Rumor: McAvoy and Bruins talking contract extension?

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
A bridge deal would be stupid. The Habs had the chance to sign Subban long term for 5.5-6M but bridged him and ended up giving him 9M per for 8y.

The new bar for top D UFA is the 11M Doughty signed. You bridge McAvoy for your 2-3y example and he would likely enter 9-11M territory.

Give him 6-8y between Pasta and Ekblad money and enjoy the next decade.

or just give him his max now and guarantee you are going to lose the battle

lets use kypresov as our example... and call it 7x7.5

McAvoy turns 21 in December so a 7 year deal takes him to age 28.... where he would be in his prime and get another max deal

you are suggesting that might be around 11 million... so we could maybe have him for the next 14 years at 77+52.5 for 130 million dollars under your plan

now I suggest we sign him for around 5.5 for 2 years taking him to age 23 at which point you are terrified he will get 11... so lets say I agree to give him 8x11... he will now be 31 when he signs the next contract and I can let him walk if he doesn't agree to a deal I like

so im paying him 88 plus 11 for 99 million dollars. I keep him until hes 31 and you keep him until hes 35

the difference between what I pay and you pay is 31 million dollars. and its when hes 31

do you really want to give a 31 year old guy a 4+ year deal for 8 million dollars minimum a season because that's what your plan would become. I could offer him this deal and get him just as cheap as you are going to get him... except of course you never got him cheap when he was young so you are now paying 11 mill a season and hoping he stays effective. you are stuck. while I would have flexibility

you got to be really careful when you overpay 21 year old kids by a couple million dollars because it really adds up over a 10-12 year career and can lock you into these huge deals for older players if you don't time it out right. just look at LA with doughty and Chicago with keith and san jose with burns and ask yourself if those deals are likely going to age well

Last edited:

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
In today’s NHL what is more important, the amount paid or the cap hit. Can the cap go up 10 million dollars in eight years?

teams are usually willing to front load a contract to give the player more real dollars up front in exchange to get the lower cap hit long term.... but the bruins are not known for being so quick to give up cash in exchange for lower cap hit as other teams are

then theres the whole thing about lockout protection... a lot of players will take a lower cap hit if the money is all paid in signing bonus and guaranteed

when you look at the contracts the bruins have given out in recent years you just don't see a lot of this type of stuff though. I would expect the McAvoy contract to be rather straight forward.

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
One of the (many) reasons Chiarelli hurt us at the end was being loose with the purse strings.

I'd rather wait the year & approach. If we pay AAV +1 mil to be sure, Im still happy - it means he really deserves it. I'm just too apprehensive to give a lot, while committing for a long time, right now.

Although, I will admit, nearly every team has proved (worst case) dead cap isn't a silver bullet.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
a 2-3 year bridge at 4.5-5.5

take our chances after that... giving him 7.5-8 now is just crazy

if he was willing to do 8x6 id go for it too... but why would he be willing to do that?
This is probably the likely scenario. In what universe is MacAvoy worth 7+ mil a year. His play has leveled out quite a bit. No rush.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I’m sure some will take this the wrong way but shouldn’t a cardiologist’s assessment be part of this equation?

Imo, no. Pay for the talent on the ice. In the event of some catastrophic career ending injury, that's the insurance companies bag to hold.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Bruins fans deem this kid untouchable and the future #1, but contract extension comes up and people don't want to pay him lol

Fans for the most part are out of touch with pay structure. Luckily our GM has the only opinion that counts and has a good track record with resigning his own, to team friendly deals nonetheless.

Reactions: OneManIsNoMan

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
This is probably the likely scenario. In what universe is MacAvoy worth 7+ mil a year. His play has leveled out quite a bit. No rush.

Since his rookie season last year he ranks the following among NHL d-men...

Pts - 37th
P/GP - 26th
TOI - 54th
Hits/GP - 31st

Just some quick ones. In the less popular plus/minus he's ranked 17th, which for going up against teams #1's since breaking into the league, that's actually kind of impressive.

I did chuckled at the "play has leveled out" comment.

Were talking about a 20yr old kid who averages 22 minutes a night for his career, playing against every teams best players every night. The kid hasn't even begun to scratch the surface of his development yet. Look at what guys like Trouba (1yr @ $5.5) and Dumba (5yr @ $6), who are both 4 years old than McAvoy. You could argue that McAvoy is as good if not better than those two right now. If you're looking at a long term 8 year deal, ya $7+ million may not out of the question. I hope it ends up being less, but I wouldn't be surprised if he got that much.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Since his rookie season last year he ranks the following among NHL d-men...

Pts - 37th
P/GP - 26th
TOI - 54th
Hits/GP - 31st

Just some quick ones. In the less popular plus/minus he's ranked 17th, which for going up against teams #1's since breaking into the league, that's actually kind of impressive.

I did chuckled at the "play has leveled out" comment.

Were talking about a 20yr old kid who averages 22 minutes a night for his career, playing against every teams best players every night. The kid hasn't even begun to scratch the surface of his development yet. Look at what guys like Trouba (1yr @ $5.5) and Dumba (5yr @ $6), who are both 4 years old than McAvoy. You could argue that McAvoy is as good if not better than those two right now. If you're looking at a long term 8 year deal, ya $7+ million may not out of the question. I hope it ends up being less, but I wouldn't be surprised if he got that much.

seriously, who knew upping your scoring to ppg was leveling out

Reactions: OneManIsNoMan

DrJustice

Dec 1, 2014
Boston, MA
Given Sweeney's history with contract negotiations I'd be surprised to see him given the Ekblad contract. He was paid like a #1 overall and franchise level defenceman coming off a strong 2nd year. Panthers seem to have jumped the gun a little there and I'd hope the Bruins avoid that because he's pretty far and away the highest paid player of the comparable for McAvoy I can see.

I'd say players like Theodore, Lindholm, Skjei, Jones, Risto and Trouba are more of the comparable McAvoy should expect contract wise.

All in all, I'm predicting around $5.5-6M at 5-6 years as a good contract for McAvoy. Would love 7 years at that price.

Reactions: Dr Hook

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
I’m sure some will take this the wrong way but shouldn’t a cardiologist’s assessment be part of this equation?

I think that was done last season. If I am a GM and my stud young player who I am betting on being a cornerstone of the franchise has heart problems I would be asking some very direct and hard questions to the doctors involved.

maxl7

Jun 14, 2017
One of the (many) reasons Chiarelli hurt us at the end was being loose with the purse strings.

I'd rather wait the year & approach. If we pay AAV +1 mil to be sure, Im still happy - it means he really deserves it. I'm just too apprehensive to give a lot, while committing for a long time, right now.

Although, I will admit, nearly every team has proved (worst case) dead cap isn't a silver bullet.

Chiarelli's overpayments were the result of bridging players and giving them "prove-it" deals. Or paying guys after one season of an inflated shooting percentage. If the narrative is that McAvoy is struggling, now's the time to lock him up while that perception exists, not when he's on fire and dominant.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad