94 AAV

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
I think McCann's most ideal usage is a 3rd line LW that subs into a top-6 center spot when Crosby and Malkin are hurt. If you have the cap space to make that work, I am very happy with running with that usage for him.

I'm beating a dead horse, but I still think Hornqvist should be the guy to go. I don't like a McCann-Hornqvist wing duo because you need an extremely good playmaking center to compensate for the lack of playmaking from those two. If it was McCann-Simon or McCann-Poulin, I wouldn't have that concern. McCann-Hornqvist gives me hardcore Kunitz-Dupuis vibes, and Kunitz-Dupuis didn't even work in the playoffs with Crosby as the center.
I agree about Hornqvist, but Kunitz-Dupuis with Crosby was only tried for a few games in one playoff year with Bylsma as coach, so I don't think we can say it didn't work.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
The only year Crosby was with those two in the playoffs was 2013, after they pulled Iginla off his line.

Had to think about that. You're right. 11 he was hurt. 12 he was with Sullivan and Dupes. 14, ol Gibson was on RW.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
McCann needs to be re-trained at centre if he's going to be 3C. Otherwise I'm happy with him in any top 9 wing position. Solid signing.

Reactions: Jaded-Fan

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
They need to provide McCann linemates and leave him be. I was just going through how many line combos he was a part of - 137. The average for a player at EV is usually around 90-100, and they have a line they have played with 15-20% of the time. He didn't play with any combo more than 9% of the time. Part of that is that he didn't mesh that well with anyone (aside from Kahun, IMO), but sometimes you have to let the guy be and give him some stability. Poulin may be a really good fit with McCann.

McCann to me is a guy who is the perfect 3rd wheel on a line with two more skilled linemates because he has such a strong two way game.

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Hopefully this is a sign and trade. At least we garnered cost certainty. That may help his trade value ever so slightly.

The Pens in general don't seem to be a "sign and trade" kind of team. It's extremely unusual for any NHL team to do it, for that matter (no matter how much fans speculate about such deals). So I think this means that the Pens intend to keep him, at least to start the season (given that JR is the GM, all bets are off once the season starts, though).

What I find interesting is how much media speculation there was that McCann would be traded until this happened. I suspect there are three possibilities:
1. JR tested the market, and didn't get any offers that were worthwhile.
2. With Recchi gone, and Velucci on staff, maybe the coaching staff has a different overall opinion of him now.
3. It was always random speculation, and once one media member started writing stories about it, others jumped on the bandwagon...

I'll admit that at first, I thought it was either (1) or (2), but once I remembered that (3) was a possibility, well, I know which one I now think is the most likely....

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
This deal reminds me of the Pettersson deal.

Nice vanilla player who got a market (or even slightly better than market) deal, but on a team where the mix needs refreshing and you need a lot less vanilla . . . I just don't get it.

Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004

Nice vanilla player who got a market (or even slightly better than market) deal, but on a team where the mix needs refreshing and you need a lot less vanilla . . . I just don't get it.

Sure seems like this team has an absolute pantload of "all around" kind of players but very few who bring something more specialized, huh? Like a bunch of Swiss army knives but no purpose built field knife to pry that boulder off your leg.

I like McCann and this contract fine. I just dunno what to think about where to put him after last year.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I’m going to hope he turns into a 3C for us on a rather cheap contract, but you do you..
I want him gone. I don't like how cold he gets. I want consistency. He needs to go. Him and JJ and MM. Maybe someone else as well. But those three need to leave the commonwealth.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
What I see is lots of options.

As had been pointed out, injuries played a role last year.

He might be a 3C. But if not he can play wing. Or be trade bait. At under $3 million per year we can find out on the cheap.

I think some people are forgetting we paid Nick Spaling 800k less on a similar term over five years ago.

Reactions: ownal and Jaded-Fan

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
I'm not sure what the issue is. I think this is a fine signing, and clearly McCann thinks he can do more hence the short term which is actually in our favor. We want players that are fast and can play fast. He checks off both boxes.

Personally McCann plays a similar game to Tanev but with a bit more scoring ability, and a little less buzzsaw. Honestly having both types of players is good for us. I think the bigger issue is how is he being used, and the players he his being complemented with.

Some have stated that he did well on the 2nd line, so maybe it's time to have Malkin/Crosby play together on one line instead of expecting a 33 and 34 year old s to carry their own lines in all situations. Just a thought.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
I'm not sure what the issue is. I think this is a fine signing, and clearly McCann thinks he can do more hence the short term which is actually in our favor. We want players that are fast and can play fast. He checks off both boxes.

Personally McCann plays a similar game to Tanev but with a bit more scoring ability, and a little less buzzsaw. Honestly having both types of players is good for us. I think the bigger issue is how is he being used, and the players he his being complemented with.

Some have stated that he did well on the 2nd line, so maybe it's time to have Malkin/Crosby play together on one line instead of expecting a 33 and 34 year old s to carry their own lines in all situations. Just a thought.
Well Malkin just had one of his best seasons imo. Derailed by injury. He's fine. I'm not opposed to seeing them together just for fun though. Who's our 3C in that scenario though? Are you assuming we'll acquire another center?

Since Sullivan will never unite them, I'd like Canner with Zucker and Sid if Kapanen is garbo. And if Tanev's line doesn't find that magic again (which is pretty likely imo), then he should be moved up all the way as well.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I agree about Hornqvist, but Kunitz-Dupuis with Crosby was only tried for a few games in one playoff year with Bylsma as coach, so I don't think we can say it didn't work.

Jesus...like others said, I had to go back and think about it but you're right. That is just flat out crazy to think about.

I think what they need to do is, not to sound cliche, is make a decision on what McCann is and what they want him to bring to the table. If it's a defensive minded 3C, great, give him linemates that help in that pursuit and judge him based on that goal.

If they want him to be a scoring winger, fine. Give him a playmaking center and wing and tell him to shoot, shoot, and then shoot some more. Then judge him based off goal scoring.

If they want him to be a playmaking center...meh, fine. Then give him some highly skilled wings that complement that. Then judge him based off being a playmaking center.

Since he's been here he's been about a million different things all of with varying success. Then they wonder why there's a discussion of "well...what is Jared McCann?" As much as he's played, I have no idea and obviously neither does the organization. Decide and move on. But then judge him based on what you decided he should be and not something he isn't.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I feel a lot of the expectations around here for a 3rd line production have very little historical precedent. The guy is around a 35 to 40 point-per-season player, how much more offense can you reasonably expect from your 3rd line? If he was putting up 50+, those are top 6 numbers that warrant top 6 pay and top 6 ice time.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
I know things went a little off the rails for him in the second half, but I still believe in McCann being an impact guy here (just not sure in what capacity). If it is as 3C, I'm alot less certain, but if the plan is to fill that slot in free agency, and then have McCann at wing that's alot more exciting.

Granlund and Haula are two guys I think that could take this roster up a notch.

I just have no idea where to peg their salaries.
It would be amazing to reel Haula in here. I'm assuming some team that misses out on bigger UFA/trade fish will wind up throwing alot at Granlund, somehow. But heck yea, grabbing one or both of these guys and putting them on L3 with Rust (or having them move up the lineup in case of injuries) would be amazing.

Obviously it would mean the end of Hornz. But could you imagine Granlund finding a home here and getting back to ~65-70 point form? We could dangle it as a good opportunity to rebuild his stock, and have him hit FA again at age 30 to really cash in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad