Rumor: McAvoy and Bruins talking contract extension?

BruinsNetwork

I think there are some fans who are taking this report way too seriously. If McAvoy is using Ekblad as a comparable, that’s good for him and his agent. It doesn’t mean that the Bruins are using that as a comparable on their end.

I’m sure Pastrnak and his representatives were using Tarasenko as their comparable, which would have been fair. What happened when they got to the table? Sweeney got him down to under 7m per season, while every “report” stated that he’s looking well north of 7m per-year.

Both sides need somewhere to start the negotiations, but I don’t expect Sweeney to be shelling out 7.5m-8m AAV for McAvoy right now.

On a side note, and I’m not bashing him, but I personally don’t put too much weight into what Nick Kypreos says, and I most certainly don’t use it as gospel.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
I’m sure Pastrnak and his representatives were using Tarasenko as their comparable, which would have been fair. What happened when they got to the table? Sweeney got him down to under 7m per season, while every “report” stated that he’s looking well north of 7m per-year.

Not *every* report ;)

Mount Kramer Cameras

Jul 15, 2014
I think there are some fans who are taking this report way too seriously. If McAvoy is using Ekblad as a comparable, that’s good for him and his agent. It doesn’t mean that the Bruins are using that as a comparable on their end.

Both sides need somewhere to start the negotiations, but I don’t expect Sweeney to be shelling out 7.5m-8m AAV for McAvoy right now.

On a side note, and I’m not bashing him, but I personally don’t put too much weight into what Nick Kypreos says, and I most certainly don’t use it as gospel.

If we're talking comparables, it'll be interesting to see who of McAvoy and Werenski signs their deal first. That'll be a good barometer/bargaining chip for the party that signs second.

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
I have been a little concerned with his play this season (good not great), but am chalking it up to growing pains and (now) a possible injury.

I would be very happy with a 7/8 year deal under $7m.

He's going to get the money. That's the way the league is now. It will be for more than $7m per year most likely too. We are going to have to hope that as his game matures, he grows into a $7m per year player. There is a good chance that he will. He's not there yet, but most 21 year olds aren't there:)

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Ya that’s true too. Still think it’s fair for both the player and the team in that 6 x 40 range.

What will really goof it up is if some clown gives Gardner 8 million before they can sign McAvoy lol.
6X$40 or $240 million?:sarcasm:

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Saw Kypreos saying 7.5 Ekblad money.Cannot see how this kid deserves a red cent more then what Pasta signed for.Pasta clearly plays a different position but also clearly brings more to the table far as results go for Bruins.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I like em, and he’s probably gonna be a fine player, but he’s been shaky at best for stretches. I’d pump the brakes on the Brinks truck.

Reactions: 22Brad Park

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Saw Kypreos saying 7.5 Ekblad money.Cannot see how this kid deserves a red cent more then what Pasta signed for.Pasta clearly plays a different position but also clearly brings more to the table far as results go for Bruins.

I am inclined to agree with you here. He has basically this season to prove he is worth Pasta money. So far he hasn't. I think he will become a great defenseman, but not this year. If he gets Pasta/Brad money I'd be surprised. I also question the assumption that he and his agent are going to even ask for Ekblad money. We could well see a bridge deal like AOF suggests, or he takes longer at reasonable money: 5 or 6 years at 30-36 mil tops.

Reactions: 22Brad Park

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
a 2-3 year bridge at 4.5-5.5

take our chances after that... giving him 7.5-8 now is just crazy

if he was willing to do 8x6 id go for it too... but why would he be willing to do that?

A bridge deal would be stupid. The Habs had the chance to sign Subban long term for 5.5-6M but bridged him and ended up giving him 9M per for 8y.

The new bar for top D UFA is the 11M Doughty signed. You bridge McAvoy for your 2-3y example and he would likely enter 9-11M territory.

Give him 6-8y between Pasta and Ekblad money and enjoy the next decade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad