Rumor: McAvoy and Bruins talking contract extension?

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
I like the guy and all. But has he earned an 8 year contract? Sure you go less years now you might pay for it down the road but man.

Wouldn’t you like to see at least half of this year to see where the trend is? He’s not exactly lighting the league on fire right now.

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
So he's played 88 career NHL games at 19 and 20 years old (playoffs and regular season). He's averaged just a shade under 23 minutes/game. He has 9 goals and 46 points in those 88 games (+21).

I don't see the hesitation. Could you imagine if they had bridged Pastrnak and he were coming up again this summer?

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
If he shows development this season I have no problems with 8yx 7.xM for him.

3 years earlier the top young D-men in the league were signing for 5-5.5Mx6 years, Lindholm, Jones, Ristolainen, Rielly. Cap raise+ extra term makes it go with them.

I rather spent the money on guys like him than average UFA players.

He's not as proven or as good yet as Ekblad so as others have mentioned, 8 years at 6.5 - 6.9/ mil year sounds reasonable.

6.5M seems too low for the comparisons mentioned above.

Plays minutes but i have not saw dominance that earns you 7 million for 8 years like some here suggest.

If you want a quality top3 in his prime you'll easily have to pay 7M in few seasons, 7M isn't a superstar money anymore.
7M is fair or a steal for McAvoy.

Last edited:

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
Ya I don’t want to trade the guy. That’s nuts. Maybe just relax a bit on giving him the lifetime achievement award contract before he’s hit 100 games in the big leagues.

Pastrnak signed 6 years no? 6 x $40 million is plenty of term and money for what he’s done. Can still cash in at the end of it too.

If they lay off signing deadwood for 6+ million per year going forward they’ll have lots of money to play with to resign.

Reactions: Chief Nine

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Ya I don’t want to trade the guy. That’s nuts. Maybe just relax a bit on giving him the lifetime achievement award contract before he’s hit 100 games in the big leagues.

Pastrnak signed 6 years no? 6 x $40 million is plenty of term and money for what he’s done. Can still cash in at the end of it too.

If they lay off signing deadwood for 6+ million per year going forward they’ll have lots of money to play with to resign.

Agreed- a deal that is not a bridge, but 6x6 would fair for him. He's a good player, but we'd also be paying for potential that he will probably reach. That would put him at what 29 or 30 at the end, and yeah, if he turns out like we think he is into Karlsson/Doughty money at that point.

Duffy04

Sep 29, 2017
The longer the contract they sign him for the happier I'll be. I'd be fine with the Ekblad contract because I think that it would be a bargain a few years into it, and an absolute steal at the end of it.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Agreed- a deal that is not a bridge, but 6x6 would fair for him. He's a good player, but we'd also be paying for potential that he will probably reach. That would put him at what 29 or 30 at the end, and yeah, if he turns out like we think he is into Karlsson/Doughty money at that point.

That's pretty normal with high end kids.

They can't forever be just giving up 6M contracts.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I'd be looking at 8 years 50 million. Might not be enough to get it done, but maybe. He kind of is in that in between land for defenseman second contracts.

Reactions: BBruins

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Boston matches before letting him go to Toronto
Well wasn't thinkin' that ,honestly! Just that as in the Nylander situation,you can't 'cheap out' on Charlie! So gotta be over 6mil ,yes?
I mean ,you can't hype him up like he is the 2nd coming of Ray and then say he isn't worth locking up long term for serious money!

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
That's pretty normal with high end kids.

They can't forever be just giving up 6M contracts.
Ya that’s true too. Still think it’s fair for both the player and the team in that 6 x 40 range.

What will really goof it up is if some clown gives Gardner 8 million before they can sign McAvoy lol.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Ya that’s true too. Still think it’s fair for both the player and the team in that 6 x 40 range.

What will really goof it up is if some clown gives Gardner 8 million before they can sign McAvoy lol.

I'd like to see him on a 8 year contract if it doesn't mean something crazy, like Drai 2.0.

If Jones signed 5.4Mx6 3 years earlier then that estimate makes sense on a 6 year deal.

What sort of deal would you have in mind for him then?

Anything like a 8yx7M, like I said you'll have to pay that for a top3 in his prime easily in the following years and we could enjoy watching McAvoy for the nexy 8 years knowing he's locked up.
7M is either fair value or a steal.

Superstar's get 10M today already, we need to remember that.

Reactions: Dr Hook

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad