Confirmed with Link: McCabe/Lafferty and 2024/25 5ths to TOR for protected 2025 1st, 2026 2nd, Anderson, & Gogolev

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
We weren’t going to get more than a 2nd for Lafferty. There’s no valid criticism of that aspect of the trade.

Literally moments before the trade you posted that you were good with dealing McCabe as long as we got better than a 2nd. We got a 1st. You may not like it in a time value of money sort of way, but the difference between what will likely be a very late ‘23 1st and a ‘25 1st is negligible, and the ‘25 1st may very well be more valuable if Matthews leaves. KD got the return you wanted, and your reaction was to suddenly hate it and claim “he did well to secure himself a future job with Toronto”. If you don’t like him because reasons that’s fine, but your argument is all over the place.
I'm not against trading any players once Dach and Cat were moved. , I'm against the all out approach to picks as if there is a linear value year to year. Gms love their cost controlled prospects don't like to manage a pile of picks for reasons explained previously, its' sloppy, inefficient, and takes other acquisitions out of discussion. There is a huge difference between 23' and 25' or 26' If Matthews is gone without a replacement, Toronto is probably tanking and the Hawks don't get the pick until 26' anyway.

Picks that don't land elite players aren't that valuable and picks years out are far less valuable. Time matters, real dollars or cap dollars have different values to different clubs.

Even despised depth prospects that will be gone in 3 years will contribute more to culture and maybe some of them can get flipped in 25' 26' for picks in the same 50-100 range.

The obsession with picks is the problem, not an individual trade. He's already saying he doesn't want too many picks at once, KD knows he's screwing himself on value.

At least it looks pretty on paper

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
We’ve already discussed this but you’ve decided to ignore it. If the Leafs are picking to 10 in 2025, then they’re picking top 10 in 2026. Because they’d be picking top 10 if Matthews and Nylander bolt, at which point they would just blow the team up.

So you’re arguing over semantics. And guaranteed you’ll forget about this protection by the time the draft pick actually rolls around
Correct and while it’s unlikely they pick that high. Toronto is likely picking +\- 22 to 24 this year. The are a good team so later is a possibility.
They have nothing in the pipeline. Fans have Knies as their savior PF but the reality is last fall he played behind Hawk prospect Landon Slaggert.
I think most hope Slaggert grows into a solid 3rd line guy. … Knies was behind him.

With all the building in the east (Ottawa, Buffalo, Detroit) I could see them missing the playoffs and the pick being 13-16.

WindsorHawk

Mar 15, 2020
thinking they'll be bottom 10 in 2025 but not in 2026 is even more ridiculous.
How??? Because they cant finish 26th OA one year, then use freed up cap space to sign a few FA's that perform well enough to get them to 22nd??? Okay, thats a take.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
How??? Because they cant finish 26th OA one year, then use freed up cap space to sign a few FA's that perform well enough to get them to 22nd??? Okay, thats a take.
How is it ridiculous to think they probably will be bottom 10 in 2026 if they are in 2025? If they are bad in 2025, they are more than likely to tear down the team and rebuild it, or at least retool.

Reactions: ClydeLee

WindsorHawk

Mar 15, 2020
How is it ridiculous to think they probably will be bottom 10 in 2026 if they are in 2025? If they are bad in 2025, they are more than likely to tear down the team and rebuild it, or at least retool.
It could happen and isnt a ridiculous notion, but I was responding to the comment that said it would be certain.

WindsorHawk

Mar 15, 2020
To say that it would happen like that FOR SURE tho is hot garbage.
It's less ridiculous than them being bottom 10 in 2025 and then not being bottom 10 in 2026.

Leafs were 30th OA in 2015-16, then 13th OA in 2016-17. OMG!!!!! OMG!!!

Anywho, lets move on to the next trade.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
I'm not against trading any players once Dach and Cat were moved. , I'm against the all out approach to picks as if there is a linear value year to year. Gms love their cost controlled prospects don't like to manage a pile of picks for reasons explained previously, its' sloppy, inefficient, and takes other acquisitions out of discussion. There is a huge difference between 23' and 25' or 26' If Matthews is gone without a replacement, Toronto is probably tanking and the Hawks don't get the pick until 26' anyway.

Picks that don't land elite players aren't that valuable and picks years out are far less valuable. Time matters, real dollars or cap dollars have different values to different clubs.

Even despised depth prospects that will be gone in 3 years will contribute more to culture and maybe some of them can get flipped in 25' 26' for picks in the same 50-100 range.

The obsession with picks is the problem, not an individual trade. He's already saying he doesn't want too many picks at once, KD knows he's screwing himself on value.

At least it looks pretty on paper
You thimk if Matthews walks Toronto will be probably tanking? Stop, this is way out of the realm of watching the outcomes and making sensible statements.

giza

Jul 19, 2011
I wish these were 2023 draft picks, but it's not about one particular draft anyway....

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Wait, I’m just seeing this Luke Schenn for a 3rd deal.

Is McCabe really regarded as being that much better where he can return a 1st?

I’ve said before that I’m pretty terrible at evaluating defensemen, but I didn’t really think the gap was that huge between McCabe and Schenn. Good for Toronto though, they certainly added some guys who will be tough to play against.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014

I’ve said before that I’m pretty terrible at evaluating defensemen, but I didn’t really think the gap was that huge between McCabe and Schenn. Good for Toronto though, they certainly added some guys who will be tough to play against.
McCabe has been better, and we're also retaining on him until the end of the 24-25 season.

TheFridge

Mar 20, 2022

Luke Schenn is a third-pairing D and he's a rental. McCabe is a top-4 D with term on his contract. If anything, TOR probably overpaid for Schenn with a third.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
McCabe has been better, and we're also retaining on him until the end of the 24-25 season.
Luke Schenn is a third-pairing D and he's a rental. McCabe is a top-4 D with term on his contract. If anything, TOR probably overpaid for Schenn with a third.
Saying McCabe is a top-4 and Schenn is a third-pair makes the gap sound a lot bigger than saying a #4 vs a #5.

If retaining for a year and a half bumps a third rounder (or second considering McCabe is a bit better in this explanation) to a first rounder, then that seems pretty damn good to me.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Saying McCabe is a top-4 and Schenn is a third-pair makes the gap sound a lot bigger than saying a #4 vs a #5.

If retaining for a year and a half
bumps a third rounder (or second considering McCabe is a bit better in this explanation) to a first rounder, then that seems pretty damn good to me.
Two and a half seasons.

• Wow
Reactions: RememberTheRoar

giza

Jul 19, 2011
As much as folks don't want to admit, this year's McCabe was the one envisioned and signed for.....he makes Jones look almost average----look at the stats with him on the ice and off....I hope him and Lafferty CRANK for Toronto----time for them to win a frickin Cup---Original 6, good for hockey!

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side

If retaining for a year and a half bumps a third rounder (or second considering McCabe is a bit better in this explanation) to a first rounder, then that seems pretty damn good to me.
Schenn is closer to Tinordi than McCabe.

TheFridge

Mar 20, 2022

Schenn averaged 11 mins a night on a good TB team. I'd imagine in the playoffs this year, if Schenn dresses, it'll be McCabe around 19-22 mins a night and Schenn around 11 mins.

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad