Confirmed with Link: McCabe/Lafferty and 2024/25 5ths to TOR for protected 2025 1st, 2026 2nd, Anderson, & Gogolev

Northernhawk

Feb 22, 2020
Bye bye Jake and Sam it was nice watching you play for the Hawks

You will forever be Hawks to gout along side the likes of Rich Sutter and Jordan Hendry

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Hi Hawks fans,

Great trade for both Toronto and Chicago. Hoping you guys can win the Bedard Lottery.

I don’t mean to intrude on your boards but can anyone please confirm if McCabe is stronger as an LD or he is more comfortable as an RD.

Thanks in advance!

He is LD who can play RD if needed for long stretches potentially.

His ability to flip sides also allows for more lineup moves/decisions/injury issues to be resolved.

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
I hope Toronto beats Tampa so Chicago gets a better draft pick, and then I hope they get swept in the 2nd round.

Also, with Kyle saying it was a choice to take Leafs 2025 1st rounder and that it spreads the picks out, I have a feeling we are getting the Rangers 2024 1st rounder.

Well, not really. He is the one that has built the team and has shitty goaltending once again.
One team will win rd1. If that team then loses in rd2 they both pick per their regular season ranking.
Losing in Rd 1 doesn’t automatically mean picking from 17 to 24.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
Davidson saw the rate for good bottom 4/6 type players with good value on future years under contract and quickly corrected the market

He did well to secure employment later, probably with the Leafs.

Retention and too good players under contract for late first and a 2nd unlikely to be in the top 50.

I'm not sure if this is better or worse than the Mrazek trade.

Well at least Gogoiev isn't tying up a contract slot through next year...oh wait.

Does Dubas laugh after these deals that help keep his job or just walk
Right before the trade you said we should trade Lafferty while his value was high and that you were fine trading McCabe as long as we got better than a 2nd. You have a puzzling dislike for Davidson.

WindsorHawk

Mar 15, 2020
Right before the trade you said we should trade Lafferty while his value was high and that you were fine trading McCabe as long as we got better than a 2nd. You have a puzzling dislike for Davidson.
Lafferty's value was high, higher than a 2nd rounder four years from now imo. That could have easily been beat with a 2nd this year or a 1st for 3rd swap or something like that.

This draft is so widely viewed as the best in ages and we still only have one (our own) top 25 pick so far and this is where the heavy impact guys usually are. We need to get in there as much as possible like st louis and montreal are.

As for mccabe a protected 1st in 2024, well, okay but why give back two 5th rd picks?? For waiver material. Again could have been this year, I bet LA or someone would have surrendered one way or another.

I dont want to hear about too many picks in one draft either---- Can always move out the later ones for future ones to other teams w fewer picks after you grab some top talent. This draft is so strong looking we should grab everything possible for trade ups etc. I sure hope toronto nosedives in a couple of years but they will spend to cap maximum if matthews leaves and still be alright. Just my opinion.

ozzzie19

May 13, 2015
One team will win rd1. If that team then loses in rd2 they both pick per their regular season ranking.
Losing in Rd 1 doesn’t automatically mean picking from 17 to 24.
Right, the best thing for the pick we get from TBL is for them to not make it to the ECF and for the teams that do make it to the conference finals to have fewer regular season points than them or at least not be the conference finalists. Aside from that, there really is no difference in being eliminated in the first vs second round.

The basic order of the picks is determined as follows:

1. The teams that did not qualify for the playoffs the previous season (picks 1–16)
  2. The teams that made the playoffs in the previous season but did not win either their division in the regular season or play in the Conference Finals (picks 17–24 up to 28)
  3. The teams that won their divisions in the previous season but did not play in the Conference Finals (potentially picks 25–28)
  4. The teams that lose in Conference Finals (picks 29 and 30)
  5. The team that was the runner-up in the Stanley Cup Finals (pick 31)
  6. The team that won the Stanley Cup in the previous season (pick 32)
The number of teams in the second and third group depends on whether the Conference finalists also won their division. The teams in each group (other than the Stanley Cup winner and runner up) are ordered within that group based on their point totals in the preceding regular season (with the lowest point total picking first).

So Chicago is on the 2030s plan. Great.
KD literally said that he wanted later year picks for the potential ability to trade them. If anything, the takeaway from today is maybe he envisions turning the corner on the rebuild sooner than we thought.

Reactions: WindsorHawk

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
Lafferty's value was high, higher than a 2nd rounder four years from now imo. That could have easily been beat with a 2nd this year or a 1st for 3rd swap or something like that.

This draft is so widely viewed as the best in ages and we still only have one (our own) top 25 pick so far and this is where the heavy impact guys usually are. We need to get in there as much as possible like st louis and montreal are.

As for mccabe a protected 1st in 2024, well, okay but why give back two 5th rd picks?? For waiver material. Again could have been this year, I bet LA or someone would have surrendered one way or another.

I dont want to hear about too many picks in one draft either---- Can always move out the later ones for future ones to other teams w fewer picks after you grab some top talent. This draft is so strong looking we should grab everything possible for trade ups etc. I sure hope toronto nosedives in a couple of years but they will spend to cap maximum if matthews leaves and still be alright. Just my opinion.
Lafferty was not going to fetch a 1st.

I can’t get worked up over 5th rounders.

As someone else said, if you told me a year ago that we’d get a 1st and 2nd for McCabe and Lafferty, I’d have thought you were drunk. We had three 1sts last year, and at least two per year for the next three years. Plus a ton of 2nds. It’s just what the doctor ordered.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad